Rear Sprocket Swap - Indicated Speed Results - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bcalan
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NorCal & SoCal
Posts: 20
Rear Sprocket Swap - Indicated Speed Results

Newbie, here; this may be in the wrong section of the Forum.

I just replaced the stock 46t with a 43t, as I felt the V's gearing was too "short," for my purposes. Indicated speeds, at 5K:

Gear/46t/43t
1/17/22
2/27/33
3/37/43
4/49/51
5/59/59
6/67/67

Haven't compared indicated speeds to GPS, yet, but I'm curious, as to why the indicated speeds differ so much, at the lower gears, then merge, up top. Any insight? Thanks.
kawafornia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 11:49 AM
Member
 
michael95453's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lakeport CA
Posts: 175
I don't know how you took your speed measurements, but the only one that is correct is 6th gear.

The speedometer drive is coming from the output shaft of the transmission (front sprocket). It just counts how many times that shaft turns. It doesn't care what sprockets you use or even if you have a rear wheel mounted. It always shows the same speed in relation to RPM for a given gear.
michael95453 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 08:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Wisconsin, 25 miles north of Milwaukee
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael95453 View Post
I don't know how you took your speed measurements, but the only one that is correct is 6th gear.

The speedometer drive is coming from the output shaft of the transmission (front sprocket). It just counts how many times that shaft turns. It doesn't care what sprockets you use or even if you have a rear wheel mounted. It always shows the same speed in relation to RPM for a given gear.
I agree.

You may want to repeat your test - because the data (in the lower gears only) does not agree with what I have experienced, and it does not agree with how the V is set up.

Then, you also may want to repeat the test - using a GPS as a speedometer, while riding on a flat, level road.

The 43 tooth sprocket will cause your actual (GPS) speed to be greater at any given RPM, in any gear. In other words, if you cruise at 5,000 RPM, you will arrive at your destination about 7% sooner - than if you had stock gearing. But your V speedometer will (falsely) tell you that your cruising speed did not change.

I updated my response in bold, for clarity.

Last edited by trialsguy; 09-09-2016 at 09:27 AM. Reason: for clarity of concepts
trialsguy is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Tallahassee, Fl
Posts: 19
I have same setup on a 2008 gen1,my speedo correction was similar to what you experienced, because the speed attand at rear wheel will be greater at the same RPM as before, you will have approximately 6 percent difference in odometer reading 100 miles traveled 94 miles indicated on odometer.YES I DID THIS WITH A GPS, AND SEVERAL HUNDRED MILES OF TESTING.
Versys John is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 09:56 AM
Member
 
Lours_Polaire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Way up north
Posts: 1,385
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawafornia View Post
Newbie, here; this may be in the wrong section of the Forum.

I just replaced the stock 46t with a 43t, as I felt the V's gearing was too "short," for my purposes. Indicated speeds, at 5K:

Gear/46t/43t
1/17/22
2/27/33
3/37/43
4/49/51
5/59/59
6/67/67

Haven't compared indicated speeds to GPS, yet, but I'm curious, as to why the indicated speeds differ so much, at the lower gears, then merge, up top. Any insight? Thanks.
Sidebar here

Did you have to remove some link on your chain to reduce to 43t ?

Thank's

LOP
Lours_Polaire is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 12:31 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Vancouver Island BC
Posts: 95
Sidebar: I mounted the same rear sprocket, 43T, and did not shorten the chain. New chain and new steel sprockets. I'm still undecided whether or not to keep the 43, I may go to 44, but 46 was too low for my riding. The V is a street bike that can handle most gravel roads. I know riders take the V everywhere but it's not a small KLR. I've figured out that my speedo after the change doesn't know how fast I'm going exactly. I think it's reading slower than I'm actually moving. The tires aren't exactly the stock size or profile either. I've noticed in a 90Kph zone where most traffic moves at 110+Kph my speedo now reads a bit over 100 and I'm keeping up. What a dumb way to measure speed....
Lours_Polaire likes this.

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig
bcalan is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NorCal & SoCal
Posts: 20
Thanks for all the replies. More info:

That's my understanding, as well; indicated speeds are taken from the drive sprocket speed. Speedometer interprets speed from that figure, with 6 formulae (1/gear.) That's why I was surprised at the indicated results, which I listed in my OP.

What I mean by "indicated speeds" is simply what the speedo is stating. I repeatedly checked these figures, before and after the sprocket swap, so I'm confident that they are accurate. I'll do a GPS check, this weekend, but didn't do one with the 46t sprocket, so won't be able to compare, without swapping back, which I doubt I'll do.

I replaced the chain, along with the rear sprocket and yes, it is shorter than the prior chain.

Figures aside, I am satisfied with the results. Less shifting in traffic and highway cruising speeds seem to be in the less-buzzy 4,500rpm range.

PS. What "generation" is my 2012 650? Thanks.
kawafornia is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 04:28 PM
Member
 
bigaussie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 842
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kawafornia View Post
PS. What "generation" is my 2012 650? Thanks.
You are Second Gen

If you want to have the speedo agreeing to your GPS get a Speedo DRD.

Mine is now spot on (but my odo (distance) is out).

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.


"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bigaussie is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-09-2016, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator
 
fasteddiecopeman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Kelowna, BC - summer; Florence, AZ - winter
Posts: 16,815
OR - change your rear tire to a 150/70x17. W/ one on mine, my speedo reads VERY close to my GPS speed (100 on the GPS and 99 on the speedo, while the odo UNDER-READS by 1.7%)....

Ed
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
fasteddiecopeman is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-15-2016, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: NorCal & SoCal
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I agree.

You may want to repeat your test - because the data (in the lower gears only) does not agree with what I have experienced, and it does not agree with how the V is set up.

Then, you also may want to repeat the test - using a GPS as a speedometer, while riding on a flat, level road.

The 43 tooth sprocket will cause your actual (GPS) speed to be greater at any given RPM, in any gear. In other words, if you cruise at 5,000 RPM, you will arrive at your destination about 7% sooner - than if you had stock gearing. But your V speedometer will (falsely) tell you that your cruising speed did not change.

I updated my response in bold, for clarity.
UPDATE: I've compared GPS with indicated speeds, with the 43t and new (shorter) chain. The GPS tends to read 1-2 mph higher than the speedo, in all gears. Not the 6-7% variation that others have experienced, but I'm satisfied with the results.

Thanks, again, for all the replies; lots of experience and knowledge around here. : )
kawafornia is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome