2009 Versys electrical outlet install - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Garage
2009 Versys electrical outlet install

Gents,
I'm guessing that this isn't too difficult of a project, but I am absolutely clueless when it comes to electrical. I am looking to install a 12v socket into the dash on my 2009 Versys, but have no idea what kit I should be looking for, or how to install it. Some questions:

1) any recommendation for kits/components to make this easy (the 2009 Versys isn't wired for accessories)?
2) is it recommended to set up the socket to remain "hot" even when the bike isn't running? If so, how do I do this?

I've found quite a bit of info in the forum, but I'm too novice to know what applies to the Gen 1 Versys and what doesn't. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:28 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
i have a write up of my installing a cheap switch fuse block to my 08 (same as 09) i dont like thinks to be always hot (thought of a place to short out and or drain the battery) but if you wanna do it hot just hook it right to the battery and add an inline fuse and your done

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:47 AM

Garage
Hi

I have my accessories wired via a Fuze-Block under my left fairing.

Depending on where you put your fuse it can be hot or controlled by the key.

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:09 AM

Sounds like you have a spot to connect the 12V plug into if you have a fuse block. Usually one or two of the slots on one end or the other are hot. I used to keep mine hot since that is where I plugged in my trickle charger. No I have a separate wire for the battery charger that is in one of the hot slots, so I keep my 12V plug on a cold line. I've never installed mine, just keep it hanging by wire by the front left faring, and sealed with a cork. I'm getting ready to replace it with a double USB plug, and I will cut a hole and install that on the left side of the dash.

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
i have a write up of my installing a cheap switch fuse block to my 08 (same as 09) i dont like thinks to be always hot (thought of a place to short out and or drain the battery) but if you wanna do it hot just hook it right to the battery and add an inline fuse and your done
Thanks,
Where can I find your write up? I searched for it through the forum to no avail.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayj View Post
Sounds like you have a spot to connect the 12V plug into if you have a fuse block. Usually one or two of the slots on one end or the other are hot. I used to keep mine hot since that is where I plugged in my trickle charger. No I have a separate wire for the battery charger that is in one of the hot slots, so I keep my 12V plug on a cold line. I've never installed mine, just keep it hanging by wire by the front left faring, and sealed with a cork. I'm getting ready to replace it with a double USB plug, and I will cut a hole and install that on the left side of the dash.
I'll have to look, but I don't believe I have a fuse box. I don't believe the first generation bikes have them.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
I'm getting ready to replace it with a double USB plug, and I will cut a hole and install that on the left side of the dash.
I have both.

Here is a link to a really good double USB

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA1234321 View Post
I don't believe the first generation bikes have them.
Correct - that is why I added a Fuze-Block

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 10:48 PM

Garage
No need to cut the dash.12V Outlet / USB with an on/off switch...https://www.amazon.com/EKLIPES-EK1-1...36T216MD8WB85S

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 12:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
No need to cut the dash.12V Outlet / USB with an on/off switch...https://www.amazon.com/EKLIPES-EK1-1...36T216MD8WB85S
And lower on that page is a link to a cig & 2 USB

Too bad I didn't know of these several years ago. I put the 12 volt on in 2010 & the USB's in 2012.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 08:36 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA1234321 View Post
Thanks,
Where can I find your write up? I searched for it through the forum to no avail.
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ects-come.html

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Haha...Thanks, I appreciate the post!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2016, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Sounds like you have a spot to connect the 12V plug into if you have a fuse block....
Bigaussie, I was thinking you had posted the original message. I've got to start paying more attention, or, start drinking more and writing and riding less.

For CA1234123 re: a spot for fuze block, I have attached a pic of the Eastern Beaver block I got from an expat American who lives in Japan and makes quality stuff. The one I have has 2 hot slots and 6 cold (ignition on only) slots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P3101637.jpg (49.8 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg P3101638.jpg (86.3 KB, 71 views)

rayj
2009 Versys (Mine's Green)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode