Got Mojo?.... yeah, I used to ride a KLR - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Got Mojo?.... Changing tires on a KLR budget

I've been running Battleaxes for awhile, and decided I wanted something with a little more off-road bite. I thought about the usual suspects in the ADV world, but truth is that I'm a 95/5 rider, so I figured a 90/10 tire would do me justice.... so I broke out the mastercard and ordered up a set of Avon Trailriders.

I live 20 miles from the nearest shop so getting someone to change them for me is a 'pita'. Well, I used to change my own KLR tires, so I blew the dust off my "tire changing stand", "bead breaker" and mojolever, and got to work...

I don't have any miles on them yet, but they seem to do just fine in the hayfield..... time will tell

PS: I also threw on a set of EBC HH pads all around just for good measure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6657.jpg (62.1 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6659.jpg (79.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6664.jpg (41.8 KB, 95 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6666.jpg (78.1 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6650.jpg (43.8 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6674.jpg (100.3 KB, 107 views)

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by abramsgunner; 10-06-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 09:34 AM

Nice job on the tire changing!

I noticed that you have the R1 shock with the lowering link on your V? Am I seeing that correctly?

I was considering putting an R1 shock on my lowered '08 V.

Do you have any clearance issues with the R1 shock reservoir hitting the rear sub frame or plastic side cover (while using the lowering link)?

Thanks.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Love the mojolever, makes changing a breeze. Breaking the rear bead took a few tries, but the front damn near fell off by itself. Next time I might try the "zip-tie" method when putting the new tires on.

Yes, that's correct... lowered with Speedy's kit. I cut a semicircle in the side panel just above the shock reservoir... looks factory. No subframe contact, maybe just a slight rub on the battery box. Major improvement in ride quality (at least on the rear...lol). I bought the shock already setup from a member here, so I can't tell you much about it.

Attached is a closer crop of the shock area....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6674 zoom.jpg (96.7 KB, 58 views)

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by abramsgunner; 10-06-2016 at 10:31 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
...Do you have any clearance issues with the R1 shock reservoir hitting the rear sub frame or plastic side cover (while using the lowering link)?

Thanks.
FOR SURE there WILL be clearance issues w/ that black plastic piece above the R1 shock, so my advice is to remove MORE than you think you need to (CAN'T speak to having a lowered V), as WHEN it contacts it, it WILL break the piece near where that little bolt attaches it to the frame. As a result of making repairs a COUPLE of times for my '08, when I put the R1 onto my '15 I removed EXTRA, and so far have NOT busted it!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
I noticed that you have the R1 shock with the lowering link on your V? Am I seeing that correctly?

I was considering putting an R1 shock on my lowered '08 V.

Do you have any clearance issues with the R1 shock reservoir hitting the rear sub frame or plastic side cover (while using the lowering link)?

Thanks.
I had a lowering kit on my 2015 Versys 650. Since a few guys have installed the R1 shock on their Gen 1/Gen 2 Versys 650, I figured that I could do the same on my Gen 3.

I forgot to take a pic of the R1 shock on the lowering link. However I can say that the shock reservoir would hit the frame part encircled in red.

I had to choose between the R1 shock or the lowering kit. Since I had already removed the bracket for the OEM shock control, I did not really have a choice. The R1 shock stayed and the lowering link was removed as shown above.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quexpress View Post
I had a lowering kit on my 2015 Versys 650. Since a few guys have installed the R1 shock on their Gen 1/Gen 2 Versys 650, I figured that I could do the same on my Gen 3.

I forgot to take a pic of the R1 shock on the lowering link. However I can say that the shock reservoir would hit the frame part encircled in red.

I had to choose between the R1 shock or the lowering kit. Since I had already removed the bracket for the OEM shock control, I did not really have a choice. The R1 shock stayed and the lowering link was removed as shown above.
So, are you saying that the Gen 3 Versys has an obstruction/shock interference that the Gen 1 does not?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
So, are you saying that the Gen 3 Versys has an obstruction/shock interference that the Gen 1 does not?
I can't tell you about the Gen 1 or Gen 2. However I can guarantee that, with a lowering link, a R1 shock will definitely smash the frame portion that I have encircled in red before bottoming out. I tried to bottom out my R1 shock (without the spring). It could not bottom out because it would hit that frame part on a Gen 3 Versys 650.

I just shuffle slower.

Last edited by quexpress; 10-06-2016 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Missing information
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 03:12 PM

...on the Gen 3.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I'd have to look, but I don't believe my Gen 1 has that bracket...

I didn't pull the spring and bottom it out... but I've jumped up and down on it pretty good (240lbs dressed to ride), and have had no issues *grin

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 04:37 PM

Quote:
...on the Gen 3.
Yes on the Gen 3! I added that missing info in my post.
Thanks!

I just shuffle slower.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-2016, 05:37 PM Thread Starter

Well....there IS a bracket there on the Gen 1.. just checked.. where the plastic pin from the side plastic fits... but I don't think there is enough travel in the shock with the spring installed to hit it. The bracket circled in red looks a little wider than on the Gen 1 (I didn't take the panel off, just felt around and looked from underneath).

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
YES! It's the piece attached to the frame that holds the 'remote-rear-shock-adjuster' thingee.

Quote:
I can't tell you about the Gen 1 or Gen 2. However I can guarantee that, with a lowering link, a R1 shock will definitely smash the frame portion that I have encircled in red before bottoming out. I tried to bottom out my R1 shock (without the spring). It could not bottom out because it would hit that frame part on a Gen 3 Versys 650.
I mentioned this shortly after getting my '15 when I TRIED installing the R1, then gave up till the next spring, when I cut that piece OFF. Here's a link: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-shock-r1.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by abramsgunner View Post
I'd have to look, but I don't believe my Gen 1 has that bracket....
NOPE - it doesn't. I installed TWO R1 shocks onto Gen 1s, my '08 and '09 (the '09s R1 NOW resides on my Gen 3...!).

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-07-2016 at 12:42 PM.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
YES! It's the piece attached to the frame that holds the 'remote-rear-shock-adjuster' thingee.
That's not the one I'm talking about. It's the one in my pic (encircled in red) or the one to the left of it.
I now wish I had taken a pic with the lowering link still installed.

Quote:
I mentioned this shortly after getting my '15 when I TRIED installing the R1, then gave up till the next spring, when I cut that piece OFF. Here's a link: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...-shock-r1.html
That part was already removed (cut off). That is why there was no hesitation on my part. There was no coming back. The lowering link had to go, and the R1 shock installed.

I just shuffle slower.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
That's not the one I'm talking about. It's the one in my pic (encircled in red) or the one to the left of it.
I now wish I had taken a pic with the lowering link still installed....That part was already removed (cut off). That is why there was no hesitation on my part. There was no coming back. The lowering link had to go, and the R1 shock installed.
Is your Gen 3 a 2016? Mine (2015 650) didn't have a piece like that (circled in red). What I removed was slightly to the rear, and 90 degrees turned, like these pics:

Just went out and took another look: could that be the place that the black plastic cover attached, that covers the gap between the rear of the gas tank, and the frame (that I cut-back for clearance for the R1 shock reservoir)?

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

I just took ANOTHER look. In your pic I was confused by how CLOSE the R1 reservoir is to it, NOT realizing that your lowering block (which IS causing the "lack-of-clearance" there) MOVES the whole shock forward of where I can see it on mine...!

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC

Last edited by fasteddiecopeman; 10-08-2016 at 04:51 PM.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I just took ANOTHER look. In your pic I was confused by how CLOSE the R1 reservoir is to it, NOT realizing that your lowering block (which IS causing the "lack-of-clearance" there) MOVES the whole shock forward of where I can see it on mine...!

This is because the spring was removed from the shock. It could therefore be compressed and move towards the frame.
Note: The lowering block is not there. It would have been close (in the front) of the rear wheel hugger. I now remember that, with the lowering block, the shock was in a more horizontal position and the reservoir would hit the frame bracket that is to the left of the one I had encircled in red.
I'll take pics tomorrow but am not removing that spring again LOL!

I just shuffle slower.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2016, 07:57 PM

Mine is also a 2015.

The attached pic (one of yours) shows the 2 brackets I was talking about. I have added a curved arrow to show where the reservoir would hit the frame part. This is because the shock is in a more horizontal position when attached to the lowering bloc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reservoir_clearance.jpg (141.5 KB, 51 views)

I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode