Crash bars for California Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 05:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Crash bars for California Versys

Hey guys,
I just bought me a used California '09 Versys which has the special emissions box which, apparently, gets in the way of both the H&B and SWMototech crash bars. Anyone else found good crash protection for the California Versys?

Thanks!
-George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome aboard!! Hopefully one of the California group will be along shortly to help you out...

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 07:13 PM

Just remove all the emissions stuff. It's not needed. Or you can cut the coverto make it fit around the crash bars.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 07:32 PM

Hey George,

I too had the same question a while back when I wanted to fit my '09 with crash bars. I ended up going with the SWMotech's after all based on the suggestion of a couple other CA model owners.

Here's my write up on it: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ad.php?t=10514

The only issue is the u-bolts on the frame. I ended up having a bit of vibration increase when I tightened the ubolts down to anything more than a tad over hand tightened. I also ended up using slices of bicycle innertube wrapped around the frame bars and strategically placed around the emissions canister to prevent vibration & noise from the bars. When I had them completely snugged without the innertube inserts, the vibration was a little much to handle.

To get the fit right with the canister still installed requires you to remove the cover over the canister. You would install the bar and set the ubolt in place and gently "nudge" the canister so that the ubolt would fit up against it (this is where I used the rubber as a damper between the two). Then just replace the cover and you're set.

After inserting the innertube bits and loosening up the ubolts to just a tad over hand tightened, they work great. I've put 1k miles on since my install and I don't even notice them there. And I've never had to use them (knock on wood!).

I have not tried the H&B's but here a similar adjustment can be made on those for the CA's. Hope this helps!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 10:38 PM

I installed the H&B's and all I had to do was trim off the lower bottom section of the tuperware cover and shizammm, done...Good luck

If I new what I was doing, I wouldn't still be working
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to DrTizz Send a message via Skype™ to DrTizz
Not that there is much difference, but for my '10, it was nothing more than trim a bit of the beauty cover and do a little wiggling to reposition the module and the SW Mototech went on pretty painlessly. The bigger problem was breaking the motor mount loose...

<><><><><><><><>
2010 Versys ("Black Bengal")
2013 Triumph Trophy SE

"If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science, it is an opinion...that means you, CNN!"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:12 AM

Another CA owner with the SW-Motech bars. Basically, I just had to take the plastic cover off of the emissions package, fit the bars, and put the cover back on (took a bit of mashing, but no biggie). The whole process took maybe a couple minutes longer than it would have been without the emissions package.

DrTizz speaks the truth about the motor mounts. Prepare to stand on your wrench.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 06:32 AM
djg

I do not recall the motor mount bolts being particularly tight, '09 V. The SW bars went on fairly easily.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode