• 1 Post By mentolio
  • 2 Post By weljo2001
  • 2 Post By mentolio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
My 12v accessory plug

I went to the local motorcycle shop today, and ended up buying the last BikeMaster "power outlet socket" (part number 15-1668, 12V, 15A). It cost $8.00, as opposed to the ridiculous $84.99 that Kawasaki wants for their Versys plug (EIGHT DOLLARS) retail, and fit perfectly. The only significant difference (and really not significant at all), is that the BikeMaster unit lacks the square "key" to limit rotation once installed, but that square key really is unnecessary. It has a tight fitting, soft & pliable rubber cap, and even has the bullet plugs needed to just plug it into the harness. Furthermore, I used a 12v relay that I pulled out of the fuse box of an old, junk Honda as opposed to the required Kawasaki relay. Bottom line is this: if like me you are squeamish about spending the hundred or so dollars for the factory accessory plug (parts only, mind you), consider the lonely eight dollar BikeMaster power outlet socket which is likely collecting some dust at your local bike shop. That, and an easily sourced relay from a Japanese car in the junk yard, and you're in business. I'll snap some pictures of the components next time I have it apart.
weljo2001 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 08:28 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
You can also use the one for the Vulcan at $21.00 you just don't need some of the parts it comes with. The Versys and the Vulcan use the same DC-Socket check the part numbers from the instructions.......

Vulcan....https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Upl..._999940541.pdf

Versys..https://www.kawasaki.com/Content/Upl..._999940485.pdf

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks weljo, I had several Vulcan and even Prairie quad 12v plugs saved to assorted wish lists, but new they were all $30+, and I was leery of buying used for less than that. This $8 BikeMaster unit seemed perfect for me. Below are pics of it installed as well as another of the relay I used. It came from a late 90's/early 2000's Honda four door, and was located in "under-hood" fuse panel (two of them).

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is the relay I used, which was removed from an early 2000's/late 90's Honda 4-door. They (2) were located in the under-hood fuse box. While they don't accommodate the locking tab on the factory harness connector, the blades are spaced perfectly, and the connector fits snug and secure. You'll notice that there is printed on the side a key: on the right side the numbers 1&2, a "coil" (looks like a spring), and a "resister" (saw teeth). To the left are the numbers 3&5, and then the symbol for a switch. Beware: this relay fits both ways. If you're cheap like me, and want to use one of these, just be sure to test the harness side plug for voltage with the ignition key OFF. One plug has constant current (ign both on and off, our 3&5 "switch" side) and one plug has power only when the ignition is turned on (our 1&2 "coil" side). Plug it in, zip tie to the tab for the factory relay, and you're ready to go. Once installed, just make sure your new accessory plug only has power with the key on, and that you can hear the relay "click" when you turn the ignition switch on. BOOM: cheap-o 12v plug.

[IMG][/IMG]
weljo2001 and mully123 like this.

Last edited by mentolio; 10-30-2016 at 01:35 PM.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 07:51 AM

Good deal, saving cash is sweet. Just a reminder that you don't need a relay to do this job @ all, though, or use any real "harness." Perhaps a bit more work than folks who aren't comfortable with low voltage wiring may want to do, but easy peasy regardless.

On our Versys (Verses?), the harness under the front cowling is a little bit deceptive. The connector is just 4 female blade connectors in a pretty orientation. The right side, as in the pictures, is ignition switched power, the left side is constant on power, running back to their own fuse set @ the fuse block.

ALL the relay is, is a powered switch. It energizes downstream when there's ignition-on power to the relay, and turns it "off" when it loses power. What I mean is that the 4 female connectors are two circuits that are energized regardless of the presence of the relay---one constant and one only when the ignition is on. Technically it can be a way to bridge additional power downline as well, but I have yet to see an application where that's actually needed on a motorcycle.

Here's an imgur album of the ghetto fab way to use the relay plug w/o a relay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode