• 4 Post By Wulff81
  • 1 Post By onewizard
  • 2 Post By onewizard
  • 1 Post By mentolio

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2016, 05:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Anyone try one of these "Booster plugs?"

I saw this on eBay, which prompted me to check out the manufacturers website. Seems pretty simple, and the description of how and why it works kinda makes sense. Basically just tweaks the fuel injection enough to "slightly" enrichen the mixture, and adjusts based on ambient air temp.

Boosterplug Kawasaki Versys 650 2007 Up Forget The Power Commander | eBay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2016, 05:59 PM

Garage
If you are on ADV you might contact Roger04Rt he is an absolute expert on these and other methods of tweaking fueling. He sorted my 14" Husqvarna TR650 and it ran better than anyone else that had one that I rode with.

I used an LC2 on my Husky. But if the ECU on the Versys will not learn to negate the settings it will work fine. Husky used a Magnetti Marelli ECU and it had the ability to eventually negate any setting that the booster plug had and reverted to the OEM settings. I finally ended up using the LC2 to spoof the AFR at the exhaust output. Once I did that I never had to look back.

Cheers,

Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:11 AM

Garage
Please don't fall for these scams!

Here is a great and entertaining bit on these units.

This video may be for a car, but all modern fuel injection systems work in the same manner.

These things are put together to look like they are something of a computing unit.... They are not!

Old 08-20-2016, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

TPS Adjustment Thread ***Same thing at No Cost

On MK-1 and MK-2 there has been much discussion on improving response, vaccuum hose mod and TPS rotation=better response. Very simple and at no cost, did it on my 07, changed to a awesome bike from one I considered selling.

As per question below

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?highlight=TPS

quexpress likes this.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-20-2016 at 11:51 AM.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:59 AM

answered my own question

Where can I find the posts on these mods? What do I enter into the search box? TIA
Never mind, I found it.....

....ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds with the Devil close behind...
"The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility, it's right. If it disturbs you, it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed."
-Robert M. Pirsig

Last edited by bcalan; 08-20-2016 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Answered my own question
Old 08-20-2016, 11:25 AM

Garage
The only real spoof is in the exhaust stream. This will allow AFR settings to be adjusted by making the ECU believe that the exhaust stream is either too rich or too lean. Done there the ECU will adjust to the AFR you want. Not what it wants.

Cheers,

Charlie

Old 08-20-2016, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
On MK-1 and MK-2 there has been much discussion on improving response, vaccuum hose mod and TPS rotation=better response. Very simple and at no cost, did it on my 07, changed to a awesome bike from one I considered selling.

As per question below

Did you try these mods on your MK-3?

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Old 08-20-2016, 12:55 PM
Super Moderator

I am thinking about the vacuum line, I have adjusted main throttle and backed off to the low setting in the manual. FYI the capped vacuum line fittings have changed to 6 mm , I was able to buy 7/32 line at Parts Source and extended and capped off the lines at my Denali Compressor, so I can do a throttle body sync next time in 10 minutes, ( time to warm up and get all the test equipment hooked up). So after reading the posts about TPS and vacuum hose mod today, I would only need to cut one wire tie and insert one of my vacuum couplings, less than two minutes. I may try it tomorrow.

Also waiting to hear if anyone with a 2015 has exceeded the 1.005 VDC as stated in the manual for the main throttle sensor, without reducing fuel mileage. There are some earlier comments about the vacuum hose mod reducing engine braking. I did that mod on my 07, what I found was I was dumping raw fuel into the air while engine braking, I quickly removed that mod as I engine brake primarily then front , back brake is limited to light braking, or when both hands are on clutch and throttle. I am at a point where I just want to ride, no more mods of any kind, if there is a reduction in engine braking effect it won't be happening on my ride.
quexpress and jaaklucas like this.

Last edited by onewizard; 08-20-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewizard View Post
I am thinking about the vacuum line, I have adjusted main throttle and backed off to the low setting in the manual. FYI the capped vacuum line fittings have changed to 6 mm , I was able to buy 7/32 line at Parts Source and extended and capped off the lines at my Denali Compressor, so I can do a throttle body sync next time in 10 minutes, ( time to warm up and get all the test equipment hooked up). So after reading the posts about TPS and vacuum hose mod today, I would only need to cut one wire tie and insert one of my vacuum couplings, less than two minutes. I may try it tomorrow.
Also waiting to hear if anyone with a 2015 has exceeded the 1.005 VDC as stated in the manual, without reducing fuel mileage.
Thank you!

Quote:
There are some earlier comments about the vacuum hose mod reducing engine braking. I did that mod on my 07, what I found was I was dumping raw fuel into the air while engine braking, I quickly removed that mod as I engine brake primarily then front , back brake is limited to light braking, or when both hands are on clutch and throttle.
We have similar riding habits.

Quote:
I am at a point where I just want to ride, no more mods of any kind, if there is a reduction in engine braking effect it won't be happening on my ride.
My feelings exactly!

I still have a full deck.
I just shuffle slower.
Old 08-20-2016, 05:13 PM

I tend to think the TPS adjustment will do the trick for most of the lean issues. Yes, mileage will suffer a little bit, but of course it will when running a bit richer.

Ideally the mixture would be enrichened at the problem rpm and throttle settings but left alone where there are no problems, an entire remapping of the ecu mixture. And now we're starting to talk some serious $ to buy the technology to do this.

Start with the TPS adjustment. If you don't have a good voltmeter, mark the adjustment screw head with a sharp pencil and just make a slight adjustment to see if it fixes your issues. On my 2015 the little paint dab on the screw head did not attach to the immovable structure, so it was not a viable indicator of position, so a pencil mark or other method of identifying the starting position is necessary.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:27 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Wulff81: good video, thanks for the link.
Wulff81 likes this.
Old 09-02-2016, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Another member (thanks!) sent me this link: http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/technical/...lmods_1213.pdf

MCN liked the function of the Booster Plug, and the other "easy-peesy" mod tested (they claim to have tested both for 1800 miles each). On the dyno they only mentioned peak HP, and the difference was negligeable (1 hp gain at peak with no losses mentioned, which is my main concern, tho I'd still like to see a stock vs. modified power curve comparison). They also mention an increase in mileage and a "noticeable" improvement in throttle response off idle. I don't really notice any serious "infractions" from my bike's EFI, but suspect the slight enrichening would smooth things out a bit, knowing all Japanese bikes come stupid-lean (at idle) from the factory (thanks EPA). Anyway, it's an interesting review of two products that claim to make good bikes a little better, not 650s into 1000s If I end up pulling the trigger on one of these, and I can convince the local shop with a dyno not to rape me on before and after runs (however unlikely), I'll post results.

Last edited by mentolio; 09-02-2016 at 04:10 PM.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

TPS setting 07-2014 Huge Difference

I have said it in previous posts, and when I have time I am going to ask to test my 07 that I sold and post the voltage readings . The difference in the tweaking of the TPS setting made a huge difference, everything is stock and in my opinion, the 07 has more get up and go with the setting change than my 2015 Versys.
The 2015 has a camshaft change and different mapping to increase HP and better gas mileage, my 07 got between 50 and 60 miles per gallon with the setting change, also was running a 16 tooth front sprocket.
My suggestion would be to try the TPS setting change, then if you think this device is worth investing in, buy it and post the findings, I fully expect to never hear anything positive about it or never hear anything as I think you will find it is a scam.JMHO

Last edited by onewizard; 09-02-2016 at 11:44 AM.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:51 PM

Garage
Soooooo can the TPS mod be made on the Gen 3, or just Gen 1&2?

Reading through these posts I am a bit confused(simple minded man over here)

Ring Rippers Founding Father
[/FONT]
Old 06-13-2018, 05:47 PM

Yes you can adjust the TPS on the Gen 3. It will affect the mixture because the sensor tells the computer where the throttle is. When you tell it the position is more open, the computer commands more fuel.

The proper way to adjust the TPS is to measure the voltage, which pretty much requires buying the connector harness. But you can also just eyeball it. Mark the position it is in now carefully against the surface it is mounted to, and then adjust it a tiny bit. See if that helps or hurts. You can always return it to the original position if you have marked it.

FWIW, many of us have found it is adjusted towards the lean side at idle though still within or very close to spec. Enrichening it a bit can help with those rough vibes at around 3000 rpm.

Mine runs fine dead center of the voltage range at idle. If you're adjusting it by voltage, my personal opinion is not to worry about the wide-open-throttle setting because I never ride it at WOT.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Tps mk-3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1largebarge View Post
Soooooo can the TPS mod be made on the Gen 3, or just Gen 1&2?

Reading through these posts I am a bit confused(simple minded man over here)
One thing I haven't followed through on is changing the resistance as noted in the booster plug thread http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...97-post15.html

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...t=booster+plug

As to TPS on a MK-3 here is my findings:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...?highlight=tps see post 28

Last edited by onewizard; 06-13-2018 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in