Gutted the cat ! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Gutted the cat !

I had been thinking of removing the catalitic converter to free up the original exhaust without the expense and possible to much noise of a aftermarket box.
After seeing the exploded view of the muffler internals I bought a second hand er6 muffler on ebay so if the surgery went wrong I could fit that.
The pictures tell the story except I also drilled a 13mm hole through the plate next to the cat tube so some of the gas could get to the outlet pipe a bit quicker.Sprayed a bit of black over the plate which my brother in law welded on with his mig as I only have a stick welder.
Tried it out today and it is louder but not to loud, no sign of any backfire and will have to wait to see if the fuel consumption changes.
I have uploaded a video to youtube to give a rough idea of the sound.
The hole is 2.5" (64mm) and I filled the muffler with water to stop the dust when drilling the cat. and also used a long chisel and old screwdriver.

Last edited by clivecoo; 11-04-2010 at 04:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 06:54 PM

I'm not a greenie......but.....what's the point?????

Increased emissions & more noise are the by products of your surgery and neither are that appealing.

John in AZ
'08 Versys
'11 Victory Cross Roads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-04-2010, 09:03 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Excellent work, clivecoo. Very ingeneous way to get to the cat without ripping up the whole casing. Sounds great too. Thanks for sharing that with us. Very nice work. The finished product is in fact very appealing. Good way to uncork it without paying hundreds for a cat-less slip-on, and it still looks stock.

Did you kill the cat before you ripped its guts out? I didn't see any blood.

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:17 AM

gutted cat

i did nearly the same thing last year. i liked the sound but i would get backfiring (single pop) when using engine for braking. not nearly as loud as when i had the cherry bomb on. it wouldn't do it all the time. but i found it annoying. plugging the pair valve didn't help. also tried adjusting the TPS without any changes. may try the muffler again next summer.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 11:31 AM

good post , hole drilled, Just ripping cat of my spare as we speak
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 11:47 AM

Excellent. A $400 cheaper solution than mine.

Jmlm - the stock exhaust sounds like a honda lawn motor which sucks. Ideally one would gut the whole can, run a perforated s-pipe through it and wrap the pipe with fiberglass packing.

Not only does it improve the sound note, giving a deep throaty exhaust tone, but flows easier which will pick up a bit of low-end power, and the whole system runs cooler from less back pressure.

Screw the cat. I suspect half the motorcycles in the country together don't pollute as much as one locomotive. Here in CA, all of the auto pollution doesn't add up to one wildfire.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

Invisibiker, I know I only did this mod 3 days ago but there is a long steep hill into the village where I live and there is no sign of any backfire on the over run so far.
133bhp, I hope yours will be the same, let us know how you get on.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Interesting cat extraction. Great photos/how to! Does the power feel any better in the midrange? Any new "flat spots" in the power curve? Please lets us know when you've calculated your mpg.

I'm not positive, but I believe there is hazardous materials in most catalytic converters. I'd check into it before drilling one out myself. My data is a few years old, so...
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
Interesting cat extraction. Great photos/how to! Does the power feel any better in the midrange? Any new "flat spots" in the power curve? Please lets us know when you've calculated your mpg.

I'm not positive, but I believe there is hazardous materials in most catalytic converters. I'd check into it before drilling one out myself. My data is a few years old, so...
I have been out on the bike again this evening. I know it's difficult to explain properly but the bike feels nice and free and seems to pull easily without any hesitation across the rev range. I think the V goes realy well for a 650.
I filled the muffler with water when drilling and chiseling and wore a mask as I was unsure what it is made of besides some sort of ceramic compound. I work in the building trade and silica dusts are a real hazard.
If you keep everything damp it should be ok.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Very nice. Just out of curiosity, do you think the hole has to be that big? It appears as though all you need to do is drill out the cat. Maybe get away with a hole saw half that size?
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clivecoo View Post
133bhp, I hope yours will be the same, let us know how you get on.

yep. will do. am finished. Note, I holecut as a flap, makes welding easier. 23mm hole over outlet in my case. Test ride this weekend if get the chance.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-05-2010, 08:53 PM

Thanks for sharing .

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 04:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 133bhp View Post
yep. will do. am finished. Note, I holecut as a flap, makes welding easier. 23mm hole over outlet in my case. Test ride this weekend if get the chance.
Nice one 133bhp, 23mm hole sounds small? You must have had a job to work in that space!
I found I could only drill out the centre of the cat and then had to revert to chisels to get the rest of it out.
Did you drill a hole (13mm) through the plate next to the cat tube as I did? Don't know if it would have made any difference ? just that the voices in my head told me to do it
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Nice one 133bhp, 23mm hole sounds small? You must have had a job to work in that space!
I found I could only drill out the centre of the cat and then had to revert to chisels to get the rest of it out.
Did you drill a hole (13mm) through the plate next to the cat tube as I did? Don't know if it would have made any difference ? just that the voices in my head told me to do it
No, 23mm for the hole in the bulkhead, over the outlet. Is that where you drilled yours? But yep, Cat is a bugger to get out. Compresses/hardens if go too mad but yes, found chisel worked best too, and magnet to get lumps out. Lopped off the perforated end too whist at it. Still Deliberating on an AC/Dc Tig so had to weld with a cheap arc welder! - not pretty but can be done.
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 133bhp View Post
No, 23mm for the hole in the bulkhead, over the outlet. Is that where you drilled yours? But yep, Cat is a bugger to get out. Compresses/hardens if go too mad but yes, found chisel worked best too, and magnet to get lumps out. Lopped off the perforated end too whist at it. Still Deliberating on an AC/Dc Tig so had to weld with a cheap arc welder! - not pretty but can be done.
With you now! Yep drilled my 13mmm hole in line with the outlet between the spot weld marks that show on the plate. (not visible in the pictures I posted)Interesting to see if 23mm hole makes it any louder.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing and a better direction than the expensive slip ons. Anyway the cat wont last for ever so might as well remove it before the whole pipe goes.

post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Interesting to see if 23mm hole makes it any louder.

it does, sightly more hollow and not as nice I think, but can be difficult comapring real life to vids. So 13mm might be the way to go. I intended to play a round a bit so might try just the decat, or reduce the hole/offset away from exit pipe?

Had an annoying chirp though which hoped might be a loose/degraded cat? still there though? Must have a pin hole/leak somewhere (its not entry pipe)

Heres a quick vid, (cam inside a bag on bar mounts.)

Last edited by 4731; 11-06-2010 at 02:34 PM.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 11:46 AM
Ted

Clivecoo, where exactly did you drill that 13mm hole?
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-07-2010, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Clivecoo, where exactly did you drill that 13mm hole?
Ted, this should help.
Because I cut the large hole slightly off centre of the cat it was easy to drill the 13mm hole on a bit of an angle alongside the cat tube in line with the outlet on the other side.

post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-08-2010, 08:31 AM
Ted

Thanks!
Great post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode