Galfer SS Lines leaking! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 09:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Galfer SS Lines leaking!

Hey guys,

I just installed new Galfer SS lines front and rear. The rear is great. The front, however, is seeping fluid from the right side connection, where the supply and crossover lines go into the caliper. From what I can tell, the leak is from between the caliper and the supply line. In order from front to rear is the caliper, the supply line, and the crossover, just like the stock setup. I've tightened it tighter than I feel comfortable and it is still leaking. I took it apart, switched up the washers, tried the stock washers, put the lines in the other order, and nothing changed anything.

I put the stock lines back on and everything is cherry. I tried both banjo bolts in the caliper to see if either was off, and the Galfer bolt has some play in it when threaded all the way in. The stock banjo bolt has no play in it. Could that be the issue? It still allowed me to put plenty of torque on it, but is still leaking. Any info would be appreciated.

Now I'm concerned because Galfer's website says they will honor no warranty unless installed by a professional mechanic. Anyone have any experience with them? Thanks!

B-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 06:18 AM

First let me say, I have no idea what to truly do. All I'm saying is some sites suggest using Teflon tape and others don't. Let the experts chime in.

Here's what one motorcycle site said:

Brakes
When a brake system or fitting is opened the fittings should be flushed and the system bled to keep air and contaminants from entering. Use Teflon tape or pipe sealant on all brake line fittings. Lubricate all internal parts of master cylinders and Calipers with the same grade of brake fluid to be used in the reservoir.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:18 AM

I installed these lines and had the same seepage as you.
I centered all washers and checked for burs. retorqued
and no leaks. these lines are the best mod I have done on
the bike. well worth the money and trouble.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 08-23-08_0914.jpg (238.7 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 08-23-08_0915.jpg (235.9 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg 08-23-08_0916.jpg (258.1 KB, 142 views)

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Buster, where did you get that little bracket for the rear line?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:33 AM

it is a rubber coated metal wire guide. they are on most bikes under the seat or in other places on the bike.
I have had many bikes and this was in the take off box.
the passenger peg mount was already threaded.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 11:09 AM Thread Starter

I gave it another go today. I took the SS lines and cleaned up all of the mating surfaces with 2000grit sandpaper. The one that I thought was seeping had a gouge in it from the crush washer. I think the crush washer had a slightly larger ID that it needed, so it didn't center well. The gouge was only on 180 degrees of the sealing surface. So I sanded it out, cleaned everything up, installed them again and bled, and no leaks so far. I'll be watching it closely, but it looks like we're in business for now. The lever is certainly stiffer than it was before. I'll post back with a ride report when I get a chance to test them out.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Okay, 100 miles or so and all's well so far. The response at the lever is awesome! I'm going to need new suspension now. One finger will put the nose on the ground! Good to know that's there when I need it.

I love this damn bike!

B-
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:09 PM

Nose to the ground!!

Was that improvement with just lines. Or did you upgrade pads too?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-25-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Just lines. To be fair, the stock brakes are fine. Personally, they did not have the response I was accustomed to, as I've always had SS lines. The sponginess was not cool in my book, but it still stops fine stock. The SS lines eliminate flex in the system and significantly improve feedback at the lever. I was just kidding about the suspension, but it does highlight the soft front springs. I don't know why mine leaked at first, but I've done 3000 miles since I put the lines on with no problems at all. The only complaint I have about the Galfer's is that the banjo bolts are chromed steel and will rust if you break the chrome coating when installing them. Othewise, this is a great improvement.

B-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode