Versys crash protection - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Versys crash protection

I realise there are many threads on this topic...and it has been somewhat mind-numbing sorting through it all.

I went down on my v last august and incurred 4K worth of damage...well she's all fixed up and looks new again so now with sub zero temps and a few feet of snow on the ground I'm planning for the spring.

I just ordered some crash bars(I went with the H & B's) and am now trying to figure out which frame sliders/hand protection to get. Any opinions/links would be greatly appreciated.

Also...will these 3 add ons sufficiently protect my v or are there any others that would help?

pete in mn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 08:35 AM

Crash protection

From what I've read you should skip on the frame sliders (unless their attached to your crash bars) http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=4139 (read post 14) Invest on some good handguards with a aluminum backbone. The Barkbuster S4 Storm handguards seem to be a good choice and can be ordered readily online. Be sure you get the fitting kit (BSC-STD) & bar end weights (B56) unless you want to fab your own mounts.

Best of luck,
Chuck

"The feeling isnt fear, its just telling you to move" Rancid

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Wolfman Expedition Large Duffel
Seahorse top box SE540

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

chuck...thanks for your suggestion...I wasn't sure if I really needed the sliders.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:41 AM

I always think if HB and SW Motech joined forces, we would have got the ultimate engine crash guard.
Yes, like Chuck said handguards are a good investment.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Avoid frame sliders which stick out. If you need frame sliders then you need to find something that is flushed with the body/frame work.

Best HB bars and a set of hand guard.

Anyway the Versys is more of a Naked bike and most frame slides are used on full flaring bikes-IMHO

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Frame sliders should be mounted at the engine mounting bolts as that is the most sturdy area. Otherwise the mushroom catches on something and rips away at whatever you attached it to.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
I always think if HB and SW Motech joined forces, we would have got the ultimate engine crash guard.
Yes, like Chuck said handguards are a good investment.
I could not agree more, Why hasn't one of the big companies noticed that the crash bars for the Versys are good but still inadequate??? I suspect that in the future there will be more options for crash bars than we have now, I'm even convinced that if I had the materials and welder knowledge that I could create something rock solid to protect my precious Vee.

http://holan.pl/en/product/24/181/19...LC_4_Adventure

Some dont like the big gnarly bars like the ones on the 1200 GSA but I would love to see something like that for the Vee.
http://www.munichmotorcycles.com.au/...oducts_id=2693

"The feeling isnt fear, its just telling you to move" Rancid

"If you really want to do something, you'll find a way. If not, you'll find an excuse." Dad

09 Versys
Green

Mikes touring shield
Garmin Nuvi 500
Wolfman Tank panniers
HT Teton's
Wolfman Expedition Large Duffel
Seahorse top box SE540

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:02 PM

I went with the Powermadd guards. Fitting was fairly straightforward and took about 15 minutes per side. Very good protection against the wind with removable wings and an aluminum backbone. Had to abandon the bar ends, but I have felt no added vibration.

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
My "Zetas" and "H-B" guards protected my '08 in a 15 to 20 mph 'low-side'.

(However, I broke a rib.)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-05-2011, 05:50 PM

Although I would have recommended the SW-Motech bars, that's irrelevant at this point.

I've attached pics of what I did with the frame sliders I used prior to getting my crash bars. You could do the same sort of thing with some sort of rigidly mounted (non-folding) peg.

The extension beyond the crash bars keeps the bike that much farther off the ground, making it that much easier to pick up, and provides that much more space between the bike and the ground - leaving more space for your leg, should it get could between in a drop/fall. They also allow you to lift the front of the bike with a "peg-leg."

I've dropped my bike on rocks and on pavement due to a combination of both rough conditions, heavy load, and ass-headed drivers, and I can say this set-up definitely kept me from hurting my lower leg and aided in making the bike easier to pick up.

Aslo, I completely agree on the handguards - a must. Had I not had those in the aforementioned instances, I would have had broken levers.

Rear swing arm spools can also be handy in providing another buffer between your bike and the ground.

Oh, and hard pannier cases will help keep the bike off the ground as well

Hope something in there helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg V_HPeg1.jpg (289.1 KB, 444 views)
File Type: jpg V_HPeg3.jpg (280.3 KB, 537 views)
File Type: jpg V_Peg2.jpg (309.6 KB, 391 views)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

ed...thanks for the advise...why do you recommend the sw motech over the h/b? I can probably change my order as the h/b are out of stock.

pete
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:16 PM

I crash tested my H&B a couple of years ago and it cost me new can of black paint to spray the bar that saved the bike. I had zero damage to the bike and a bit of damage to my knee.

Clever thing about the H&B and not sure if its intentional or not, but they give a bit when you fall, this helps absorb some of the impact.

I had to straighten my bars out about 3/4", but no big deal.

Vice grips were to rest my leg on after the crash, ED strapped it up so I couldn't bend it and get it on the regular peg.

Walmart gloss black rattle can

Good as new

Machog

Last edited by Machog; 01-06-2011 at 01:21 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 01:23 PM

Garage
Try these guys i got my h/b's in 9 days while everyone else was waiting about 6 weeks.They have the best price and when i got mine free shipping. the have hepco beckers and sw-motech. i love my h/b's very sturdy good looks and no vibration.

http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts..../merchant.mvc?

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

ha...that's where I ordered mine from...looks like 6 week wait...whereas they have the sw motech in stock...I may just switch...even though there's no rush...and my barkbusters are backordered for 1 month as well...just not cycle season I guess?
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 02:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ullmandds View Post
ha...that's where I ordered mine from...looks like 6 week wait...whereas they have the sw motech in stock...I may just switch...even though there's no rush...and my barkbusters are backordered for 1 month as well...just not cycle season I guess?
If theres no rush i'd wait for the H/B's....but thats me

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-06-2011, 03:01 PM

Garage
What part of MN are you at pete. my hapkido instructor is from s.st.paul nice area been there in the spring and fall won't go there in the winter.too damn cold

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 PM

+1 to JDrocks comment. I've had both and imho motecs are a much stronger unit.
Barkbusters have saved my hands on a couple of occasions too
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

you guys are a stitch...it seems split pretty evenly between hb/sw motech...I changed to sw motech because they're in stock...not that I'll be using my v anytime soon!!!!!!

I'm in st paul, mn as well...and it is very cold today!!!
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 PM

ullmandds-

Well, it looks like the two most important people in the crashbar preferenece debate have spoken up. sambamboo and jdrocks have both have what I would classify as "very severe" crashes, while using SW-Motechs (jdrocks) and HBs (sambamboo). If you search through the forum, you can see pics and narration of the above incidents and decide for yourself.

Yes, the HBs can deform, I don't consider that a good thing. This characteristic resulted in damage to sambamboo's radiator.

What appears to be the most common reason folks choose the HBs is "radiator protection." I consider this a bit of a falsehood, and not simply because of sambamboo's experience. In dropping/laying a bike on the ground, the two primary factors affecting how close the the central mass of the bike will get to the ground are the width of the handlebars and the lowest and most extensive lateral projection on the frame. So, the SWMs project quite far laterally, at a point fairly low on the frame. This, in conjunction with the wide bars on the V keep the rad pretty far away from most stuff when the bike is "down."

Additionally, from my experience, and from what I've gleaned over the last couple of years, the clutch and stator covers are/should be of greater concern, as they are positioned at lower points on the bike and more exposed to damage when the bike is "down" on uneven terrain. I dropped my bike on some fairly good sized rocks this past summer, and had I not had SWMs, I would have cracked my clutch cover open - both times I dropped it, the rocks were prevented from smacking the clutch cover by the SWMs.

I also think the SWMs are better positioned for mounting foot begs.

See posts 47 and 49 where an unprotected stator cover was cracked. BTW, Sanjoh is a member of this forum as well.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...i+build&page=4

Sorry for the delayed response - been busy. Hope that provides some clarity on the basis of my statement - beyond blind/arbitrary "preference."

Last edited by ednukey; 01-08-2011 at 06:00 PM.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 02:14 AM

Good info ednukey, thanks.

Present Ride: Yamaha Super Tenere 2012
Previous Ride:
2011 to 2015 2011 Versys Spark BlackKawasaki Ninja 2010 to 2011 250R 2008 Plasma Blue
My V's Farkle Log:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode