Braided brake line question... - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By fasteddiecopeman

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Braided brake line question...

Question: Do Galfer brake line kits come with two separate long front lines, or do they come with one long line and a crossover line?

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 12:30 PM

Mine came with two long lines
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 12:38 PM

Garage
Same here

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 01:06 PM Thread Starter

Sweet, thanks

'08 Versys.. Givi rear rack, JCW trunk and E21's, Givi shield, Madstad bracket, Speedy peg and mirror brackets, lowering kit, SC Seat, R1 Shock.. other stuff. '09 KLX250 setup for singletrack. 2011 Xterra, '80 CJ-7

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by abramsgunner View Post
Question: Do Galfer brake line kits come with two separate long front lines, or do they come with one long line and a crossover line?
Mine came with two long lines. There is an advantage to both types.

The two long lines that attach at the brake lever are easier to bleed and as a result might give you a firmer lever pull due to less air in system. I know mine made a large difference in brake feel but I spent much time bleeding them.

The disadvantage of the two long lines is they attach at the brake lever and extend out further. This interfered with my Barkbuster hand guards which I easily modified. The problem was after I modified them they struck my Givi aftermarket screen just before steering lock. I ended up ditching the hand guards which were of questionable value at the price, anyway.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 06:21 PM

I got the same results as twowheels, but I have kept the Barkbusters. I also had to bleed the lines where they attach to the master cylinder to get a firm lever. One other thing I do, which I learned from my Concours, is to use a velcro strap to hold the brake lever tight overnight. It seems to do something to get the tiny bubbles out and make the lever feel very firm.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-13-2016, 07:56 PM

When I changed out my lines I initially had a hard time bleeding the lines.
Then I noticed that when I moved the lever a very slight amount that a stream of bubbles came up thru the reservoir each time. So I'm ASSUMING that there is a point in the plunger moving that it picks up fluid to push down the line but is sealed at either end of it's travel.

you might be right, I may be crazy
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 01:51 AM

The brake fluid return passage. When the calipers retract and/or the fluid gets warm/hot it has to have someplace to go or it would lock your caliper pistons, so it returns to the master cylinder. After all the air is out you will get a solid stream of fluid. This solid stream can go high enough to get all over your nice paint. Release the lever slowly or keep the cover on.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:18 AM

Garage
You need a colection bottle connected by a clear tube so you can see air exiting the system. Release the bleeder valve by unscrewing and pull the lever, then retighten the screw before releasing the lever. When you no longer get even micro bubbles your done that side. Repeat on other side. Then go back to first side and recheck no air was pushed into that caliper while doing other side. You will need to fill up the resovoir several times while doing this. If it runs dry you need to start at the beginning again. The secret is to leave absolutely no air in the system. Even a few micro bubbles will cause issues with a soft lever.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited by twowheels; 09-25-2016 at 09:20 AM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by abramsgunner View Post
I BELIEVE you can get then BOTH ways, but, like the others, I recommend two separate lines, and I HIGHLY recommend the rear line also...!

On my Gen 1 (2008), the rear brake w/ SS lines is WAY-Y-Y better than stock!
Lours_Polaire likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 09:06 PM

Garage
Deleted in tapatalk which does not allow complete deletion

Last edited by twowheels; 09-26-2016 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Deleted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode