stuck grab rail bolt - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
stuck grab rail bolt

I have taken my grab rails off several times-I have to remove them to install my side bag mounting rails. I was just about to do it again when one of the bolts (the right rear) refused to let go. The bolt turns on both ends (I can feel the other side turning with my finger,) but the bolt wont come out. It doesn't even seem to get looser. No, the nut on the other end is not spinning too. It's as if the nut is totally stripped, but if that were the case I would be able to pull the bolt out. I've tried with pliers & by pushing up with a wrench on the bottom. no luck. spin spin spin. I'm at a bit of a loss. I really don't want to have to remove the entire back end just to get a bolt/nut off, but I fear I might have to. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 07:51 PM

1.) Order a new nut and bolt.
2.) Mask off everything around the area with cloth or other heavy materials
3.) Have fire extinguisher ready and wear eye pro
4.) Grind that sucker off!!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2010, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack425 View Post
1.) Order a new nut and bolt.
2.) Mask off everything around the area with cloth or other heavy materials
3.) Have fire extinguisher ready and wear eye pro
4.) Grind that sucker off!!
While not as helpful or subtle, my approach would likely look something like this..........
May be partly why I don't do mods much...rather ride!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-01-2010, 08:12 PM

I don't think there is a nut down there, well, it's tack welded to the bracket to provide a spot to thread the bolt into. Maybe you cross-threaded it last time? What happens if you try to tighten the bolt? There is a spacer that's supposed to go in there, it's in there?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 04:10 PM
djg

If you have an impact wrench, an air ratchet, or even an electric drill you can get a socket on, try spinning the bolt while pulling up on the grab rail. The bolt and/or nut is stripped. There is an interference fit so it doesn't want to come out. I use this technique often for stripped hardware. After you get it out, you will need a longer bolt with a separate nut. Good luck.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-02-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Miyagi View Post
I have taken my grab rails off several times-I have to remove them to install my side bag mounting rails. I was just about to do it again when one of the bolts (the right rear) refused to let go. The bolt turns on both ends (I can feel the other side turning with my finger,) but the bolt wont come out. It doesn't even seem to get looser. No, the nut on the other end is not spinning too. It's as if the nut is totally stripped, but if that were the case I would be able to pull the bolt out. I've tried with pliers & by pushing up with a wrench on the bottom. no luck. spin spin spin. I'm at a bit of a loss. I really don't want to have to remove the entire back end just to get a bolt/nut off, but I fear I might have to. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks
Young Grasshopper,
I have eyeballed the situation. Grind the head off the bolt. The offending bolt remains will fall out. Remove all rear plastics. Buy new bolt and nut. Position and mount grab handle. Weld new nut in place. Reassemble. It's not that big a deal, but it must be welded. Got a mig welder?

The problem....You can't mount the grab bar without tacking the nut from below because in order to get at the nut, you have to remove the plastics. Conversely, you can't remove the plastics without removing the bolt. Your basic mechanical paradox.

V-Zee

"I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride my Motor-sickle"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode