• 1 Post By SpyvsSpy
  • 1 Post By Biz
  • 1 Post By SpyvsSpy
  • 1 Post By SpyvsSpy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 06:51 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Help me choose between 2 exhausts

Hello all, I have been thinking about buying another motorcycle but came to the conclusion that it is more cost effective to modify my Versys to have exactly what I want! So exhaust wise, if anybody has some input on either exhaust that might help seal the deal...feel free to chime in. So far I have these two in mind:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261653567454?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368

http://m.ebay.com/itm/261807789145?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:00 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I like the one that was shown on the Versys. So if it looks like the one on the bike then i'd take #2 .......http://www.ebay.com/itm/261807789145

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
I like the one that was shown on the Versys. So if it looks like the one on the bike then i'd take #2 .......Giannelli Maxi Oval Slip on for Kawasaki 07 11 Versys 650 05 11 650R Aluminum | eBay
Any reason in particular? I like the sound of the MiVV but I like the look of the Gianelli better

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpyvsSpy View Post
Any reason in particular? I like the sound of the MiVV but I like the look of the Gianelli better

I was going by looks only. Haven't heard either one of them. But most of the exhaust sound pretty similar.

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 09:41 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
MIVV is made of stainless steel instead of aluminum... It's probably better quality and more dependable. I choose # 1.

http://www.mivv.it/en/contenuto_statico.asp?cs=62

State of the art construction techniques, and an 'old style' design. This is the winning combination that characterizes our 'X-cone'.

They have mainly been conceived for installation on naked and super-sports models, on models with futuristic, but also retro designs, where the conical shapes can be fully matched to the overall look, or can create an exciting contrast.
The clearly 'seventies' feel, with its undoubtedly passionate nature, of our X-cone terminal (the body has a brushed finish), is supported by a top class construction and the utmost attention to detail. AISI 304 stainless steel with extremely high resistance, made of sheet with a thickness of 0.8 mm only, for minimum weight.

Last edited by invader; 06-28-2016 at 09:45 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 04:40 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
The stock exhaust was not one of the choices. I will have to do a write in vote.

My Versys Travels:

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:12 AM Thread Starter

I like the stock exhaust and wouldn't change it but the saying goes,"Loud pipes save lives." I see way to many motorists on their damn phones and if a louder exhaust gets their attention then I am all for it. I'm also going to get a louder horn as well.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:18 AM

Garage
Quote:
I like the stock exhaust and wouldn't change it but the saying goes,"Loud pipes save lives." I see way to many motorists on their damn phones and if a louder exhaust gets their attention then I am all for it. I'm also going to get a louder horn as well.
A loud pipe only helps if you are slowly passing a car on a 4 lane road.

The majority of motorcycle wrecks involving a car are from the car turning left in front of you, or the car pulling out from a side street. In those scenarios a loud pipe does nothing. Additional lighting, hi viz, and a weave pattern help keep you noticed.

I have seen bikes approachin from the rear while on the interstate that were running very loud pipes. I never heard them until their exhaust outlet was parallel with the side of my truck. They were loudest when just in front of me.

With these modern cars, I barely can hear emergency vehicles until they are upon me, and I play my music at background volume.
weljo2001 likes this.

My Versys Travels:

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 11:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
That just what assholes say to being so obnoxious..Its more like "Loud Pipes Piss Off The Neighbors".

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

Mike Tyson

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Neighbors??...fk them, lol.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

MIVV Oval Slip-on, Titanium, for Kawasaki Versys 650 06-14, PJ's Parts

Here is the compromise between the x cone Mivv and the Gianelli. Titanium slip on for 324 out the door price! I think this baby is the one for me and my Versys!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:16 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
loud pipes make noise behind you , loud HORNS make noise IN FRONT of you......and are loud only when you need them to be

just my $.02

tho ill admit i wouldnt mind if the versys was a bit louder in the 5k+ range

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

I got some cash to burn and i figured its cheaper to put 5-1k in the Versys than buy a +2k dr650 to supermoto it. On my list I had exhaust, crash bars, hand guards, and lower kit from motowerks
Irish green likes this.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 08:30 PM
Biz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Many of the lifestyle bikers that espouse that 'safety' hooey also wear a worthless brain bucket helmet; sometimes just a bandana, or nothing. Loud pipes are great for mental fatigue and hearing loss, but do they really save lives? Well, no. They provide riders some 'hey dig me' attention. Doppler Effect is another fact that shoots holes in the loud pipes argument. If you ride long distances, the last thing you really want is hours of ear splitting noise. My 2.
twowheeladdict likes this.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz View Post
Many of the lifestyle bikers that espouse that 'safety' hooey also wear a worthless brain bucket helmet; sometimes just a bandana, or nothing. Loud pipes are great for mental fatigue and hearing loss, but do they really save lives? Well, no. They provide riders some 'hey dig me' attention. Doppler Effect is another fact that shoots holes in the loud pipes argument. If you ride long distances, the last thing you really want is hours of ear splitting noise. My 2.
Thank you for your opinion. So which exhaust do you think I should get or are you not done trying to defecate on someone else's purchase?
Irish green likes this.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:10 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Leo Vince is the only manufacturer I am aware of that makes an underbody specific exhaust for the Versys. It also looks and sounds great but is pricey.

That said, for the money spent vs performance gain on the Versys, I'm not sure any exhaust mod is worth the money, especially when you throw in the annoyance and sometimes law enforcement issues that come with a very loud exhaust. Any weight saving in the underbody mounting position will be unnoticeable, unlike bikes with higher mounted cans. What I'm saying is do it because you really like the sound and it's not obscenely loud or you like the look, but don't do it for the performance unless you also have a power commander or some other way to adjust fuel mapping to exploit a freer flowing exhaust.

Last edited by twowheels; 06-30-2016 at 12:23 AM.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 06:42 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thank you for your opinion. So which exhaust do you think I should get or are you not done trying to defecate on someone else's purchase?
I don't care if you change your exhaust, but saying science is an opinion shows why you think loud pipes save lives.

Buy one because you like the sound. Don't try and justify the purchase based on fallacy.

My Versys Travels:

post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheeladdict View Post
I don't care if you change your exhaust, but saying science is an opinion shows why you think loud pipes save lives.

Buy one because you like the sound. Don't try and justify the purchase based on fallacy.
So which one did you choose?
invader likes this.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 12:57 PM

Garage
so.... DR650 SM is the direction? first thing I would do is what I just did for my bike... buy extra wheels to mount different tires. I'm goin more dirt worthy though.... TKCs on one set, street tires on the other. used Versys wheels are cheap! if you are looking for a power bump or a shift in range with the exhaust I'm guessing you would also need a Power Commander to get the benefit. choice of mufflers... for me it would be the one that helps power the most without getting too loud. I have an FMF Q4 on my KLR & that is as loud as I want... on long trips that drones on enough to be noticeable. any more noise than that would be unpleasant and not beneficial for my intended use.

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-30-2016, 07:02 PM

Garage
Quote:
So which one did you choose?
I would choose the highest quality one developed by engineers with knowledge of fluid dynamics. The one with the optimal back pressure and flow.

Or I would just chose the pretty one, or the cheapest.

My Versys Travels:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode