gear indicator help? - Page 3 - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 10-13-2017, 12:28 PM

Check out Andy Man Cam on You Tube he has a video of how to install the thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:38 AM

Garage
So I bought one of these IDEA gear indicators from Amazon. I bought the round indicator with green LEDs. Install is pretty straight forward.

Before I started any installation I checked out a couple videos on YouTube and did some looking around on the bike. First things first - locate your diagnostic port under the seat. Mine was actually tucked under my toolkit. My port had a cap on it and I used a small standard screwdriver to depress the catch and remove. I test fitted the indicator and turned the bike on, with the bike in neutral. The indicator will count up to 6 and then stay at 0. I started the bike, raised the side stand, pulled in the clutch, and shifted to 1st - indicator will indicate 1. Test complete; shut the bike down, set the side stand down.

Next order of business is to remove the plastics on the right side of the bike. The pic below shows the three I removed to allow maximum access. On my 2014 it was relatively simple with only a few Allen heads and a Phillips. I figured out where I wanted the indicator and how I was going to make the hole. I measured the narrow portion of the back side and found it matched, perfectly the black cap of a can of Brakleen. This gave me a ready made template. I would highly recommend making a template; it helps figuring out placement without a wire being in the way. Deciding on the left side of the instrument panel, I used the template to figure out a normal looking placement, making sure to leave room for the wider rim of the indicator, and drew a circle with pencil on the panel.

Searching my collection of hole saws; I had nothing that would fit - 1 5/16". A step bit would've been really nice, but a Dremel with a spiral cutting bit worked well with a little patience. Inspect the back side of the panel where you'll be cutting and ensure there are no wires or cables that will be damaged once you punch through. I cut short (inside the line) and then used a sanding drum to get the fit exact. The fitment took about 5 minutes. Placing the indicator in its new home, route the wire, keeping in mind pinching, abrasion, and slack for the handle bar movement. The indicator comes with small tie wraps, but I used some larger ones to strap it to wide portions of the frame. I also cut some of the factory wraps and replaced them so I could get the wire secured in the same place. You'll see in the pic that the wire is under the junction to minimize crimping. Take your time and really think through this part.

Finally plug it in and test it again, same as before. Satisfied it works, you can remove the adhesive protectors on the rim and seat the indicator, tidy up the straps, and replace the plastics. One thing to note as you ride and shift, the indicator displays the resulting gear position as reported from the diagnostic port. That report is made AFTER you enter the gear. For example when you shift up to 2nd, the indicator will display 1 until you release the clutch and 2nd gear is engaged. Then the indicator will display 2. In other words, there will be a slight delay between shift and display. The same goes for downshifts and if you come to a stop, coasting with the clutch in as you downshift, the last gear you were in will be displayed. It's not uncommon you will be at a stop light or sign and the indicator displays 2 or even 3. I'll usually let the clutch out slowly without throttle to synch the indicator with the gear I'm in - first.

I've been riding with this for almost a week now and I love it! The green LED is nice and bright and clear, even in direct sunlight; the fuzziness in the pic is just the way it rendered. I know exactly what gear I'm in and it gives me just a little more confidence.

I'll post up some pics after work.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3819.jpg (47.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3820.jpg (28.1 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3821.jpg (48.3 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3822.jpg (48.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3823.jpg (45.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3824.jpg (27.7 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3825.jpg (30.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3826.jpg (31.8 KB, 23 views)
AlaskaJeff likes this.

Last edited by sgtmango333; 08-09-2018 at 07:50 AM. Reason: Added some pic references and explanations. Corrected some grammar and other misc. errors.
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 AM

Garage
So would a sprocket change affect it's accuracy? Looking to do this one too.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 10:57 AM

Garage
I highly doubt it. The diagnostic port is reporting what's going on with the transmission and a sprocket change would not change that. You may end up affecting the accuracy of your speedometer though.
StormRider likes this.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM

Garage
Cool.

2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 - Barkbuster hand guards, Hepko & Becker crash bars, Oxford Heated sports grips, Motowerk lowering Kit with Kickstand insert, Shad SH45 Top Case and Brake Light, Shad Versys Top Mount Kit, Superlite 43T Rear Sprocket, National Cycle VStream Sport Touring Windscreen.

Roaming the country around Columbus in ever wider circles.
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRider View Post
So would a sprocket change affect it's accuracy? Looking to do this one too.
Nope.
StormRider likes this.
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-04-2019, 09:03 PM

Garage
Integrating GIPro within instrument cluster

I'm casually considering a cleanly integrated install of the Healtech GIPro gear indicator inside the speedometer ring (Edit: I mean tach). It would involve pulling the cluster apart, separating the circuit board and cutting a rounded square hole in the speedo (Edit: tach) face on the right side, above the Fuel Injection LED. I'm just not sure if there is quite enough clearance between the circuit board and the lens covering the gauge cluster - Healtech says the GIPro is 0.5" in depth. This would be for a Gen2. Looks like it would work equally well on a Gen1, if it works.

Has anyone else tried this?

Last edited by leftbrain99; 03-05-2019 at 02:51 PM.
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
I'm casually considering a cleanly integrated install of the Healtech GIPro gear indicator inside the speedometer ring. It would involve pulling the cluster apart, separating the circuit board and cutting a rounded square hole in the speedo face on the right side, above the Fuel Injection LED. I'm just not sure if there is quite enough clearance between the circuit board and the lens covering the gauge cluster - Healtech says the GIPro is 0.5" in depth. This would be for a Gen2. Looks like it would work equally well on a Gen1, if it works.

Has anyone else tried this?
On my Gen1 I mounted the GIPro on top of the tach lens at the 3 o'clock position of the tach face using double sided tape.
Unfortunately don't have a picture of the install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2008 Versys-sold
2016 Yamaha FJ-09
1988 Honda Hawk GT NT650

Truth
It is more important now than ever.
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 02:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
On my Gen1 I mounted the GIPro on top of the tach lens at the 3 o'clock position of the tach face using double sided tape.
Unfortunately don't have a picture of the install.
Yeah - I've seen that to be a fairly common location and probably where I will start. But I thought to take it a few steps further for a clean integrated install inside the tach itself (I just realized I was saying speedo face when I meant tach - our speedos are digital, duh.)
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 03:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrain99 View Post
Yeah - I've seen that to be a fairly common location and probably where I will start. But I thought to take it a few steps further for a clean integrated install inside the tach itself (I just realized I was saying speedo face when I meant tach - our speedos are digital, duh.)

I went the lazy way and just stuck it where you see in the photo and ran the cable under the fairing...

IMG_0061 by weljo2001, on Flickr

IMG_0780 by weljo2001, on Flickr

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #51 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:29 PM

Garage
I got the same one the plug goes under the seat. Thats why its really long, and it only reads the gear after the clutch is released. ie, 3rd gear, downshift 2 times, should read 1st but it says 3rd, release clutch slightly it will read 1st.

post #52 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Apple View Post
I got the same one the plug goes under the seat. Thats why its really long, and it only reads the gear after the clutch is released. ie, 3rd gear, downshift 2 times, should read 1st but it says 3rd, release clutch slightly it will read 1st.
I have the same problem. Any solutions?
post #53 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 12:00 PM

Garage
It isn't really a problem, more of a design eccentricity that you get used to. I usually only wanna know what gear I'm in before I downshift or getting up to speed if it's taking me a while, i.e. slow driver on the on ramp to the freeway. Otherwise, it really isn't an issue except to my OCD, in which case I just ease out the clutch so my head is happy.
post #54 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtmango333 View Post
It isn't really a problem, more of a design eccentricity that you get used to. I usually only wanna know what gear I'm in before I downshift or getting up to speed if it's taking me a while, i.e. slow driver on the on ramp to the freeway. Otherwise, it really isn't an issue except to my OCD, in which case I just ease out the clutch so my head is happy.
Yes true for me the same I only look at it when I'm downshifting or on highway to check if I'm on 6th gear.

It works great for just 25 dollars of AliExpress.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
flashing f, gear indicator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode