New Pirelli Scorpion Trail - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
New Pirelli Scorpion Trail

Hi.

Have somebody saw that the new Pirelli Scorpion Trail has the same sizes and ranges that the originals tyres of our Versys?

Have somebody ride with it?

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo...ion_trail.html

Here in Spain we can't to put tyres with diferents sizes and ranges and this is the better option that I've saw? I think is a good option to do light off-road and good for on-road.

What do you think about it and what's your opinion?

NOT FOR RUN MORE, YOU AREN'T GOING TO ARRIVE BEFORE AND TO ENJOY MORE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 11:58 AM

I like the look of them and the way they are described, with mostly road use with a little light trail or off road, seems to fit my needs perfectly.
Thanks for posting. I'll watch this with interest to see if anyone has actually tried them and I'll maybe look into having a set fitted as mine are ready for changing anyway.
post #3 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 12:07 PM

by the way, what's 'new' about these? The video tab shows a launch date of 2008! Is it that the Versys sizes are now only just available?

post #4 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 12:43 PM

DAMMIT, just orderd the sync's
post #5 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurb View Post
by the way, what's 'new' about these? The video tab shows a launch date of 2008! Is it that the Versys sizes are now only just available?
The video is old. In 2008 doesn't exist these tyres with this sizes and ranges for our Versys, it's available from a little time ago.

Sure that this news sizes and ranges is because now there are more dual-bikes with the tyres like Versys: Ducati Miltistrada, etc.. and supermotards wich its owner wants to ride in dirty roads like Yamaha XT 600 X, Aprilia Dorsoduro, etc...

Italians?????? Pirelli, Ducati, etc... ?????

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:12 PM

How would you compare to distanzias?
post #7 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:21 PM

Found a review on ADVrider

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=382054

Looks like mileage you can have out of this tire is not that great base on that thread.
post #8 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:33 PM

3k miles seem low. I sure the distanzias will last longer. That is a very attractive tread pattern.
post #9 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 03:53 PM

I've had good luck with distanzias and Metzler Tourances. The Tourance I put on my rear seems like it will out distance the distanzias, so I think I'll be going with Tourances front and rear next time. Unfortunately, apparently Spain won't let you run the 150 tourance rear, so good luck with the Pirrellis.

Michael
Always be wary of any helpful item that weighs less than its operating manual.
- Terry Pratchett

post #10 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

The problem with the Avon Distazia is that there isn't with index of load and speed for the Versys

Front Versys 58W Distanzia 58V
Rear Versys 69 W Distanzia 69V

and here if you haven't the right tyres the police can to put you a good bill and when you must pass the technical inspection you must change the tyres because the index isn't legal for the Versys.

post #11 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nytrydr View Post
DAMMIT, just orderd the sync's
I don't think the 160/60 has been produced yet. They have listed it on their 'world' or euro site for some time, but I have never found any for sale here in the states. I called Pirelli USA customer service to inquire and they said it may be introduced at the Chicago manufacturers show if it comes out. Like maybe next year. The show is Feb or Mar I think.

For the OP, check out our tire thread in technical discussion - lots of tire info, quotes from riders, etc.

If you can get a scorp trail in 160/60 I would definitely go that way. Purported to be an excellent 95/5 tire. And yes, found on the new multistrada, F800GS, and Triumph Tiger 800.

We know you can get the tire in 120/70 and 150/70. So if you don't mind a little skinnier tire on the rear they would be worth a try.

The Distanzia is another one with size issues. The 160/60 is a sumo compound and can go away in a few hundred miles. Some have said up to 2-3K. The front in 120/70 is also sumo, but our bikes are light enough that wear seems to be okay for the front. There is also a 150/70 and it's a dual sport compound which should wear pretty good - 4-6K miles maybe? Again, if you're okay with a little smaller rear tire. As far as that goes, if you're willing to run a 150/70 there are quite a few rears to choose from, lots of bikes with that size tire. However very few with a matching front in 120/70. As far as performance, they get mediocre reviews for road and dirt. It's not so great either place. The sumo guys seem to like them, the bimmer guys don't. Therein lies your destiny with them. At least one rider mentioned that the scorp trails worked better on and offroad. Personally I'm not a huge fan of anything British, and I'm a Scot.

There's a LOT of data and rider reports, combinations, etc, on our tire thread.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #12 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-17-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi Repetto View Post
The problem with the Avon Distazia is that there isn't with index of load and speed for the Versys

Front Versys 58W Distanzia 58V
Rear Versys 69 W Distanzia 69V

and here if you haven't the right tyres the police can to put you a good bill and when you must pass the technical inspection you must change the tyres because the index isn't legal for the Versys.
That's tough love...in Spain. We I wish they did come out with the distanzia with a more durable compound I have them and only have 500 miles. No issues yet. Nice tire for Seattle weather.
post #13 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 09:13 PM

after reading that adv review, I'm still thinking pirelli scorpion sync for the next set...
post #14 of 144 (permalink) Old 11-19-2010, 09:44 PM

I can recommend the Scorpian Syncs, great grip on the road and a worth while improvement over my previous Metzlers Z6's off road.
post #15 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 03:16 PM

Scorpion Trail wear update

I have put 4125 miles on my Scorpion Trail tires to date. It looks like I'll get at least another 4000 out of them-maybe more. I couldn't be more pleased. Dry or wet-they stick. They do a good job in the dirt/gravel too. These will be my next tires for sure. Photos attached.

Motorcycle-Superstore
Scorpion Trail Dual Sport Rear Tire
Size - 150/70V-17 G--$150.99
Scorpion Trail Dual Sport Front Tire
Size - 120/70R-17--$125.99

Mr Miyagi
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6935.jpg (984.2 KB, 10180 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6936.jpg (981.5 KB, 920 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6933.jpg (945.2 KB, 6717 views)
post #16 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
That's great, Mr Miyagi!

post #17 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-17-2011, 10:32 AM

These look like they be a good choice for the winter in my area with all the sand & salt on the roads.

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #18 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-23-2011, 09:13 PM

Any noticeable difference / issues with going with the narrower 150/70 on the rear vs a 160/60??
post #19 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 12:48 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnbud View Post
Any noticeable difference / issues with going with the narrower 150/70 on the rear vs a 160/60??
I run a Continental Trail Attack 150/70 rear (Compatible with Versys 4.5" wide rim) with Avon Distanzia 120/70 front. They feel excellent in all conditions, with no issues or complaints whatsoever. 'In service' (inflated) overall width is 159 mm compared to 172 mm for a 160/60-17 street tire. 'In service' overall diameter is 656 mm (+2.82% gearing) compared to 638 mm for 160/60-17 street tire.
Scorpion Trail 150/70 is at only 149 mm width, with a taller diameter of 667 mm (+5.85% in gearing). It's about equivalent to going from stock 15/46 sprockets to 15/43.5.
post #20 of 144 (permalink) Old 01-24-2011, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the info Invader. The engineer in me tells me that mixing tire brands is not quite right, but many seem to be doing it with no issues, including yourself. Taken to an extreme, I suppose, two very different tires (front and rear) with very different grip characteristics could have you losing one end well in advance of the other - not good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode