How many labor hours to install 2Bros? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2008, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
How many labor hours to install 2Bros?

Hey Gang-Just curious.....for those of you who have switched out exhaust or have experience in the area, how many hours of labor should I expect is fair to remove the stock can and install a carbon fiber slip-on 2Bros can? I've been waiting for the darn thing to come in since I bought my bike (it's been on backorder for a month), and now the dealership is telling me 1.5-2 hours labor. That's $120-160! It seems like they are gouging me a bit, but having never done the job I'm wondering how difficult it could possibly be to be worth $160 to me? I would consider myself fairly mechanically inclined-I built my house, I fixed my house a/c last week, plugged my rear tire after meeting with a 16penny framing nail last night.

I have a fair set of tools (no jokes about my dad being a TV repairman-you Fast Times at Ridgemont High fans!!! )

Can I do this? How long will it take me?

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 12:22 AM

Jeff,

I removed my stocker and installed the TBR in about an hour. It takes no exceptional skills to install and is kind of cool to look at it and know that you did it yourself.

Bob

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 07:06 AM

Do it yourself ! I'd say one hour tops.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 08:07 AM

This was the first time that I have ever switched exhaust on a bike and it took me 2.5 hours. Trial and error. If I had it to do over again, I would have started by taking the headers loose, then the muffler, and remove it all in one piece. Put it all together and replace it in one piece. 08 is right. It would have taken me approximately an hour, maybe less. You don't have to remove the back tire. You don't have to let the air out of the back tire. Some claim to be able to get the muffler off without doing anything. I tried that, it was impossible, hence the trial and error. I found it very easy once I got the muffler off. If you are mecanically inclined or have any similance of know how, your a step ahead of me, you will have no problem.

I can't help I am not on of the Sheeple.

Last edited by motorbum; 08-14-2008 at 08:11 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 06:03 PM
cls

I have two on Ninja 650's and one on a V. They are the same set-up, I guess you know. The first one took about an hour and a half. The next two were right under an hour. For the record: I am a mechanically inept rider.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Guys. That pretty much confirmed my thought that I could save some money doing it myself. I'm going to pick up the pipe tomorrow and do it at home.

I appreciate the feedback.

Jeff
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-14-2008, 07:56 PM
cls

You're welcome. You have to do a little fidgeting w/it, but it's no big deal. If all goes well, you'll be done in 30-45 minutes. If it's stubborn, it'll be an hour'ish, or so. Good luck.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

OK, next question (you didn't think I'd only ask one did you?)

So what tools will I need to do the job? I just want to make sure I don't have to make a trip out in the middle of the install. ie...What size metric wrenches/sockets? deep sockets needed? anything special needed like heat resist muffler tape? extra pieces like clamps?

Thanks!!

Jeff
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogdaddy View Post
OK, next question (you didn't think I'd only ask one did you?)

So what tools will I need to do the job? I just want to make sure I don't have to make a trip out in the middle of the install. ie...What size metric wrenches/sockets? deep sockets needed? anything special needed like heat resist muffler tape? extra pieces like clamps?

Thanks!!
Read the 1st part of the install instructions for my exhaust for tools you will need for removal. Hope these help !

Here are the links to the instructions. Choose Word .doc or Adobe .pdf whichever you like.

Word .doc
Gigasize link
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=5c6fkd3k9qb

Rapidshare link
http://rapidshare.com/files/13117539...tions.doc.html

Adobe .pdf
Gigasize link
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=kr1bccglcdb

Rapidshare link
http://rapidshare.com/files/13117539...tions.pdf.html
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 Versys View Post
Read the 1st part of the install instructions for my exhaust for tools you will need for removal. Hope these help !

Here are the links to the instructions. Choose Word .doc or Adobe .pdf whichever you like.

Word .doc
Gigasize link
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=5c6fkd3k9qb

Rapidshare link
http://rapidshare.com/files/13117539...tions.doc.html

Adobe .pdf
Gigasize link
http://www.gigasize.com/get.php?d=kr1bccglcdb

Rapidshare link
http://rapidshare.com/files/13117539...tions.pdf.html
08- Thanks so much for the instructions, they are very well done! Last question to you and anyone else that might know: I noticed your kit includes a step down pipe and some clamps. Does anyone know if I will need any more hardward to install the 2Bros?

Jeff

Last edited by boogdaddy; 08-15-2008 at 05:54 PM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-15-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogdaddy View Post
...Does anyone know if I will need any more hardward to install the 2Bros?
You are welcome, and thanks!

I imagine the 2 Bros comes with all necessary parts to install it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in