Need some advice - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Need some advice

Well, I was toying with an idea, and wanted to get some advice. I've looked around and didn't find anything, so I thought I'd post here.

When my wife and I ride the bike together, the Ver has a tendency to try to wheelie - many of you saw the aftermath in a thread I posted a while back. If I go much past 1/4 throttle with a passenger, the bike tries to lift the front wheel, and I'm tired of dealing with it. I want to be able to open the throttle without having any danger of lifting the front wheel.

So, what's the best way to set up the bike so I can minimize this tendency?

Thanks,

~oz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 04:28 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The Versys' wheelbase is a bit short, and the passenger sits behind the rear axle. Wheelie tendency is greater with a heavier passenger... One way to reduce wheelie tendency is to switch from the countershaft 15 tooth sprocket to a 16 tooth (6.66% taller gearing), as many have done. It also reduces speedometer error from about 8% over to 1.5% over actual speed, but with an odometer error up to about minus 6%.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
I thought you was going to say one way to reduce wheelie tendency is to switch to a lighter wife. I will have a 16 tooth sprocket shortly. My wife rides her own bike and dose her own wheelies. I have noticed when she rides with me I can lift the tire in 4th. Its more fun to wheelie with screaming in your ear.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:37 AM

When I put my 160 lb S.O. on the back - I've never noticed a tendency to wheelie and that includes the top case and two side cases.

I don't have much suggestions on how to fix this other than maybe ease up on the throttle, more parking lot practice with your passenger, increase the preload on your rear spring, maybe less preload on the front. Check tire pressure - Increase on the back.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 11:51 AM

You can also get up over the tank and put more weight forward when accelerating.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:50 PM

Looks like you dont have to spend alot of money on power commanders and exhaust, now we all know how to wheelie
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 06:53 PM

Increasing the rear preload should help some. You may also want to drop the forks down a few mm in the triple trees and get some more weight on the front.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode