mirror swiveling problem - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
mirror swiveling problem

my mirror on the right side keeps swiveling off its axis and when i try to tighten the nut, it strips if i tighten it with any appreciable pressure. it stays in place but for only a few miles. Has anyone had this problem and if so, what did you do to fix it? thanks-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 12:55 PM

It's a common problem. There are a couple of "fixes" for it.
The easiest is to unscrew the top nut from the bottom nut. Inside you will find another nut with a spring washer under it. That is what is slipping. Tighten it down some and reassemble the bottom nut. Use loctite on the threads between the upper and lower nut to keep it from loosening in flight. If you have already taken it apart before and didn't use loctite on reassembly, then that is most likely what's coming loose instead of the inner nut.

Another method is to drill a pilot hole through the conical top of the upper nut to the mirror stem. Tap it and install a set screw. Again, if you have taken the lower nut off before or if it cam loose on its own, it requires reassembly with loctite or it will never stay tight.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:32 PM

Had the same trouble myself when I added the mirror extenders...I first cranked mirror clockwise until it wouldn't tighten any further, then unscrewed the whole assembly with a wrench...then screwed it back in again 'till tight, pulled mirror forward(counterclockwise) a little to adjust...still quite tight.

If the position is still off or not working try placing a washer between the mirror and the mounting block....It's key that the mirror itself is wound clockwise(tight) as far as it can go to begin with, before tightening down with the wrench.

Maybe that will help.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 01:57 PM

The best fix is to just get better mirrors. Once you get them to stop turning you will realize how much you don't enjoy staring at your shoulders in the mirror and get extenders then you will realize how much they vibrate once you can see behind you and finally will just get different mirrors. Lots of folks like the Z1000 mirrors. I've asked Santa for CRG Bar End mirrors.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 02:36 PM
njd

+1 for simply getting new mirrors.

I bought a set of cheap emgos and they work a thousand times better than oem.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-03-2010, 03:59 PM

Emgo with Speedy's mirror extenders worked well for me.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Back in 2008 I started a thread about the mirror issue on this thread:
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...irror+problems

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-21-2011, 02:59 PM

Also had enless problems with the stock mirrors. I fitted the Kawasaki ER 5 mirrors. Is wider, no vibrations and solid.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-30-2011, 01:21 AM

One of the other threads mentioned Aprillia Tuono mirrors, and everyone liked them, so I ordered a pair from my local dealer at ~$23 a piece. Just got them and put them on. Couldn't be a better, easier fit. They are wider, look better, and are solid. Couldn't be happier.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

Just had my mirrors apart to tighten that little 10mm nut, and I took a few pictures for those who might like to see what's ahead. BTW, could NOT separate the 2 large nuts until I used a bit of heat from a propane torch. Also, I reversed the right mirror extender to keep the 2 mirrors level, as seen in the last pic, but this is only applicable to 2009 and later years. I suggest you only tighten the 10mm nut a BIT - I turned it about 1/8th to 1/4 of a turn (between 45 and 90 degrees).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC07408.jpg (62.2 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07409.jpg (47.4 KB, 366 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07410.jpg (54.1 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07411.jpg (73.3 KB, 332 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07507.jpg (64.8 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg DSC07407.jpg (66.4 KB, 335 views)

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 02-07-2012 at 12:06 PM.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Had the Z1000 mirrors and they worked and looked great a little pricey though. Dropped the bike yesterday and broke the left mirror. Replaced them with a set i got off ebay mid last year they look good and bolt down into place so they don't loosen or move on you. I tested them out on the bike when i first got them and they work well http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Right-R...ht_3508wt_1165

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 01:13 PM

Agree whole-heartedly with Alours! The Aprilia mirrors are easy to install, easy to adjust, stay put and cut almost all of the vibration. I can actually see the make of the vehicle following me! Well worth the $23 ea.

78 IT175
80 TT250
84 XR350
84 XR350
01 XR400
01 WR250
08 VERSYS
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 PM

Super Duke mirrors. Wide enough that mirror extenders aren't needed.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 02:33 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
First day out with these mirrors. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Left-Right-R...ht_3508wt_1165 Actually like them more than the Z1000 mirrors. Bigger viewing area more adjustability and look good too.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:27 PM

everyone cranks down on the outer nuts, thats completely wrong. The one that u need to tighten is on the inside between those two, as someone mentioned already. Open it up and tighten it, then when you screw the mirrors back on, only go clockwise to adjust your mirror (if you go too far, don't go back, keep going all the way around again, or you risk the nut loosening itself on the inside from going counter clockwise).

Locktite has not been necessary for me so far, the previous owner of my versys seemed to think tightening the outer nuts was the problem as well, they're all stripped to hell and have locktite on them, which did nothing except make it harder to remove to get to the little tiny nut on the inside. Thank god for those little rubber covers to hide the mess.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

FWIW I installed my Tourance 130/80 front tire today then went for 125 miles to "scrub" it in. Seems like the mirrors vibrate LESS now.... Go figure.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-10-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norrick View Post
everyone cranks down on the outer nuts, thats completely wrong. The one that u need to tighten is on the inside between those two, as someone mentioned already. Open it up and tighten it, then when you screw the mirrors back on, only go clockwise to adjust your mirror (if you go too far, don't go back, keep going all the way around again, or you risk the nut loosening itself on the inside from going counter clockwise).

Locktite has not been necessary for me so far, the previous owner of my versys seemed to think tightening the outer nuts was the problem as well, they're all stripped to hell and have locktite on them, which did nothing except make it harder to remove to get to the little tiny nut on the inside. Thank god for those little rubber covers to hide the mess.
It took me ten minutes to fix. I unscrewed ALL the nuts and tossed the mirrors in the trash and installed a pair of Super Duke mirrors instead. They don't move at all.

10 Duc Streetfighter S (black)
09 Versys
00 KLR
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
USN 1959-65
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-11-2012, 12:41 PM

IF, you would rather not buy new mirrors, the best, easiest and most economical fix is to take the mirrors off, and tighten the INNER, smaller nut. I added some BLUE Loctite. Then once you put the whole thing back together, you should be in good shape. With that in mind, I did add some mirror extenders. I don't mind the vibration, as I come from a Dual Sport background, and once you get the RPM's over 4,500, everything smooths right out. Enjoy!
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 12:49 PM

Aprilla Mirrors

Is there a model number for the Aprilla mirrors or is Tuono good enough to order? I have an 08 V and am looking to update. My mirrors do all of the above complaints and the best remedy for me is to swap them out. Can anyone suggest a vendor? There are no Aprilla dealers in Delaware. Thanks
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 02-12-2012, 05:13 PM

Tuono is good enough. I stopped by the Aprilia dealer yesterday and he verified that the mirrors on the Shiver had the same part number.
The number is 8104921 & 2.

George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode