Different sort of exhaust question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Different sort of exhaust question

All,

I've been looking at Versys for some time but haven't found a good answer. For maintenance, I use a lift and scissor jack. I've been able to use this on everything from dual sports, to GS, to SV, to Buell. The SV required some creative block stacking to get to the crankcase but not too difficult. The Buell has lift points built into the underslung exhaust - nice touch. From what I've seen in the showroom and what I've been told by other riders, you can't lift the Versys on the stock can and there is no room to work around it like on the SV. Is there a full exhaust system that pushes the can out to the side enough (and keeps headers clear) to lift the bike with a scissor jack? If so, does that system come with a can that doesn't require rebuilding?

Might seem silly - I like the Versys a lot and have had a chance to ride it - think it would be a good fit. But I don't want to add wheel stands to the garage, or stick a centerstand on the bike, just to do maintenance. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vospertw View Post
Is there a full exhaust system that pushes the can out to the side enough (and keeps headers clear) to lift the bike with a scissor jack? If so, does that system come with a can that doesn't require rebuilding?
No there isn't... You need the right tools to do the job.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2010, 10:17 PM

Add the wheel stands but subtract the scissor jack.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 10:10 AM Thread Starter

Rear stands vs scissor jack... wheel stands take up much more space, to do suspension work I'd need a rear stand that can lift from the swingarm pivot and a front stand that lifts at the steering stem - all more expensive. I can do any maint work required with the scissor jack - I'd say that's the right tool for the job.

Appreciate the info guys. Too bad though, there were some things I liked about the Versys.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Rear stands vs scissor jack... wheel stands take up much more space, to do suspension work I'd need a rear stand that can lift from the swingarm pivot and a front stand that lifts at the steering stem - all more expensive. I can do any maint work required with the scissor jack - I'd say that's the right tool for the job.

Appreciate the info guys. Too bad though, there were some things I liked about the Versys.
Well, that sounds reasonable.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 04:07 PM

Why not just make a simple center stand, and bolt it on, good for roadside flats to. Make one thats near the balance point of the bike so its easy to tip the bike a bit to elevate front or rear tire.
They are easy to fabricate, and cheap to.
I made one for my friends versys, its so handy, and i used about $15 of steel and bolts to make it.
She likes it a lot.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arewethereyet View Post
Why not just make a simple center stand, and bolt it on, good for roadside flats to. Make one thats near the balance point of the bike so its easy to tip the bike a bit to elevate front or rear tire.
They are easy to fabricate, and cheap to.
I made one for my friends versys, its so handy, and i used about $15 of steel and bolts to make it.
She likes it a lot.
Do you have some a picture or perhaps a step by step? I was planning on fabbing one myself once I got a V but if you've already done the thinky part....

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
All,

I've been looking at Versys for some time but haven't found a good answer. For maintenance, I use a lift and scissor jack. I've been able to use this on everything from dual sports, to GS, to SV, to Buell. The SV required some creative block stacking to get to the crankcase but not too difficult. The Buell has lift points built into the underslung exhaust - nice touch. From what I've seen in the showroom and what I've been told by other riders, you can't lift the Versys on the stock can and there is no room to work around it like on the SV. Is there a full exhaust system that pushes the can out to the side enough (and keeps headers clear) to lift the bike with a scissor jack? If so, does that system come with a can that doesn't require rebuilding?

Might seem silly - I like the Versys a lot and have had a chance to ride it - think it would be a good fit. But I don't want to add wheel stands to the garage, or stick a centerstand on the bike, just to do maintenance. Thanks in advance!
I use a "sky hook" to lift up the m/c in those circumstances. Right over my lift is a beam for the house and I installed an eye bolt so that I can use an old come along. However, Harbour Freight has those new fangled electrical ones which would make it real easy to lift it up just a little bit. .................Frog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Chiriqui, Veraguas, Herrera, Los Santos, Cocle, Colon, and Panama provinces of Panama)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpifier View Post
Do you have some a picture or perhaps a step by step? I was planning on fabbing one myself once I got a V but if you've already done the thinky part....
I know Lisa does, so will have her get me the dimensions, and snap pics of her bike.
I made just the one, but will make another once i get my versys to.

Time alone with ones thoughts, is quality time.

They say there is a lack of jobs. Seems here to be more a lack of people willing to work hard, and take pride in the work they do.

Frank
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:17 AM

Excellent. Many thanks my friend.

1982 Honda CB450SC Nighthawk
2009 Green Versys
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2010, 03:52 PM

Hope this helps.
Here is a link to a previous thread about lifting the V. This a solution that I made and found works very well. You say you have a lift, if it is the same type as me this frame is great for most maintenance.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...55&postcount=5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode