Basic mods for a new 09 - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Basic mods for a new 09

Hello all, I will be picking up a new zero mile 09 Versys tomorrow. I have a KLR650 now and plan to keep it.

What I'm looking for are the basic mods that I will need to do? I know from the KLR that it needed the air box mod, snorkel removed, and carb tune up. Will I need to do anything like that on the Versys?

I'm a big and tall rider, 6-2, about 270lbs. I have already order the peg lowering kit, and bar risers.

Thanks

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 02:37 PM

this is a slippery slope
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 02:42 PM

I'm 6'2" also and...like others have found flipping the windscreen upside down locating it in the highest position helped decrease wind buffeting.
I went a couple steps further by drilling 2 extra holes for a little extra height...and painted the inside with satin black paint.

Heres a pic...I've since de-badged it and lowered it a notch or 2...

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Grandpa Ron; 10-27-2010 at 06:50 PM.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:01 PM

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

First put some break-in miles on it and decide what it is you want to do with it. Lots of ideas here but it gets very personalized, and not everyone wants everything (well, maybe for a few. )

The bike is ready to go as delivered. No de-snorkeling or jetting or anything like that for these. Some of us fussy types didn't wait for the service intervals for oil changes on the new engine. I did my first drain and fill at 260, oil and filter by the book at 600 and kept the filter box tab and oil reciept for warranty purposes, then another drain and fill at 1400, and finally to synthetic with a new filter at 2500. Now I'm ready to go for longer OCI's. The motor and trans smooth out considerably with some break in miles.

Big difference from the klr for road work. Bet you'll love it.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:07 PM

I lowered the pegs, raised the bars, re-worked the seat, flipped and painted the stock screen, installed grip puppies, and added some bags.

Hand guards and hard bags are still on my list, and maybe a hugger. But the things I did were mainly for comfort and utility, which is why I did those things first.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks for all the info so far!!!!!!!

I'm going to make this my road bike, daily rider to work. Work can be a 10 to 40 mile one way ride, depending on which of 4 offices I need to go to. Looking for comfort and rideablity, looking to be to make over night to long weekend trips.

I'm not looking for more power and more noise. If I need more power, I will go up to a Z1000 for the liter motor.

As for oil changes, I plan to change oil at 50 miles, 100, 250, 600 then every 2K after that. Will change the filter at 50, 250, 600, then every 2K after that. I have always liked Rotella 5w-40 for my bikes.

Mark
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 03:48 PM

The only mods needed are the ones you decide that you want. No Doo-hickey change or other such non-sense. You'll want some sort of luggage since you intend to use it for work transportation and week-end trips. Most of the available luggage is of decent quality, so it boils down to what you think looks good and fits your needs.

Jon Campbell

Motorcycle Sport Touring Association

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

STAR 2012 - Avon, Colorado

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 04:23 PM

Read Motoman's break-in method before you pick the bike up, you only have one chance to break it in right. A couple of extra oil changes and filters is nothing over the life of the bike. Don't forget to look at the oil to see how much metal there is at 20 miles . Shim the motor mounts. Go up one tooth on front sprocket. Enjoy. (til the faring buzz happens). Fix. Enjoy.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-27-2010, 06:28 PM
cls

There is no need to do anything to this bike. What you want to do may be a different story, but it works very well right off the floor. The weakest points are the suspension and brakes, but they're very serviceable for public roads, as is. Otherwise, spend as much as you like on it.

Last edited by cls; 10-27-2010 at 06:34 PM.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 08:27 AM
djg

At 6'3", 225#, I did peg lowering kit, mirror extenders, and a Baldwin tall seat to help with fit. I did Givi rack and E21 bags and a Bags Connection City tankbag for commuter storage. I did Barkbuster handguards and SW Motech crash bars for farkling. I moved my GPS from my old bike 'cause I'm used to having one. I bought some ROX rubber risers cheap on the forum, for help with mirror vibes, not bar position, which is fine for me. And a 44t rear sprocket.

Still to go is a Dallasdon center stand, and some fat aluminum bars.

Last edited by djg; 10-28-2010 at 08:45 AM.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
and congrats on your new V.

Take a long ride and decide which way to head on Farkles/Mod as they can be a bit additive once you start the process.

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 12:11 PM

I am more of a Steve Jobs "Minimalist". His philosophy is that the most important decisions you make are not the things you do, but the things you decide not to do. I've done the "Speedy" fixes to pegs, flatfoot and mirror extenders, and toned down some of the silver plastic bits in a Jobs-like "back to black" approach. I bought a magnetic tank bag. I'll probably chop some of the rat tail. But I'm resisting farkling by reminding myself it's more fun to spend the time riding than dorking around and adding weight to my V while lightening my wallet. YMMV of course. Edit - Not to say there aren't people who vastly enjoy both riding and modifying their bike, and I certainly appreciate the skills required to do both!

Someday is not a day of the week.

Last edited by Tigerpawed; 10-28-2010 at 01:06 PM.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I'll be doing that tail chop at some point, did it on the KLR. I hate the tails on both bikes.

Mark
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 02:42 PM

Check my album. Was one of the first things I did.
Keep in mind however, all of the pannier racks except happy-trail attached to the lower rear fender or license bracket. I just installed the HT racks and they are independently supported.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 03:32 PM

Chris, Your bike's got a sweet tail, heh. Good info on bag support brackets and their relationship to the tail. Your bike's very Jobsian when bagless.

Someday is not a day of the week.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-28-2010, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerpawed View Post
Chris, Your bike's got a sweet tail, heh. Good info on bag support brackets and their relationship to the tail. Your bike's very Jobsian when bagless.
Thanks!
I had to google 'jobsian'.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode