About to pull the trigger - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage
About to pull the trigger

Hi all,

As you can see I am a new member. I have negotiated what I feel is a good price for a 2015 650 ABS LT ($7500) new out the door. I have a couple of questions before I seal the deal tomorrow or Saturday.

First, is that a good price, new (0.3 miles). I will want this bike to do about 70/20 pavement. Having said that, what tires should be mounted on the bike before I take possession.

Second, what are the known issues of the 2015 bike? and if there are any issues with ECU programming what version do I want on the bike before I take delivery>

Third, I am short. 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Will the ergonomics suite me? If not, what should I do. Lowering links? peg relocators? Bar risers?

I require heated grips and I use a heated vest. What is the excess OEM stator output if any and do I need to change the regulator to a Mosfet unit?

Lastly, I have read a LOT of positive things about this bike. Enlighten me, what are the things you like least about this bike?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ Charlie View Post
Hi all,

As you can see I am a new member. I have negotiated what I feel is a good price for a 2015 650 ABS LT ($7500) new out the door. I have a couple of questions before I seal the deal tomorrow or Saturday.

First, is that a good price, new (0.3 miles). I will want this bike to do about 70/20 pavement. Having said that, what tires should be mounted on the bike before I take possession.

Second, what are the known issues of the 2015 bike? and if there are any issues with ECU programming what version do I want on the bike before I take delivery>

Third, I am short. 5'8" with a 30" inseam. Will the ergonomics suite me? If not, what should I do. Lowering links? peg relocators? Bar risers?

I require heated grips and I use a heated vest. What is the excess OEM stator output if any and do I need to change the regulator to a Mosfet unit?

Lastly, I have read a LOT of positive things about this bike. Enlighten me, what are the things you like least about this bike?

Thanks in advance
I would leave the stock tires on it. They aren't that great in the dirt, but if you avoid mud and sand, and stay on dirt roads, they should do fine.

I have a new 2015 and I have no issues with the way the bike performs completely stock.

The pegs should suit you just fine, you might want to consider lowering links.

I installed oxford heated grips and I am extremely satisfied with the way they perform. I would not worry about the charging system, many others have used heated clothing and grips without issue. I might be wary of using heated grips, high beams and heated clothing continuously for long periods of time. For me, this is an unlikely scenario.

The only thing I dislike is that there is no provision for a factory center stand. Hepco Becker and SW Motech both make aftermarket ones, though. I have a Hepco Becker stand on order.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-27-2016, 11:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks in advance
It's a very good price if you consider it is lower than the MSRP and includes dealer and shipping charges which are not part of the MSRP

You have more than enough power for a heated jacket liner and heated grips. Suggest avoiding the Kawasaki brand heated grips and going aftermarket which will be better and cheaper

You might want to consider Speedy's lowering kit that will lower the bike an inch. I would ride it first to see.

Versys is a great "all rounder". Arguably the best "all rounder in it's size/price range. A bike you can commute comfortably on and is agile in city traffic, a fun sport riding bike for weekend rides on B roads, and a bike you can do light touring on in relative comfort. What it is not though, IMO, is an off road bike, at least the way it comes from the factory. And why would you want to convert a new bike to do something it was not originally designed to? The muffler is mounted under the engine where it can get easily knocked off, the rims are the wrong size to take off road tires and fragile alloy, not strong and spoked. The front tire is a wide 17" ideal for pavement but not a dirt oriented narrow 21". I think you want something like a KTM 690 for 30/70 off road riding.

I find the pit spool stand easier to use than a kickstand for working on the bike as the bike is more secure on it.
jnor likes this.

Last edited by twowheels; 04-27-2016 at 11:39 PM.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
It's a very good price if you consider it is lower than the MSRP and includes dealer and shipping charges which are not part of the MSRP

You have more than enough power for a heated jacket liner and heated grips. Suggest avoiding the Kawasaki brand heated grips and going aftermarket which will be better and cheaper

You might want to consider Speedy's lowering kit that will lower the bike an inch. I would ride it first to see.

Versys is a great "all rounder". Arguably the best "all rounder in it's size/price range. A bike you can commute comfortably on and is agile in city traffic, a fun sport riding bike for weekend rides on B roads, and a bike you can do light touring on in relative comfort. What it is not though, IMO, is an off road bike, at least the way it comes from the factory. And why would you want to convert a new bike to do something it was not originally designed to? The muffler is mounted under the engine where it can get easily knocked off, the rims are the wrong size to take off road tires and fragile alloy, not strong and spoked. The front tire is a wide 17" ideal for pavement but not a dirt oriented narrow 21". I think you want something like a KTM 690 for 30/70 off road riding.

I find the pit spool stand easier to use than a kickstand for working on the bike as the bike is more secure on it.

'15 DL1000
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks all, I knew going in that the bike was not a good off tarmac bike but I still will want to do some connector roads with it and these are gravel around here.

Good advice on the heated grips, aftermarket it is. I generally don't make a habit of riding under 40F (I'm a cold weather woosey these days) but when I need heat I use grips and a vest.

As for lowering, I can get the balls of my feet on the ground without a lowering link but I think I will opt for the lowering link as most of my drops have been static drops from stopping above a hole and such. So the closer to the ground I am the better. I may opt for a different seat as well as time goes on.

I am going at 1pm today and try to finish putting this deal together. My wife is quick to point out that this will be my 23rd bike since we've been married. What can I say? I'm a total bike whore.

Thanks for the quick advice.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 08:40 AM

Garage
I have AME heated grips they work great and no big ugly controller on the handlebars. They also have individual controls and auto turn off so no flat battery.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I will want this bike to do about 70/20 pavement.
and what do you want the bike to do for the extra 10% ??

sorry, just had to ...
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 11:59 AM

Garage
Metzler Tourence Next, Pirelli Scorpion, and I think Avon all make adv. tires for the Versys. The entire catalogue of sport and sport touring tires fit it.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 12:00 PM

Garage
120/70-17 front & 160/60-17 rear
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pecko View Post
and what do you want the bike to do for the extra 10% ??

sorry, just had to ...

I think the other 10% of the time I will put in the living room, get a glass and some good scotch and just stare at it.
Oldandslow and Alpha One Nine like this.
post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Metzler Tourence Next, Pirelli Scorpion, and I think Avon all make adv. tires for the Versys. The entire catalogue of sport and sport touring tires fit it.
Thanks, I bought the Versys today. I pick it up tomorrow. I will likely go with Kendas of some sort as they are cheap and last a decent amount of time. For now the stockers will work until my wife isn't around....LOL.
post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
120/70-17 front & 160/60-17 rear
Thanks.
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Next question, what brand aftermarket center stand should I be looking at and also what aftermarket windscreen. I found the stock windscreen fairly inadequate during my test drive. It's ok around town but highway speeds buffet the crap out of my short butt.
post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Thanks, I bought the Versys today. I pick it up tomorrow. I will likely go with Kendas of some sort as they are cheap and last a decent amount of time. For now the stockers will work until my wife isn't around....LOL.
Don't worry my stock rear tire on my 2015 only lasted 2700 miles before cord started to show. You will have your new tires before you know it.
Congrats on ththe bike!
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
Don't worry my stock rear tire on my 2015 only lasted 2700 miles before cord started to show. You will have your new tires before you know it.
Congrats on ththe bike!
Thank you. I got the last 2015 ABS/LT my local dealer had. I looked it over fairly well during the test ride. I noticed the right and left luggage rattled a bit. I really couldn't determine a viable fix since the rear of the boxes where they slide in seem to be the source of the rattle.

I will have to pursue that rather quick or my OCD self will go bonkers until I do.
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:04 PM

Garage
Congrats on your new bike! I think you'll be pleased.

I'd recommend giving it a bit before trying too hard to lower it - I've only an inch or so on you (5'9" & 31" inseam) and I've found it very manageable stock.

rr
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-28-2016, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentrancher View Post
Congrats on your new bike! I think you'll be pleased.

I'd recommend giving it a bit before trying too hard to lower it - I've only an inch or so on you (5'9" & 31" inseam) and I've found it very manageable stock.

rr
Agreed, but I will have to think about it. Right now I am on the balls of my feet. I think I will give the suspension time wear in a bit first. Good advice, thanks.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:27 AM

2014 Versys. 5' 7". 29" inseam. One foot flat or toes down on both sides. No problem either way. Just don't let it tip too far
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I got the last 2015 ABS/LT my local dealer had. I looked it over fairly well during the test ride. I noticed the right and left luggage rattled a bit. I really couldn't determine a viable fix since the rear of the boxes where they slide in seem to be the source of the rattle.

I will have to pursue that rather quick or my OCD self will go bonkers until I do.
Mine do not rattle. Does it have the rubber pads on the frame?
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-29-2016, 08:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldandslow View Post
2014 Versys. 5' 7". 29" inseam. One foot flat or toes down on both sides. No problem either way. Just don't let it tip too far
I have a 30" inseam with robust (read -fat) thighs and I have difficulty doing that. I know on other new bikes I have purchased that once the suspension was worn in the entire bike sat lower. I am hoping that is the case with this one or Speedy, here I comr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turn8a View Post
Mine do not rattle. Does it have the rubber pads on the frame?
Yes, the rubber wedges are in place. The source of the rattle seems to be where the back portion of the boxes slide in. Of course, If I load some camping equipment and clothing and ride that way the noise should go away from weight. Wow! I think I just solved the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode