Tire Suggestions for Island Roads - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By smoedog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2016, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Tire Suggestions for Island Roads

So I just moved to guam and just got my 09 on the road. Just today I had 2 close calls with the roads here. They use coral as a the substrate and it is slicker than snot. First call was front tire started to slide out in a round-a-bout. Second was ended up putting a slight flat spot on my rear tire trying to slow down for a corner. Rear brake was totally useless, no amount of modulation was giving any braking force. Front tire locked up a few times. Now I will admit I was going faster than I should have, but back in the states I would have had no problem slowing down.

So yes, I know, Coral Roads = Slick = Slow Down hahha. But anyone have any tire recommendations for these type of roads?

09 Versys
78 Triumph Bonneville 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2016, 01:30 PM

Garage
Hafa Adai from Alaska! I spent 5 years on Guam back in the late 80's early 90's with the AF on Anderson AFB. I had a Honda Shadow and a Nighthawk while there. I don't think there is really any tire that will help much with the coral based asphalt when it gets wet. Maybe a 50/50 or 60/40 type tire with a little more aggressive tread might help some. I was fortunate to never go down but had many riding buddies, and others that did. I just learned to ride VERY carefully when the roads were wet. I had a dirt bike that I tore up the jungle trails with too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hmm, Maybe I will throw some ADV tires on and go bomb the beaches and trails
AlaskaJeff likes this.

09 Versys
78 Triumph Bonneville 750

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2016, 07:12 PM

If you're isolated out in freakin Guam, you'll have to chose from whatever is available on such a remote island:

Cycles Plus provides premium powersports products and services in Maite, Guam Cycles Plus Guam Maite, GU (671) 472-8326
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode