• 1 Post By Duffy
  • 2 Post By AdventureSeeker

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Heated Grips (Help)

Hi guys,

I'd like to preface this post by saying that I've been riding for about 5 years...BUT...I've never gotten into any sort of modding or features and whathaveyou. I currently have a 2014 Versys 650.

So I decided to try my hand at installing some heated grips as the weather is starting to get cold. I ordered a set of BikeMaster heated grips (https://amzn.com/B009Z1KQ2M). As per the instructions, they recommend connecting the ground to a solid ground and connecting your hot end to the ignition wire. That's fine.

I purchased a continuity test and was able to find a Aux connection by the battery. When the ignition is turned on, I get continuity. When the ignition is off, no continuity. I've concluded I've found the aux ignition wire.

However, when plugging the heated system into the (I think) Aux ignition wire, there is not enough power for the grip. The controller just blinks.

As of right now, I've got it straight connected to the battery and it works great. I just have to ensure I turn them off.

The question I have is thus- Do you guys have any input that would help me resolve this situation? Am I doing something wrong?

I'd appreciate any input you guys might have!!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Buy a better set of grips......Amazon has the best price....

JoisaFatAss(_0_) likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Buy a better set of grips......Amazon has the best price....
I agree. Amazon does have good prices.

Unfortunately those grips are not an option for me.

Any other suggestions?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:12 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakeman View Post

Any other suggestions?

Its been a long while back but i believe someone on the forum added a switch to their heated grips so they could switch them on and off.
JoisaFatAss(_0_) likes this.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Its been a long while back but i believe someone on the forum added a switch to their heated grips so they could switch them on and off.
I'll take a look, thanks!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:35 PM

Garage
You need to wire in a relay. A standard automotive relay from your local Auto-Zombie should do the trick.
The relay will allow more direct power from the battery that will be automatically cut off when the bike is turned off.

Here's a link to a thread over at TriumphRat with the same question and a diagram for a relay:
Relay install for heated grips - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums

The urge to buy terrorizes
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancakeman View Post

Any other suggestions?
Add a relay, and "trigger" it from the wire going to your DRLs (that way it will automatically be OFF w/ ignition OFF). You'll connect your + and your - from the battery. You can also run the trigger wire thru an ON/ OFF switch.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:30 PM

Like the folks say, add a relay and switch.
I bought this harnas from a chinese website, has all the stuff you need included "waterproof" luminated switch.
https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/Clear...608.0.0.8eDAGM
I bought it myself and used it to relay the extra spotlights i have installed.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
You need to wire in a relay. A standard automotive relay from your local Auto-Zombie should do the trick.
The relay will allow more direct power from the battery that will be automatically cut off when the bike is turned off.

Here's a link to a thread over at TriumphRat with the same question and a diagram for a relay:
Relay install for heated grips - Triumph Forum: Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums
I'm totally ignorant when come to automotive(motorcycle?) electric...anything.

Is a switch required? I just don't want a dead battery when I get up in the AM.

Last edited by Pancakeman; 10-06-2016 at 02:18 PM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 02:32 PM

Garage
Basically, the relay IS the switch.

A relay uses a small current to switch a bigger current. This way you can use a lighter duty switch to control a current that would burn out a small switch. Or is helps keep from running fat wires to the bars for a heavy duty switch to power high power driving lights, etc. In this case, it uses the automatically controlled small current from your accessory circuit to switch on the power to the heated grips. When you turn on the bike, power is switched on to the grip controller. Likewise when you turn off the bike, power to the controller is cut.

The controller for the grips has an "off" position, right? That's your switch. I don't know why you would need another switch. The relay will prevent power from reaching the controller and draining the battery when the bike is off.

So...
Look at the diagram. When you put power across terminals 85 and 86, it closes the switch between 30 and 87.
Note: I don't know where those numbers came from but they seem to be common in any typical automotive relay you get from any auto parts store.
So, you run a wire from that accessory circuit you found on your bike to terminal 86 on the relay. Run a wire from 85 to the frame to ground it. Run the power wire from the battery to terminal 30 and from 87 to the grip controller.

onewizard and versysleo like this.

The urge to buy terrorizes

Last edited by ItsForrest; 10-06-2016 at 02:41 PM.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 02:49 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsForrest View Post
Basically, the relay IS the switch.

A relay uses a small current to switch a bigger current. This way you can use a lighter duty switch to control a current that would burn out a small switch. Or is helps keep from running fat wires to the bars for a heavy duty switch to power high power driving lights, etc. In this case, it uses the automatically controlled small current from your accessory circuit to switch on the power to the heated grips. When you turn on the bike, power is switched on to the grip controller. Likewise when you turn off the bike, power to the controller is cut.

The controller for the grips has an "off" position, right? That's your switch. I don't know why you would need another switch. The relay will prevent power from reaching the controller and draining the battery when the bike is off.

So...
Look at the diagram. When you put power across terminals 85 and 86, it closes the switch between 30 and 87.
Note: I don't know where those numbers came from but they seem to be common in any typical automotive relay you get from any auto parts store.
So, you run a wire from that accessory circuit you found on your bike to terminal 86 on the relay. Run a wire from 85 to the frame to ground it. Run the power wire from the battery to terminal 30 and from 87 to the grip controller.

AHA! That makes perfect sense now. I saw the diagram from the triumphrat but I was confused about the "switch". Being that the controller has an "off" position it now makes perfect sense.

Thanks for the help!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
New option in heated grips. This look very interesting as they don't require a remotely mounted controller and seem to have a better control mechanism than the AME or Oxford. They also get hotter. They are also manufactured domestically rather than in China so probably have a higher level of build quality.

Koso Apollo Heated Grips Review - webBikeWorld

Last edited by twowheels; 10-23-2016 at 12:17 PM.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-23-2016, 08:18 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
The video Weljo post ed are the AME grips that I currently have. My throttle side grip recently went TU and I've heard that AME has changed the style and no longer offer the individually controlled grips but one with a aux mounted controller. So I'm torn now trying to figure out what to do. I did send AME tech support an email hoping they will be able to help me out. They worked fine for 2 years...

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 09:36 AM

Ahhh there's a lot of weird info in this thread.

I have those grips. You do not need new grips. Those grips are fine. You do not need a relay, there are plenty of ignition-hot wires that you can tap into without causing any problems.

The wire you found is an ignition-hot wire, not the ignition wire. Meaning, it's a circuit that's only energized when the ignition is powered, but it isn't supplying ample current to energize your grips. I don't personally like to add anything to the actual ignition wire, like ever, but there's plenty of places to tap.

Since those grips give you so much line to work with, here is what I did:

Ground line, black wire, goes to the ground bolt under the seat towards the back. You'll see it has several wires terminating on it. For ignition hot, find your fuse block. It's got a hot-bus under it that energizes the block and then each circuit has its own fuse that separates it from the bus and powers the given circuit. You just need to find which side is "in" and which side is "out." On my bike, which is a 13, I BELIEVE but would not swear that the interior side (battery side) is the "out" and the anterior side (fairing side) is "in". The horn circuit has something like a 15A fuse on it. Tap into the "out" side, meaning the "fuse protected side", and you'll have ignition-hot, 15A service to power your hand grips. You'll never have to worry about nuking the battery by forgetting to turn them off, etc.

Alternatively, I can find you my other post about how to tap into the front relay connector and get switched (and constant-on) juice WITHOUT needing a relay.
versysleo likes this.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
Ahhh there's a lot of weird info in this thread.

I have those grips. You do not need new grips. Those grips are fine. You do not need a relay, there are plenty of ignition-hot wires that you can tap into without causing any problems.

The wire you found is an ignition-hot wire, not the ignition wire. Meaning, it's a circuit that's only energized when the ignition is powered, but it isn't supplying ample current to energize your grips. I don't personally like to add anything to the actual ignition wire, like ever, but there's plenty of places to tap.

Since those grips give you so much line to work with, here is what I did:

Ground line, black wire, goes to the ground bolt under the seat towards the back. You'll see it has several wires terminating on it. For ignition hot, find your fuse block. It's got a hot-bus under it that energizes the block and then each circuit has its own fuse that separates it from the bus and powers the given circuit. You just need to find which side is "in" and which side is "out." On my bike, which is a 13, I BELIEVE but would not swear that the interior side (battery side) is the "out" and the anterior side (fairing side) is "in". The horn circuit has something like a 15A fuse on it. Tap into the "out" side, meaning the "fuse protected side", and you'll have ignition-hot, 15A service to power your hand grips. You'll never have to worry about nuking the battery by forgetting to turn them off, etc.

Alternatively, I can find you my other post about how to tap into the front relay connector and get switched (and constant-on) juice WITHOUT needing a relay.
In electrical "speak" that's called a double tap (one fuse used for two circuits) and on an OEM horn circuit that should work fine. I'm still a fan of a relay controlling the device power direct from battery. Replacing a burnt wiring harness on anything is not fun.
aboyandhisversys likes this.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 01:39 PM

Sure, I think those grips pull something like 3.1A on high though, horn pulls something like 2, so 5.1A on a 15A rated circuit is gonna be no big deal. I can't think of a condition, with the tap on the fused side, that it should nuke anything. Relays are super, but I still haven't found an application that necessitates them on a motorcycle. They make life EASIER, for sure, and protect against quiescent draw, but I've never had any issues. YMMV, of course.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-24-2016, 07:05 PM

Having rewired a harness that I managed to crisp by off road lights, I would go the *safe* route and install a relay. They're inexpensive, and sure beats the crap out of replacing a wiring harness (which BTW in modern bikes requires 12 strong men, a monkey, and two managers to install properly.)

Just my hard-won .02.
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 06:14 AM

FWIW, those handgrips come with a waterproof switch that's designed to handle the current they pull. Installing a relay adds zero "safety" that a fused connection won't otherwise provide, assuming that you're not stripping wires and shorting stuff together and you're not overloading a circuit, it's just a way to get switched power from a constant-on source.

A lot of folks tap ignition or headlight wires because they're easy to find, a bad idea in case you blow the fuse--this is why I recommended the horn circuit---because on the weird offchance that you ever manage to blow that fuse (which you won't, it's 15A), all you're down is a horn.

There's plenty of good reasons to use the relay socket under the fairing for other, higher draw applications (12v adapter, higher-draw aftermarket lights, etc), but it's really, really overkill for this application. FWIW, it's also still fully possible to utilize the relay outlet as switched power w/o installing the relay, that's how I have my lights and 12v outlet attached. The pretty little relay plug is really just a way for Kawi to soak you for $40 for $1.25 in parts for something you really don't need. (And I suspect most folks believe that the under-fairing relay is fully powered off w/o the relay in place. Not true, it's one constant-on circuit and one switched-on circuit, their relay just uses one to control downstream access to the other, which is complete silliness.))
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode