33bhp restriction - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
33bhp restriction

I have just got my CBT and am prepping for the UK mod 1 and mod 2 tests. While new to riding, I'm hugely enjoying it, even on the CBR125R I have at the moment. I'm an everyday commuter into London, and a weekend rider too. As I've said, will soon hopefully have the full UK licence. I have a choice, do the test on the 125 I have and stay restricted to 33bhp for 2 years (cheapest route to a full licence), or do direct access (much more expensive). The advice I have had has been to go the restricted route, and do a probation period on a restricted bike (this is the advice from several bike trainers I trust). Now the reason for putting this in the performance mods section.... The Versys can obviously be restricted, but does anyone know which type of restrictor kit is used on it, and whether it "minds" being restricted???

My other option is a Susuki DL650 V-Strom. You can see my thinking, get a decent multipurpose, middleweight, jack-of-all-trades bike. Has anyone owned a Susuki that can compare them for me?

Your considered collective experience will be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 07:39 AM

I also have mine restricted here in Spain, but to 47bhp(thank god) - Iīd hate to have to go down further in power

Anyway itīs a very simple way of doing it here in Spain.They just put a little stopper on down where the acceleration cable pulls so that you canīt open the throttle so much. It doesnīt tough the engine at all.

By the way I would also go for the restricted route, harder to kill yourself that way.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:17 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Hippogrif

Go for the restricted to 33 for 2 years and than graduate to bigger cc. Better to start with a small cc than to go to a big one and find it difficult to make use of it to the fullest.

I started from C70 to ZZR250 and now Versys 650.

anyway its my 2cts thoughts only.

all the best and

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:22 AM

Wow! I've never heard of this before! I didn't know that they restricted people in other countries like that. I think it is a good idea and keeps a lot of problems down but wow!!! Just the thought of being on some type of restriction puts an itch on my American back...and it would be scratched thoroughly! Then again, I don't like to live anywhere for very long. 2.5 years is the longest I've ever lived in one city or house since age 15...gotta keep moving. Guess I'm just a little different.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
In nZ you cannot ride anything above 250cc unless you have a full license, learners then resticted then full.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_milstead View Post
Wow! I've never heard of this before! I didn't know that they restricted people in other countries like that.
Most places outside of the US (the EU in particular) do this. The concept is similar to the graduated driver's licensing programs that most US states have implemented, or are about to, except that it relates to vehicle power instead of hours of operation.

I appreciate that in the States there is a nearly inalienable right for an inexperienced rider to kill oneself on an over-powered bike; it becomes a problem, though, when other riders / drivers / pedestrians are impacted, in the most literal sense. The manufacturers (and the AMA) would probably hate to see HP restriction implemented here, but IMO it would be a great step to improve the odds of new riders becoming competent (and still living!) riders.

Just my .02...

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:26 PM

I feel like such an old guy! Most anyone over the age of 50 (I am well over) probably only had up to a 750cc available to start out on. That was more power than experience then. Most of us old guys started in the 1960's at 15yrs of age or so, with no money, and it probably was more like a 50cc or 60cc Jap bike. Now you can start out on a 1400cc Kaw ZX14 or faster and the experience level just does not have time to catch up with the bike before it's too late. I am against more regulation but I fear for our youth sometimes.

"The Road Goes On Forever And The Party Never Ends"
IBA #23562

post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:50 PM

I started out with a 1979 GS1000 when I was a young lad in the 80's. Then it was Ninja 1000; now I guess I've regressed to a more sane 650 Versys! (which I love)
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:39 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I can see the rationale of restricting horse power....but I agree as an American it definitely sets my teeth on edge. Just hate it when the government tells me it knows whats good for me. (usually it doesn't).

As for the original poster. I say go with the restricted. Its the smarter way to go. I think all new riders should start on a small bike...just don't think the government should make me. Its like seat belt laws...always wear one but don't like the laws telling me I have to or else. Luckily I live in the last state in the union to not have adopted this law. As we say in New Hampshire....Live Free or Die!
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offcamber View Post
I can see the rationale of restricting horse power....but I agree as an American it definitely sets my teeth on edge. Just hate it when the government tells me it knows whats good for me. (usually it doesn't).

As for the original poster. I say go with the restricted. Its the smarter way to go. I think all new riders should start on a small bike...just don't think the government should make me. Its like seat belt laws...always wear one but don't like the laws telling me I have to or else. Luckily I live in the last state in the union to not have adopted this law. As we say in New Hampshire....Live Free or Die!
For the most part, I agree with you. However, seat belt (or helmet) use is different than riding a bike you can't handle. In the first two cases, the primary risk is to yourself - a risk you should have the right to take (although I choose not to). In this situation, though, there is an equal or greater risk to other people as well, who have not (deliberately) chosen to be injured or killed due to my incompetence. And for better or worse, that is the kind of area where I believe that government has a legitimate role to play.

Riding is, by its nature, a calculated risk. But I think we should do what we can to reduce that risk, not only to ourselves but to those who choose differently than we do.

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 05:03 PM

within the EU you have various routes to getting a full motorbike licence

All UK bike riders must complete a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) basic stuff such as how to put on/off a centre stand, controlled/emergency stop, basic controls (brake, accelerator and so on, followed by a 2 hour observed section on the road). after completing the CBT you have two years to complete the next stages (throery, hazard perception, practical).

if you are over (IIRC over 21) you can elect to do what called DAS (Direct Access Scheme) where you can do your practical on a more powerfull bike, completing the practical on this more powerfull bike allows you to ride any bike. If you are not over 21 or decide not to go down the DAS route then you take your practical test on a bike of less than 33PS, or you are under 21 then you have to take your test on a power limited bike. Assuming you pass the practical you are then limited to a bike of no more than 33ps output. you can ride a bike with more than 33PS assuming its fitted with a restriction kit.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 09:13 PM

I have to say Wow. I guess its a good thing though. I got my endorcment on a modified Kawasaki 500 tripple two stroke when I was 15, the year was 1975. After riding the key and stuff The instuctor took me out to a side street and told me to go like I was number one down about a hundred yards and then come back like I was number one. I said to him you want me to go fast? he just said go like you #1. I said I race motorcycles and that sounds like you want me to go fast? again he just said go like your #1. Man, I had the front wheel on that 500 about 2 inches off the ground all the way there and back. The old man shook his head, I said what? you told me to go like I was number one! by the look on his face I thought I was in big trouble, he didn't say a thing just passed me. That was so weird and cool at the same time, Ill never forget it.
I kinda feel sorry for ya having to go through this, I couldn't imagine ristrickting my bike! no way.

Donn

Last edited by Nytrydr; 09-09-2010 at 10:16 PM.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:24 PM

I'd vote for the restricted route..........you've got the rest of your life to ride bigger bikes. Take your time & learn good fundamentals, never get lazy.

Both the V-Strom and the Versys are great bikes. With the shorter wheelbase the Versys
might be more fun going thru the traffic, can't go wrong with either bike.

Good luck with your decisions,
Dan
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:29 PM

Like I said, I do think it is a good idea, same goes with cars. Get a kid an old boat that is made of the real stuff (not plastic) and make sure it can't go fast at all. After they have a few fender benders (and God willing are not hurt in any way) then they can move up to a nicer car.

2009 GREEN Kawasaki Versys

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_milstead View Post
Like I said, I do think it is a good idea, same goes with cars. Get a kid an old boat that is made of the real stuff (not plastic) and make sure it can't go fast at all. After they have a few fender benders (and God willing are not hurt in any way) then they can move up to a nicer car.
Funny... I did exactly that with my son, many years ago. Set him up with a 9-year old Chevy Cavalier wagon, which could maybe do 85 downhill with a tail wind - and he still managed to get his share of tickets. He may yet forgive me... but at least he's around to do so.

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:38 AM
djg

I'd follow the instructor's advice. My first bike was a '75 Yamaha RD 350 with 39 HP. Fast enough to get me a ticket.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:35 AM

The problem with a law like this in the US is that it unfairly targets motorcyclists. There are currently no power restrictions on cars for new drivers. In typical US fashion the majority (car drivers) expect the minority (bikers) to conform to a standard that the majority doesn't necessarily have to conform to. Bikes in some states have decibel restrictions, but cars don't have it. Motorcycle events have been targeted by police to be checkpoints for verifying endorsement status and checking legality. Happens every bike night on Beale Street in Memphis. The bikers pull into Beale and the cops are standing there waiting to ticket them for things like "tag in the wrong place" or "blinking LED tail lights". We never see this sort of behavior from the police at car shows.

Of course I would never think this kind of law could go on the books here, but I never thought I'd be forced by my government to buy medical insurance either.

2009 Versys
2000 Vulcan Drifter 800
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice regarding route to licence. It struck me that I will probably do the direct access route but self-impose a restriction at a level I feel comfortable with, I do think a restricted period is a good idea and feel I'm responsible enough to manage my own level of competency. I'm in my early thirties and have been driving since I was 17, so, understanding traffic and the roads doesn't faze me. I'm still amazed that in the UK 17 year olds can do a CBT and get straight out on the roads, having to deal with traffic and the bike. I have, in the passed, had advanced driving training from a police instructor, and much of that I'm using in my riding but intend to get specific advanced riding training from a local group. So, back to the question at hand. In the UK can I have an adjustable restrictor fitted to the Versys (I really like the Versys and this seems like the bike for me) that I can wind back as I grow into the bike. Something like a bolt on the throttle stop that will prevent the throttle being fully opened??? I'm covering something like 750 miles a month, so my learning seems to be quite quick, and have already grown into the 125 and will soon outgrow it.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:02 AM

If you have a choice do Direct Access, get a full licence. then once you've passed your test you are not restricted to any type of bike. that doesn't mean you should go out and buy a Hayabusa as your first post test bike. heck for all I know you may well be abel to get a restirctor kit for a hayabusa.

bear in mind that the speed of the bike is controlled by the engine management unit fitted to your right arm (ie your hand gripping the throttle). you can ride power restricted bike into just as many dagerous situations as you can an unrestricted bike. the only real difference is that on an unrestricted bike its likely to be faster and heavier than a restricted bike.

someone earlier made a good comment... ask around, ask your instructor what they think is suitable.

depedning on your age and temprament that may be a 250cc, 650cc or litre bike. finding the right bike for you depends on you, your confidence your maturity your budget and what sort of ridign you want to do.

as a returning rider, aged 49 I knew I wanted something more powerfull than a 33 limited bike, I didn't want a race rep, I didn't want a trundler/cruiser. I wanted something that was a sit up & beg style of bike. and for me the Versys fits the bill perfectly. I looked at a Vstrom and Versys.. the Versys felt marginally more comfortable than the VStrom, the rest is history. I tyle the Versys as powerful enough to scare, but not too powerful to terrify. its got ample power but not stupid amounts, although like anything it can get you into trouble

the final decision point for me was the friendliness of the forums the two Versys forums (here and versys.co.uk) came across as a welcoming friendly group with a free flowing give and taking of comments, humour advice and so on. the Vstrom forums less so. in part that may be tha age profile of the Versys is that it attracts slightly older people so theres a bit less f the spotty kid mentality.

but whatever you do do.. good luck with the test, if you do buy a Versys bob over to the versys.co.uk site and no doubt we'll all meet up sometime
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 10:22 AM

I am a bit like yourself Hippogrif. I am 33, rode a 125 for 4 years before I got my license.

I am now restricted at 47bhp for 2 years and the bike can still do easy 160km and is way fast enough to cause damage or get me into troubleYou are only really losing top end power, but since I never got to try her out fully powered ,I dont know what I am missing. It is still enough to go two up on long trips without any trouble whatsoever.-

In other words, go restricted.

If you go full license, it will be very difficult for you to restrict once youīve tasted the power.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
restrictor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode