Several small changes = decent performance improvent! - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:32 PM Thread Starter

Several small changes = decent performance improvent!

I took a week off of riding to fiddle with my '08 V. The changes made a noticeable improvement in the performance of the bike.

This is what I did:
- Replaced the stock air filter, that had been over oiled by the dealer, and was dirty, with a new BMC filter (a K&N type clone)
- Removed the airbox snorkels
- Put in new spark plugs
- Replaced the worn, over size (by 1 tooth) CS sprocket with a new stock one
- [Last year I replaced the muffler with a Yoshi 2 outlet muffler]

While riding to work this morning on I-43, I was doing about 80 mph (indicated) on a straight, flat section of road, and whacked the throttle open. In no time at all I was doing 120, and had to let off while still accelerating, as I caught up to the traffic ahead. I've ridden that stretch of road many times in the past, and never got that kind of acceleration or speed in that short amount of time or distance.

It sounds a little "raw" with the snorkels out, and the low end/mid range response feels a bit raw too. But the 6k to 8k rush is fun!

After I run most of the fuel out of the tank, I will see what happens with the snorkels put back in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
I took a week off of riding to fiddle with my '08 V. The changes made a noticeable improvement in the performance of the bike.

This is what I did:
- Replaced the stock air filter, that had been over oiled by the dealer, and was dirty, with a new BMC filter (a K&N type clone)
- Removed the airbox snorkels
- Put in new spark plugs
- Replaced the worn, over size (by 1 tooth) CS sprocket with a new stock one
- [Last year I replaced the muffler with a Yoshi 2 outlet muffler]

While riding to work this morning on I-43, I was doing about 80 mph (indicated) on a straight, flat section of road, and whacked the throttle open. In no time at all I was doing 120, and had to let off while still accelerating, as I caught up to the traffic ahead. I've ridden that stretch of road many times in the past, and never got that kind of acceleration or speed in that short amount of time or distance.

It sounds a little "raw" with the snorkels out, and the low end/mid range response feels a bit raw too. But the 6k to 8k rush is fun!

After I run most of the fuel out of the tank, I will see what happens with the snorkels put back in.
I took the snorkel off my ZRX1200 once and the bike ran like crap. Snapped it back on and the bike worked fine again. I learned that diddling with the airbox can have bad ramifications. They are designed to suck air in at a certain volume and speed. Within the design parameters, they supposedly resonate causing the least resistance to intake flow. Start monkeying around with the box and all bets are off...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-20-2016, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlebag View Post
I took the snorkel off my ZRX1200 once and the bike ran like crap. Snapped it back on and the bike worked fine again. I learned that diddling with the airbox can have bad ramifications. They are designed to suck air in at a certain volume and speed. Within the design parameters, they supposedly resonate causing the least resistance to intake flow. Start monkeying around with the box and all bets are off...
Let me clarify my previous post - The performance improvement only occurred at 6,000 rpm and above.

Below 6,000 rpm - there is lots of sputtering, coughing, and dead spots in the power-band. It is more difficult to ride the V without the snorkels in most situations. I understand the concept of airbox design, resonance, airflow momentum, etc. I agree that "you can't get something for nothing" in the case of airbox design.

I plan to put the snorkels back in after I run most of the fuel out of the tank. I'm expecting (or hoping?) that the new BMC filter will allow the engine to perform better than what it did with the old, dirty, over oiled stock filter.

Last edited by trialsguy; 06-20-2016 at 08:20 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

I put the snorkels back in. With the snorkels back in, my engine has retained the top end gain, while bringing back the low/midrange controllability/power.

So now I'm thinking that the increase in top end performance is due to going from an over-oiled stock filter to a new, clean, BMC filter.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-29-2016, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
probably more dirty filter vs. clean filter.

i don't mind a little extra filter oil, the extra oil tends to coat the air box surfaces downstream of the filter and helps collect anything that gets past the filter itself. i've never once split the airbox and found everything clean behind the filter.
Yep, it could be that too.

I found a few pieces of insects in the corners of the airbox (behind the filter), but no dirt or dust. I'm wondering if the insects were in there before my V was assembled in the factory back in 2007? The pieces look too big to have gotten past the filter or its gaskets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode