Pls Help ID 2009 HID System - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Pls Help ID 2009 HID System

I'll attempt to paste a photo of an HID headlight system I removed from my 2009 Versys (bought the Versys late last year). There's no manufacturer info on either the lamp or the ballast. The headlight started flickering progressively more and more until it finally went out. I could get it to turn on by hitting the starter button repeatedly, but the lamp would blink out after a few minutes of riding. I finally removed it and put in a stock halogen bulb. I'm toying with either attempting to buy a new ballast for the HID System I removed, or replacing with a new HID lamp and ballast.

Anyone out there able to identify this system (photo hopefully attached)? I'd like to look into replacing the ballast. Also, is the lamp usable with HIDs sold by other manufacturers? I'm guessing that I'll be better off replacing both ballast and lamp with something brand new. I've read some threads here questioning the merit of using HID systems on the Versys. I do think that this old system, when it worked, put out more light. Whether it was as well-focused as a stock halogen bulb I can't say with any precision, as I didn't compare them scientifically.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1000620 copy.jpg (48.4 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P1000621 copy.jpg (45.4 KB, 46 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:41 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I know it is a lot harder, but why don't you install a projector if you want to have HID?
HID bulb in a halogen housing gives not only poor results for the light pattern (ask me how I know ), but also blinds the other drivers.

Versys 2015 Green
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
I'd switch to an LED.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

Those are all good suggestions. I'm leaning toward an LED headlight. I put LEDs in place of stock city light bulbs and it makes a large difference.

Here's a new problem that is even a bigger challenge: the stock halogen bulb I installed two days ago now doesn't work. It only lasted for an hour or so of use. The lower bright halogen works fine. I'm assuming then that the fuse is not involved. Now I'm wondering if the HID system I removed was really the problem. Tonight I'll switch the lower bright bulb for the main headlight to see if that makes a difference. Anyone else experienced this problem?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:02 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
test your stater and r/r it could be going out and over charging the system in turn burning out your head lights. i had same problem on my vanvan and rebel both were the rectifier

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 11:21 AM Thread Starter

You're talking to a certified newbie here. How does one test the stater and r/r? I have a multi-meter and sort of know how to use it, but please be very basic in your guidance! Thanks for all the good help here.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 11:25 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It might be a good idea to throw a volt meter on it when it's running.
Simplest things first.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Where does one connect the volt meter when the engine is running? Sorry for such a basic question.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 12:51 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A View Post
Where does one connect the volt meter when the engine is running? Sorry for such a basic question.
first remove your seat, under it is your battery , test it with a volt meter with the bike off (should ready around 12-12.5V)
start bike and it should ready around 14V , (there are 3 stater stages (one for low rpm one for mid and one for high) give it some revs and see if your voltage stays around 14 or if it spikes or drops drastically , a drop in volts is a sign your stater is going out and a spike would mean your RR is fried

yes im a guy.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Ok, thanks for providing clear directions! I'll try that tonight and report back with my findings.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Ok, over the weekend I tested the battery and found that it measured 12.58 volts. It went up to 14.8 when I turned the engine on and didn't materially change when I revved the engine. I found the same readings at the plug for the low beam headlight.

I sprayed electrical cleaner on every connection in the headlight assembly, and used dielectectric grease on the low beam plug connector.

Now the low beam works without interruption (at least on my commute to work this morning). I'm not sure if that is due to my intervention.

Has anyone here experienced their low beam going dark on its own, then coming back on again? Just wondering if there's some known headlight wiring issue with the 1st generation Versys. Anything else I should be checking?

Thanks again for all the great help here!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 11:34 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Model A View Post
Ok, over the weekend I tested the battery and found that it measured 12.58 volts. It went up to 14.8 when I turned the engine on and didn't materially change when I revved the engine. I found the same readings at the plug for the low beam headlight.

I sprayed electrical cleaner on every connection in the headlight assembly, and used dielectectric grease on the low beam plug connector.

Now the low beam works without interruption (at least on my commute to work this morning). I'm not sure if that is due to my intervention.

Has anyone here experienced their low beam going dark on its own, then coming back on again? Just wondering if there's some known headlight wiring issue with the 1st generation Versys. Anything else I should be checking?

Thanks again for all the great help here!
ok sounds like your stater and RR are fine and it was just a bad connection (that you have fixed)

yes im a guy.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
W/ about 100,000 miles on two Gen 1s ('08 and '09), the ONLY low-beam problem I ever had was burning out ONE low beam bulb....

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

That's reassuring information. I'll keep my fingers crossed that my low beam continues to cooperate, and that my connection cleaning work was responsible for the correct performance. Will report back if I continue to have problems with the low beam. If the problem reappears it sounds like a job for a real mechanic. At least I'm not blowing out the halogen bulb from too much voltage.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 11:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
My advice as a headlight retrofitter is to DITCH the HID reflector you have, it is very clearly a cheap China copy. HIDs only work in housings designed for HID (Different arc pattern). If you want HID, you really have to upgrade to projectors to get more light on the road.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Agreed on ditching the HID. Day 2 and the ole' halogen bulb is working without fail. I can see the difference in the light pattern, where the halogen light has a distinct horizontal cutoff about waist high when projected out 30' or so, whereas the HID light pattern was much less focused. Thus the many complaints on this site about HIDs blinding oncoming cars. This suggests to me that the original owner didn't install a special HID refllector housing, but how would I be certain of this. Anyone have a photo of what a special HID reflector housing looks like?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-02-2016, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Never mind on the request for photos -- found pics of HID "projectors" online. I need to use the correct terminology here. I definitely do not have a HID projector housing on my V. It's nice to get back to stock and know that I'm not annoying other drivers with errant light.

The innate courtesy of car drivers toward motorcycle riders, at least in the Seattle area, must account for the fact that no one ever flashed their high beams at me for blinding them with my unfocused HID low beam. I am new to the motorcycle world, having started commuting full-time to my work in the Seattle area last February. My experience thus far has been remarkably positive, with almost every car driver behaving in a considerate manner toward me, giving me lots of room, not tailgating, etc.. Of course, I rarely give them cause for annoyance (other than my old HID antagonism). Unfortunately, I've observed many other motorcycle riders who give the rest of us a bad name -- weaving in an out of traffic in a dangerous and provocative way. At least in this area there's a higher percentage of overly aggressive motorcycle riders compared with cars. Glad that car drivers aren't as a result bigoted against all motorcycle riders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode