Front brake master cylinder change - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Question Front brake master cylinder change

Hi guys!

I have a 650 Versys ABS 2013 with 15k miles on it and i absolutely love it! I have one complaint though...

I never liked the front brake from the beggining. See, i am used to braking with one finger and on a hard braking it's not enough. Recently i rode some bikes with just 1 disc at the front (Aprilia Pegaso Trail and Honda CB500X) and found that they can easily be stopped with just that 1 finger. Versys lacks this initial bite. Don't get me wrong, the front brake is powerful and effective but it takes more effort than it should.

So..

I am thinking of upgrading to a new radial master cylinder. That's where i need your help! I need opinions on:

1. Which master cylinder? Some guys suggested the Brembo RCS 19 but it's really expensive. Also isn't the 19mm sort of too much for the Versys calipers and discs?

2. Will the ABS be affected?

3. Mounting? Do i need to find one with a mirror mounting?

Also, if any of you with the same model (or a previous one) has done something similar please please please shed some light!!

Thanks!

Last edited by kpapageo; 08-23-2016 at 02:17 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2016, 03:25 PM
RMS

there are a lot of post about how braded steel line`s have improved the front and rear breaks
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 03:41 AM Thread Starter

A few friends of mine tried the steel lines but haven't seen a significant improvement. It's mainly better on downhill mountain roads after the brakes have worked overtime.

I'm looking for a big improvement on the front brake's initial bite and was wondering if changing a master cylinder is the right thing to do.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 05:55 AM

Have you tried upgrading your front brake pads? Vesrah VD-435JL are a great improvement over stock Tokico pads.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2016, 07:12 AM

Garage
I find the front brake feel and initial bite of my 16' 650 much improved over my 08'. The first thing I noticed was the lever had the feel of other bikes I've owned or rode with a radial MC, almost immediate bite. That being said, you could maybe get lucky and find a wrecked 15' or 16' with the improved front MC and it would be a direct replacement with mirror mount. I don't know how buying salvage parts works over there though. As far as doing a radial conversion, I did several Ninja 650's (ER6F) and one 08' Versys 650 conversion using the radial MC from mid 2000's ZX6R's. Those bikes are readily available around here (young guys total them almost daily). The only modification was relocating the reservoir cup. You can see an example of this in the picture I've attached. It's from LSL who makes bar conversion kits to go from clip on sport bars to traditional bars. They might sell you just the bracket, I would just fab them myself. I've used their kits turning all out sport bikes into a more upright position sport standard, they make great stuff. A lot of options out there, hope some of this info helps you get there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sb05_zx6d.jpg (54.2 KB, 136 views)

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 09:34 AM Thread Starter

That's exactly what i'm trying to achieve. Immediate bite and effortless 1 finger braking. I'm going to test ride the new Versys to see how much they improved the front brake.

However, i couldn't find a used Nissin master cylinder from the 3rd gen, not even on eBay. Is the one from the ZX6R's a 19mm one?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpapageo View Post
That's exactly what i'm trying to achieve. Immediate bite and effortless 1 finger braking. I'm going to test ride the new Versys to see how much they improved the front brake.

However, i couldn't find a used Nissin master cylinder from the 3rd gen, not even on eBay. Is the one from the ZX6R's a 19mm one?
05-06 is a 19mm (I believe 03-04 too); 07-08, 09-12, and 13-16 is a 17mm

Keep it rubber side down and enjoy the ride
Get healthy - Get Fit - Change Your Life

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 11:57 AM

Garage
Yes and I've had good success retro-fitting that MC on other bikes. Enjoy your test ride!

My new escape, 16' Gen3 Versys 650ABS
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpapageo View Post
The braking efficiency of the 2015 Versys 650 has been obtained by combining a new master cylinder with new Nissin brake calipers which are quite more efficient that the previous Tokico calipers.

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
brake, cylinder, front, master

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode