Quick turn throttle mod - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quick turn throttle mod

I think I'm going to give this a try. There are several variations on Google but I chose this one because the bike is a Versys basically. Has anyone else done this with their V yet?

http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~sh...20Throttle.pdf

"When It Rains, Get Wet"

Last edited by antman325; 10-10-2010 at 02:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:30 AM

Not on the V yet. I originally used epoxy to biuld up material and make it progressive and worked fine. Cable length can sometimes be an issue but not on the ER/V by the look of it.

Since use a R6 and R1 throttle tube instead in the end. I;ve yet to figure what tubes works on the V. But go for, it could defintely do with modding.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:08 AM

If nothing else, that guys bike shows nicely with all that red anodizing! if you wind up trying it post up some better pics if you could. Especially the exact placement of the zip tie. It's hard to tell from the photos just where it starts and stops.

Thanks

Jsquared

Rider of all things 2 wheeled
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 07:11 AM

If I understand this correctly....I would not want it anyway. Say your cruising at 50 MPH and you want to creep up to 55 slowly. You give it a little and you could shoot up to 65 or higher. There would be a reduction in fine tuning of the throttle and it would be harder to remain at a constant speed. I ride with friends and my wife quite often and fine tuning the speed is a must.

My wrist is in good enough shape to twist back the full distance when I need to light the afterburners.

Just my $.02
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
If I understand this correctly....I would not want it anyway. Say your cruising at 50 MPH and you want to creep up to 55 slowly. You give it a little and you could shoot up to 65 or higher. There would be a reduction in fine tuning of the throttle and it would be harder to remain at a constant speed. I ride with friends and my wife quite often and fine tuning the speed is a must.

My wrist is in good enough shape to twist back the full distance when I need to light the afterburners.

Just my $.02

Yea, but this mod ain't for guys who ride like grandmas...

post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:14 PM

I'm with Capn on this one. Can't think that I would want my throttle set like that. Might be fun in some situations, but not practical for my day to day riding.
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madone1 View Post
I'm with Capn on this one. Can't think that I would want my throttle set like that. Might be fun in some situations, but not practical for my day to day riding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear on a bicycle View Post

Hmmm... Guess it needs repeating...

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
I ran a 1/4 turn throttle when I built my Triumph fuel dragster (MANY moons ago... ), and for that application it worked fine. On the V? I have no trouble getting a "handful of throttle" whenever I want/ need it.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:

post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post

Just my $.02
Riding in a straight line at highway speed is just about the last place I'd be worried about fine throttle control. If I can't manage the torque available in 6th gear at 55 mph, I don't know the circumstances where I could manage it. OTOH, over on the side of the tire, bringing the throttle back up, especially in low traction conditions, is a much greater test of fine throttle control. If you'd like to learn to be better at that, Rich Oliver's Mystery School or American Supercamp are good choices.

I'm with the OP, with a modestly powered bike like the Versys, it would be nice to have more immediate access to the power that is there. When I get around to trying out the G2 throttle tube I've got, and swapping out different cams, I'll post what I find.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Hmmm... Guess it needs repeating...

May as well repeat it again Bear, this is a Versys not a ZX-10.
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

So after about an hour of modding and fine tuning, the quick turn is done. I used 1 1/4 inch pvc pipe to form the lobe and some JB kwik to attach it. It was dry and ready to go in 30 minutes. I sanded, dremmeled for another 30 or so until everything fit and turned without binding. I then took her for a spin around the block and along the expressway to see how she felt and since it was dark I took it easy. The throttle requires far less action to get to the fun part of the engine which is the obvious result. It now feels like it has more power even though I know it's the same power being delivered more urgently and immediately. Not uncontrollable or bothersome though. My initial feeling was I definitely liked it and wanted to ride it more. I look foward to riding it in the twisties which is where I spend most of my time riding. As far as commuting I would say this mod helped me jump through some gaps in traffic more easily than before since the power is right there which could be helpful during a daily commute.

Here is the 1 1/4 pvc pipe cut the same width as the throttle cable housing plate to form the quick turn mod.

Here is the cut to start the fitting process.

Initially fitted with JB Kwik.

Sanded and shaped with dremmel. There is no set way to do this other than sand and try to fit, sand more and try to fit. Finally when you have sanded down enough it will fit and work.

Once it was back together, there was barely any freeplay adjustment left...just enough.

After a short test ride I would have to give it a thumbs up! Throttle snaps back with absolutely no binding...and all for a total cost of $3.00 which was the cost of the pvc.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"

Last edited by antman325; 10-10-2010 at 10:40 PM.
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Super Moderator

Nice job!!!

post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice job!!!
Thanks. It works and lots cheaper than the G2 option. I also saw the zip tie mod but I didn't care for how flimsy that looked. Be warned though folks...this mod is not recommended for those who are not positive of their mechanical abilities. Playing with your throttle without common sense reasoning as to how it should work and feel could result in serious injury or death. If you are not 100% sure about your ability to do this mod... DON'T DO IT.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:29 AM

Well done! Thanks for posting the pics.
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 06:55 AM

Good stuff (thumbup) ... How much less turn is there now? You get a fairly progressive takeup judging by the shape anyway right? Different bike but one thing I did was make a slight channel for the cable to run in to avoid walking to one side.

I suspect most street bikes are purposely made slightly too "long" to make harder to go WOT. but makes if feel faster/fun, and really makes sense going fast/leaning over etc. To go WOT typically means having to rotate your hand high or low which affects the rest of your wrist/arm and therfore body position. Or end up rolling it between your fingers in two stages!
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

There's 3/4 of an inch less turn now. I shaped lobe like that cause the cable wasn't fitting properly. So I had to sand down agressively right where the cables come out. I kept the rest of the lobe as big as possible to get the most effect when riding. That's why I had almost no freeplay adjustment...you can't get any less throttle turn, or any more rapid acceleration effect without getting a whole different throttle! I like the channel idea.

"When It Rains, Get Wet"
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Interesting mod but to scary for me to do or have just will twist wrist faster
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antman325 View Post
There's 3/4 of an inch less turn now. I shaped lobe like that cause the cable wasn't fitting properly. So I had to sand down agressively right where the cables come out. I kept the rest of the lobe as big as possible to get the most effect when riding. .
best of both worlds. get a slow intial pull to fast, keeping sensitivity off part throttle.
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 09:39 AM

Great job and write-up....thanks!

Ride To Live, Live To Ride....no, really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode