Handlebar Risers after Seat Mod? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Handlebar Risers after Seat Mod?

I recently raised the front of my stock seat by raising the front, underseat attachment point. Although I haven't been on any long rides since, seating position feels much more comfortable. However, my reach to the handlebars seems more of a stretch now. I think this might be a comfort issue on a longer ride.

Has anyone felt the need for handlebar risers after making such a seat modification? If so, did the risers solve the problem?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves

Last edited by mchieffallo; 09-08-2010 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Dark Arrow Slip-On Exhaust, Spencer's Seat, Alaskan Sheepskin Buttpad, Givi Windshield, Givi E460 Topcase, SW Motech Crashbars, SW Motech Alu-Rack, Cortech Sport Soft Saddlebags/Tailbag, 16T Front Sprocket, Kawasaki Z-1000 Mirrors, Speedy's Handlebar Riser, Speedy's FlatFoot, MFW Highway Pegs, Gerbings Heated Gloves
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM

After Spencer modified and leveled my seat, the reach to the bars was more than I liked. I installed Motowerks 1" bar riser and it brought the handlebars back to a comfortable and natural position.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:29 PM

I'd think twice about pulling the bars back too much, if at all...after mentioning to my mechanic today I was thinking of getting risers and pulling back the bar a bit so it'd be a more relaxed position for my arms to be in...more bend at the elbow that is....he pointed out the relationship between the fork angle and the change of direction from the head to the handle grips....stating that the more the bars are 'over' the forks the better feel and control one has. He recommended actually rolling them forward slightly not back towards the rider. He also pointed out that if i were to adjust them that the front two screws should be tightend down first leaving any gap between the upper and lower block on the lower(closest to the rider)screws...just somthing to look into or try out...

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:38 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Got the Baldwin Tall Seat had to get the risers for a more relaxed comfortable ride for the arms and shoulders
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Ron View Post
I'd think twice about pulling the bars back too much, if at all...after mentioning to my mechanic today I was thinking of getting risers and pulling back the bar a bit so it'd be a more relaxed position for my arms to be in...more bend at the elbow that is....he pointed out the relationship between the fork angle and the change of direction from the head to the handle grips....stating that the more the bars are 'over' the forks the better feel and control one has. He recommended actually rolling them forward slightly not back towards the rider. He also pointed out that if i were to adjust them that the front two screws should be tightend down first leaving any gap between the upper and lower block on the lower(closest to the rider)screws...just somthing to look into or try out...
The Bar Raiser by Speedy doesn't alter the angle in any way. All remains the same and only the height move a bit. Handle bar forward movement towards the rider is not that much if you keep the original setting.
Handling is far better than stock.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-08-2010, 11:18 PM

Good points Fastoman. I hear what the wrench says, and get the principle, yet it won't allow for an easier, more relaxed reach for me. I have no trouble handling the bike now but don't want to lose the feel of the front end with the bars further removed from a position more over the forks. You can still zig zag good at 40-50 km/hr and tuck nicely into corners with confidence...same as before??

That extender does look like the answer to my straight arm problem though!!

Don't Get Cabin Fever!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Good points Fastoman. I hear what the wrench says, and get the principle, yet it won't allow for an easier, more relaxed reach for me. I have no trouble handling the bike now but don't want to lose the feel of the front end with the bars further removed from a position more over the forks. You can still zig zag good at 40-50 km/hr and tuck nicely into corners with confidence...same as before??

A diagram for your sight and how the angles moves. Most of teh settings remain the same , except the wheel will about an inch away, but you will hardly feel it.

You will tend to get a better grip on the handle bar as its a bit more towards you. All this is based on the original angle setting of the handle bar, you only move it 1" up.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:07 AM

Fasto,
I'm pretty sure the handlebar riser doesn't extend on an angle parallel to the fork angle. I'll check tomorrow and be back with an apology or a na na na na na nah!

V-Zee
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 02:17 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerstehenZee View Post
Fasto,
I'm pretty sure the handlebar riser doesn't extend on an angle parallel to the fork angle. I'll check tomorrow and be back with an apology or a na na na na na nah!

V-Zee

The speedy Bar Raiser moves along the original angle and does not alter the original setting.

Stand to be correct if wrong.

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchieffallo View Post
I recently raised the front of my stock seat by raising the front, underseat attachment point. Although I haven't been on any long rides since, seating position feels much more comfortable.

Raised by how much, and how? This sounds like a brilliant idea! Any pics would, of course, also be helpful.

Thanks!

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Hey Ascender -- Although I did it a little differently, I "stole" the idea from this link

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...+modifications

I used what was readily available at home. I cut two pieces (for rigidity) of fairly thin stainless steel for the new base. I drilled the required holes. I purchased longer 10mm bolts (about 1 1/4"). I used several washers under the new plate to raise the seat. I used a few washers above the plate to allow the seat "hook" to fit. I'd say I raised the front about 1/2". Just by adding/removing washers, you can adjust to your liking.

Hope it works for you.

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-09-2010, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchieffallo View Post
Hey Ascender -- Although I did it a little differently, I "stole" the idea from this link

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...+modifications

I used what was readily available at home. I cut two pieces (for rigidity) of fairly thin stainless steel for the new base. I drilled the required holes. I purchased longer 10mm bolts (about 1 1/4"). I used several washers under the new plate to raise the seat. I used a few washers above the plate to allow the seat "hook" to fit. I'd say I raised the front about 1/2". Just by adding/removing washers, you can adjust to your liking.

Hope it works for you.
I like it. A lot. Thanks!

Mark Hirschhorn
Durham NC
09 Versys "Blue Belle' - the aerodynamic blue color...
Way too much of Speedy's stuff...

CalSci windscreen / Emgo MkII mirrors / 43T rear / EB 12v outlet
Givi E52 top case / V35 side cases / Vista Cruise
Oxford Hothands / Cramp Buster
Powermadd handguards / mirror extenders

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 07:03 AM
djg

Well, I got the tall Baldwin seat, and went with Rox anti vibe risers, but only for vibration control plus I got them cheap here on the forum. The stock and current bar positions are fine with me. I am 6'3" with long arms.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:

I have the Rox 2" risers (adjusted about 1" up and 1" back); noticed no difference as to before/after in steering feel.
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 06:54 PM

Same here.. no difference is steering feel/handling at the various positions I tried with the Rox risers. I ended up leaving them just slightly up from straight back. Would I be just as happy with Speedy's 1" risers for $30 less? Perhaps. But now I have the option of adding an aluminum fatbar, too.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Went ahead and ordered the Speedy Risers. Installed in less than 5 minutes. Feels much more comfortable now. Thanks to all for the feedback

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 04:11 AM

Motorradtechnik new riser for 7/8 inch and 1 inch handlebars.
http://www.mv-motorrad.de/lshop,show...254301181,.htm

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode