Magura Clutch Mod ...! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 12:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Magura Clutch Mod ...!

I just installed a Magura Hydraulic Clutch on my girl friends Versys .... WHAT A DIFFERENCE ... no more vauge feel ... no more engagement lag ... no more lubing the cable to stop the stiff ... draggie clutch pull ... The slave cylinder installed in the stock mounting bracket that the cable did ... no modification nessary ... the master cylinder lever just clears the left switch housing also ... with the red adjuster knob removed ( the actual adjuster stays ) ... I altered the stock cable routing slightly to avoid kinking the hydraulic line ... I would highly recommend this mod for this bike ... I bought it used off of ebay ... almost any will work ... as long as it will fit a japanese dirt bike ...

Last edited by freewheeler; 08-26-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Awesome... Do you have pics of it installed?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:14 PM

Nice mod & welcome to the site!!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 03:51 PM

Sounds nice! I would like to see the pictures.

Graham

To do is to be. -Descartes
To be is to do. -Voltaire
Do be do be do. -Frank Sinatra

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

States I've ridden in so far

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:17 PM

Sweet mod for sure. I'm still having issues with my stock clutch not engaging right away all the time. It's very annoying. I've got a Magura on my Husky TE450 and it's the tits. However, my buddy put one on his WR450 has had some issues with the slave cylinder. I don't think all the slave cylinders are the same on all Japanese dirt bikes, because when he started having problems they began sending him different parts to try (at his expense!).

If we could figure out the exact parts that will work long term, this would be a very useful mod.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 04:33 PM
cls

I love hydraulic. How much dough and trouble are we talking about?
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Welcome & pics please!!!
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

From my experience ... most of the problems are user induced ... the first and formost thing is to make sure that there is absolutly ... NO AIR ... in the system ... once that is achieved ... it works flawlessly ... every one uses mineral oil ... I use ATF ... I might add with no issues ... Photos are on the way ... there are other things on the bike that might interest you folks also ... I'll let the photos do the talking ... once I get them uploaded ...
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 09:19 PM

Awesome Freewheeler!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-26-2008, 11:48 PM

Talking

Welcome to the tribe.
I have been thinking about doing this mod and you've beaten me to the punch!
Looking forward to seeing your mods.

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:53 AM

I'll take my stone-age simple cable clutch any day. But, make sure you do a write up on how you did it in case somebody wants to follow in your footsteps!

Don

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:57 AM Thread Starter

Here is a few photos ...

http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...ersys%20Album/

You will also notice that I moved the front fender up to accomodate a 130x80-17 rear tire which happens to be a Anakee ... the reason is my girl friend just got her licence ( IE inexperienced ) ... and being that I also own a Vstrom 1000 and a couple drz475's and a KLX650 with a vulcan piston in it ... you can guess that I spend alot of time on dirt and gravel roads ... which she was game for ... that rear tire ... mounted on the front slows the bikes geometry down and also gives more gyroscopic effect ... which is all good things for her ... I also had Galfer make me custom ... dual front brake lines so I didn't have over the fender brake line issues when I raised the front fender ... as it turned out ... I ended up with a Galfer rear brake line as well ... I might add ... also a nice improvement ... On the handlebar ... you will notice that I also installed handlebar warmers ... as western New York has a short riding season ... so anything to extend that is a bonus ... The sheild is a Givi with the wings cut off to make enough clearence for the Moose bark busters that I installed ... I have also removed the intake snorkles and the throttle secondaries ... and did the Vacuume T mod ... that is about it for now ... mods to come are KG clutch with HD springs ... and 08versys muffler mod ... I'm also toying with the Idea of boring the throttle bodies and picking up a power commander ... as I can tell there is at least 10 more HP to be gotten with the bikes present state of tune ... When that's all done ... I'll probably like it so well that I'll sell the Vstrom ... and pick up another versys ... and start the mods all over again ...
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 05:56 PM

YIKES that front tire looks huge!

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicyclebob View Post
YIKES that front tire looks huge!
That's ... Because it is ...! I just finished the KG clutch plates w/ HD ( IE 20% stronger ) clutch springs .... I also just put on the Cherry Bomb Muffler ... I think I'm finished ... for now ... !
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Interesting... Did you simply bolt up the fender's lower mount hole to the upper fork mount bolt? It still clears the lower triple clamp when fork is fully compressed? I guess the only drawback is that the lower part of fork tubes is now a bit exposed.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
Interesting... Did you simply bolt up the fender's lower mount hole to the upper fork mount bolt? It still clears the lower triple clamp when fork is fully compressed? I guess the only drawback is that the lower part of fork tubes is now a bit exposed.
Yes ... you are correct ... You have to relocate the brake line stay on the lower triple clamp ... because it does hit the fender when you bottom the forks ... One of these days I'm going to take the front wheel off my Vstrom and see if it will work under the front end of the Versys ... Pliminary measurments on the spacing between the forks and brake rotor diameter says it should work ... right now the overall diameter of the 130x80-17 tire is the same as the 19 anakee that is on the front of the Vstrom ... huge difference in width though ... all that rubber spinning makes for slow transitions left to right compared to the skinny 19 inch tire on the Vstrom ... any way ... my biggest worry is the axle diameter between the two bikes ...
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 06-21-2009, 11:13 AM

Do you have pics? I'm a female rider and am having trouble shifting in stop and go traffic, causing lots of hand pain because the reach is a bit far for my small hands even when handle is moved as close as possible. This sounds like just what i need to make shifting easier. Patti
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 AM

Do you have any part numbers for the master and/or slave cylinder that you used? Very nice mod.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapcec518 View Post
Do you have pics? I'm a female rider and am having trouble shifting in stop and go traffic, causing lots of hand pain because the reach is a bit far for my small hands even when handle is moved as close as possible. This sounds like just what i need to make shifting easier. Patti
rapcec518, your might want to check out Pazzo levers for your problem, it would be a cheaper and easier solution.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 09:33 AM

I found specs online for these hyd. clutches. They all look similar in cable length and the master cyl. sizes are different, the smaller the number the easer the clutch pull but you have better control with the bigger number master cyl. I am not sure on the different slave cylinder sizes but thinking of calling them on monday and asking what the numbers mean.

I would like to get one of these hyd. clutches but dont want to order one that wont fit.

I was wondering if Freewheeler can look and see if he can see any numbers on the master cylinder or slave cylinder, than I could figure out which kit he has and then we would know what fits for sure.

I tried to cut and paste the spec sheet but I couldent get it to work.

Thanks.
Darryl.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode