Advice wanted...today I crashed my beloved V! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 08:56 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Advice wanted...today I crashed my beloved V! UPDATE!

I was riding across town on local roads early this afternoon to run an errand or two and I was cruising at about 30-35 mph on a wide 1 lane road(Cretin Ave in st paul, mn) when I saw ahead at the intersection of Randolph and Cretin(if anyone cares!) a car was turning left with 3 cars in line waiting for them to turn. I veered right to pass the line up(there was more than a car's width of space on the right)...and accelerated to probably 40 mph or so(yes I was speeding a little...limit was 30) when the car ahead of me...stopped and waiting for the other car to turn decided to get right out of their current position to take advantage of the available space...and cut me off. I had no choice but to jam on the brakes and the steering wheel locked left and I bit it and went over the handlebars. It was such a blur as anybody whose been in an accident knows.

I was wearing jeans, red wing boots, a leather jacket and a half helmet. Somehow my left knee took the majority of the impact, tearing my jeans and inflicting a nice cut/bruise which is swollen and from my extensive knee history feels like I may have damaged cartilage/ligament. MY hands have not a scratch.

The bike would not start after the accident and the woman who cut me off was nice enough to let me park my bike in front of her house and she drove me home.

Damage is as follows:

-handlebar feels bent(Im hoping thats all it is)
-scrapes to left plastic
-scraped/gashed crank case
-scraped left mirror
-severely bent shift lever
-scraped rear left grab plastic
-broken left front reflector
-scraped/gashed inner left wheel
-gashed left handlebar weight

Upon returning a few hours later to haul away my v...it did start...and my buddy took it for a quick spin extolling it's wheelie virtues on his return...he's a nut!

I'm looking for advice on whether I should file w/insurance($500 deductible)...wondering if more than the handlebars are bent the insurance co would consider totalling the bike. Whose at fault here? Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.

I'll try to post pics!

pete in mn

Last edited by ullmandds; 09-23-2010 at 11:41 AM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:07 PM

Glad your ok and I would probably go the insurance route. Depends on if you want the bike put back together like new or just the parts that really need replacing (shift lever, mirror, etc.). That is why I pay for it, might as well use it. Part replacement is pretty expensive.
Good luck and get that knee looked at quick.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Glad your ok and I would probably go the insurance route. Depends on if you want the bike put back together like new or just the parts that really need replacing (shift lever, mirror, etc.). That is why I pay for it, might as well use it. Part replacement is pretty expensive.
Good luck and get that knee looked at quick.
Wise words there thumper, get your knee checked out. Sorry about your miss fortune, Hope you are ok.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

And your bike didn't start right away because it has a tip over sensor. Glad you're relatively ok & are here to tell us about it! Good luck getting her fixed!

post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:23 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Very sorry to hear of you misfortune and thrust you will return to good health soon and the knee will be ok.

On the bike go get the insurance to take care of returning it to good health too, that's why we pay insurance in the first place.

and may you heel well to ride again.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:31 PM

I also agree on the insurance route. An estimate will truely surprise you of the cost an labor to repair.
Hope your knee is going to be alright and get better soon!

Fishing and riding,doesn't get any better!!

2009 Lime green Versys
Baldwin reg. saddle w/lime grn. thread and gel insert
Hepco & Becker crash bars
Givi side carriers w/ E21's
Fenda Extenda
Motowerk foot peg lowering blocks & mirror extenders
cut tail fender
black lower panels
Mikesshields Gran Touring, clear
Alaskan Leather Pillion 1 buttpad (trip use only)
Sw-Motech 20mm riser

Versys gone..replace with Victory Hammer
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-11-2010, 10:36 PM
djg

I'm in that general area, I ride to work from Hudson to Holman Field. Never been exactly where you crashed. Too bad, especially the knees. If you decide to fix it yourself, give me a PM, I can help. If the lady admits fault, I would go insurance.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

thanks for well wishes and advise everyone. in retrospect i was stupid and didnt call the police to have a report filled out. now i need to file a report with the dmv. i'm not really sure whether I should then file with my insurance co? not really sure how fault will be determined either?

pete
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 AM

Sorry about the wreck.

I would be cautious involving the police and insurance considering your actions leading up to the spill. Speeding is one thing, but unless you were in a specified lane when the accident occured, you may be SOL. You could even end up at fault with a moving violation ticket.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 12:40 AM

Sorry about your spill.

Get well soon...and i don't know 'bout U.S. law but in Canada you might be charged with leaving the scene of an accident...depending on the circumstances... may want to look into that first.

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
All the best ullmandds with your healing and the bikes. Pic's would be good, cheers
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 08:26 AM

Glad your OK and walked away from this one. Speedy recovery with your knee & your Versys.

If I understand you correctly, you were zipping along up the right side of stopped cars that were waiting for another car to turn. If this is correct, the lady that cut you off never saw you. She likely did a quick look for a car but in a quick glance didn't see the small object (you) in the passenger mirror.

Seeing how you were on a one lane road (however it was wide), in most states it is illegal to pass on the right in this case. That would be considered passing on the shoulder even though you had pavement. What the lady did also would be illegal. Your accident is the very reason for such laws.

People get impatient when stopped. Everyone is in such a damn hurry to get to their destinations.

getting her fixed up! Keep us posted. Again... Speedy recovery!
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Glad your OK and walked away from this one. Speedy recovery with your knee & your Versys.

If I understand you correctly, you were zipping along up the right side of stopped cars that were waiting for another car to turn. If this is correct, the lady that cut you off never saw you. She likely did a quick look for a car but in a quick glance didn't see the small object (you) in the passenger mirror.

Seeing how you were on a one lane road (however it was wide), in most states it is illegal to pass on the right in this case. That would be considered passing on the shoulder even though you had pavement. What the lady did also would be illegal. Your accident is the very reason for such laws.

People get impatient when stopped. Everyone is in such a damn hurry to get to their destinations.

getting her fixed up! Keep us posted. Again... Speedy recovery!

He's right. Your screwed on the whos at fault issue. Take it up with your insurance or pony up the price or ride it like it is.
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter

I looked into MN law and:

1...it is legal to pass on the right when car is in lane waiting to make a left turn...BUT...
2...it is illegal to pass on the right within 100 ft of an intersection...so...

I believe we were both at fault.
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:32 AM

The shift lever is easy to bend back.... but the crankcase being scratched is the one thing that would make me claim it.... Even that is probably not too expensive. The difference in insurance with a claim or without is still worth it.

I dropped mine last week when I slid over an oil patch and did all that same stuff except the crankcase.... My pride is in the ER still...

Glad you are okay.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

"http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v5.jpg"]http://http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v5.jpg[/URL]
"http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v10.jpg"]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v10.jpg[/URL]
"http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v1.jpg"]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v1.jpg[/URL]
"http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v2.jpg"]http:
//i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v2.jpg[/URL]
"http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v8.jpg"]http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v8.jpg[/URL]
"http://http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v9.jpg"]http://http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i176/ullmandds/v9.jpg[/URL]
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:08 AM

If you have the old-fashioned kind of an insurance that has an agent, talk to him/her. Mine is an excellent advisor about whether something is worth filing a claim for, even about whether to involve the police or not.

I'm thinking that she is at fault, but an agent will probably know with more accuracy.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:09 AM

I'll help you with your photos.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:28 AM

Thing to remember is that when you get a quote for the insurance to be specific about what parts you are going to just sand out and spray yourself and which parts need replacing. Otherwise the person doing the estimate will replace everything with even a scratch on it along with stupid amounts of labor and you will be in totaled land very quickly.

My insurance accepted my estimate that I did using the online parts sites which worked out to be less than the deductible.

A lot of the damage I see in your pics can be taken care of without totally replacing the parts. It won't be perfect but it won't be $100 for a bit of plastic either.

2009 Kawasaki Versys
SWM Engine Guard; Windscreen de Jour on a MadStad bracket; Motowerk Peg Lowering kit & Stand Big Foot; ProTaper ATV Low bars; Stebel horn; KTM Duals Rear Rack; Coocase 36L topcase...and more to come

post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:32 AM

Unless another vehicle makes contact with another, there is no fault in the person who pulls out. This is a sad fact and happened to a local V owner here. The SUV pulled out, he swerved and went down... no contact was made and she fled the scene without breaking a single law.

:/

I know how you feel about the bike... now is time to sand and paint that silver stuff black!

I'd look on the phish and see what that crankcase cover costs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode