Michlin Pilot Road 2 or Bridgestone BT-023?? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Michlin Pilot Road 2 or Bridgestone BT-023??

Ok, narrowed tire choice down to two, PR 2 and BT-023.
I have read reviews/opinions from other forums and the manufacturers, which is how I came to these.
Since different bikes can handle differently on the same tire I am trying to find out who has run either of these tires on their Versys and what you think about them.
I am looking for personal experience from you guys to help in my decision such as handling on wet roads, cold weather, cornering, mileage, feedback, turn in, stability, etc.

Thanks.

2005 Kawasaki Z750S (Sold)
2007 Honda VTX 1300 (Crashed)
2009 Kawasaki Versys (Sold)
2008 Yamaha FZ6

Givi Windshield, Givi E21 Luggage, MadStad Bracket, ZRX1100 Mirrors, ER-6n Belly Pan, LeoVince GP EVOII Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 12:44 AM

After getting a flat on the stock Dunlop (4 flat tires in 40 years of riding and all of them were on Dunlops) I switched to the 023's after reading about them in the English Biker mag and talking to fellow riders. The ride is smoother, better bump absorption, and turn-in seemed a little slower but has gotten better with some more miles. Only have had them for 900 miles, but a friend has them on his FJR and has about 7500 miles and still has tread left, and those bikes eat tires. Definately a great tire in the wet and would recommend them with the new Conti's a close second.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 05:44 AM

I have the Michelins - very happy with them so far, great grip in the dry, not tried them in the wet yet but have high hopes for them too.

Something tells me that might be today from the look of the forecast.

Iīm not too techie so canīt give you a better run down unfortunately, but someone else better than me will be along shortly.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 07:38 AM

I can't praise enough the Michelins. I have my second pair on and love the grip, given I live in the PNW.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 08:11 AM

Hi Plasma,

Just got back home in a 350 km ride home in the rain. Was constant 120-130 km/hr.
BT023 performed well with good traction/grip in the wet. very happy with them.

Some info on BT023 at:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=4763&page=12 #231
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ighlight=bt023

Good Luck.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 12:24 PM
cls

Most tires do very well these days, especially the big name brands. I've had the PR2's on three bikes now, though not the V, and they have been excellent. Highly recommended. Having said that, I'm sure the 023's are excellent, as well. Find a good tire you like, at a good price, and run w/it. Free advice.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 04:44 PM

I run PR2's on my Speed Triple, best tires I have ever had on her, stick in all conditions great in rain. I am also getting more life out of them than anything else I shod her with.
Note they are longer to scuff in, about 500 to get the stick, but once they do...

AMA EAA STN
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2010, 09:03 PM

I like the Michelins PR2's way better than the stock Dunlops. The Versys is the second m/c I've used the PR2's on and it's helped both handle better. In Sept, the group I ride with annually went out for our usual ride in the Pacific NW. This year was through WA, into BC, down into ID and MT, back through WA to the Puget Sound. Five and 1/2 days, with 4 of it in (and out of) the rain. The PR2's were great..............frog

(Chiriqui, Veraguas, Herrera, Los Santos, Cocle, Colon, and Panama provinces of Panama)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the feedback guys. It seems the Michelins might be the way to go.
Has anyone had any grip issues in cold weather (30's to low 40's) with either tire?
Somewhere around 38 degrees is probably going to be my cutoff for riding.

2008 Yamaha FZ6

Givi Windshield, Givi E21 Luggage, MadStad Bracket, ZRX1100 Mirrors, ER-6n Belly Pan, LeoVince GP EVOII Exhaust
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 04:04 PM

I just did a little riding today, temp was about 36 I have pr2's and they were fine, although I didn't really push them to hard. Also should tell you that I have at least 10500 miles on them.

Those who say money can't buy happines haven't bought A VERSYS.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 04:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks glowcat, much appreciated. And excellent mileage BTW. At my rate of riding, those tires would last me about two years, maybe a little more!

2008 Yamaha FZ6

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 06:38 PM

I'm trying to make the same decision, my 2nd Roadsmart rear is toast, after 5500 miles. I got the same mileage out of the stock rear as I have the Roadsmarts, so I'm going to go with the Michelin, I think. The thing is, I can get the Bridgestone a bit cheaper, but I like the reviews on the Michelin, most gave it 5 stars on mileage. We'll see how it does on these Ozark hills!

My Album:
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma09 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback guys. It seems the Michelins might be the way to go.
Has anyone had any grip issues in cold weather (30's to low 40's) with either tire? Somewhere around 38 degrees is probably going to be my cutoff for riding.
Plasma........I've ridden with the pr2's down into the low 40's with no problems. In fact, on that long trip in Sept, we hit some low to mid 40's in light rain going over Lolo Pass on the ID/MT border. This road has lots of curves and we were moving right along and I noticed no problems at all...............Frog

(Chiriqui, Veraguas, Herrera, Los Santos, Cocle, Colon, and Panama provinces of Panama)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 09:54 AM

FWIW, Iíve been running (and have gone thru a few sets) of the PR2ís since May. Iím quite happy with the handling (wet & dry) and the mileage hasnít been too bad: Rears 4,500 to 6,000 | Fronts 7,000 to 9,000 miles (to the wear bars).

One thing to note on the PR2ís. There isnít a whole lot of rubber left once they reach the wear bars. I used a couple of the rears until they were just balding and when I felt what was left as I changed them it was kinda scary.

Iím just now putting on a set of Metzeler Roadtec Z6ís to try them out for the winter because they have a slightly more aggressive tread and the roads in my area get a fair bit of sand & salt.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 04:45 PM
cls

The guys on the Concours site swear the PR2's aren't as good as others in the cold, as far as grip. Totally different bike, granted, nevertheless, it's info. Do w/it as you will. Always show a little more care in the cold, regardless of tire.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2010, 06:15 PM

I just pulled the trigger on the PR 2 rear, 143.99 on sale at MSS. From the above post from cls, I am not going to expect more mileage than the Roadsmart gives, but I can hope.

My Album:
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 12:58 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to rponiarski
I had the PR2's on the Versys before putting the Conti's on and liked them. Most likely would have gone with another set, but they weren't available in the sizes I wanted when I needed them, so I put the RoadAttacks on. Also a good tire and did fine this morning at low thirties temps. Harder riding than the PR2s, but considering their price, the trade off isn't too bad...

Richard M. Poniarski
'09 Kawasaki Versys
AMA#: 674623
ROK #: 100024905
Everybody is entitled to the reality of their own choosing...

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2010, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks all for the info. Just as I had my mind made up to go with the Michelins, I made the fatal error of looking into the RoadAttacks since a couple people had mentioned them. I think I just went back to square one.
Seems there is a new RoadAttack2 http://www.conti-online.com/generato...ouring_en.html that is relatively new, like the 023's. From what little I have been able to find on them, they look like they will improve upon the RoadAttacks...similar to the 023's over the 021's.
I have only been able to find them at a local shop and they fall right in line with the PR2's price wise.
And if that isn't enough, I saw that Michelin is coming out with a Pilot Road3.
http://www.compacc.com/p/Michelin-Pi...-Z-Rated-Front

Decision making continues.....

2008 Yamaha FZ6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode