Replacing stock exhaust - is it worth it? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Replacing stock exhaust - is it worth it?

Please excuse me if this is a dumb or even oxymoronic post. I'm a little new to the whole business of improving/installing things.

What I want:
========
Noticeable increase in acceleration (not necessarily higher top speeds)

What I don't want
===========
I don't it to be loud. I actually like the stock sound a lot.

What I've already done
===============
Replaced stock front sprocket to a 14 tooth. It rocks! Just curious if it could rock even more with another pipe.

Any ideas? Is it as simple as "if you don't want it loud you might as well keep the stock pipe"? i.e. Is the loudness proportional to the performance increase?
Or is it maybe so little of an increase in performance anyways, that I might as well forget it?

If the answer is "hell yes, even a quiet aftermarket exhaust will make a big difference", then the followup question would be these "power commanders" I hear about. Is that needed as well?
I could see myself spending maybe $500 or so on this if you guys think it will be noticeable difference.

Any help/opnions appreciated.

Thanks!

// Martin - aka torque-addict

Last edited by Martin Lindhe; 08-13-2010 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:07 PM

If you're looking for "seat of the pants" increase, you're going to be disappointed.
You're not going to get anything close to the difference of the sprocket change that you did. The old saying goes something like "How much hp do you want? Well, how much do you have to spend?!" You could get as much as 100hp out of the lil V motor with a LOT of modification. However, you'd be a heckuva lot better off in the long run trading it in on a Z1000.

But, that's just my opinion. As for the exhaust and tuner, a lot of people do it and swear by it. Personally, I believe they swear by it because it has increased their level of "fun." Whether that fun was increased because of the knowledge that they farkled their nice new equipment or from perceived increase in power (read that as "seat of the pants" feel, not as just their fantasy) is debateable. To get a good "seat of the pants" increase you need something like 10-12% hp/torque increase. That's about 6-7hp. It's on the edge of reasonable to get 6hp from headers, slip-on, air filter, and FI tuner. That equates to about $800. Then a dyno tune will fine tune it all for about another $200. So you're looking at about $1000 for 6-7hp at most.You can get 15-20hp with new cams, ported head, bored out throttle body, milled cylinder deck (or possibly head), plus the $1000 worth of stuff above. All that will get you around 80-85hp and it will probably cost you $2000+. At this point, that Z1000 starts to look awful good! Then throw into the mix at the same price point as the Z1000, you can get an Aprilia Dorsoduro or Ducati 796 (hypermotard or monster) that are better bikes all around. At least until they break and you have to press that customer service button anyway!

Having said all that, it's just my "opinion" and we all know those are just like sphincters! You have already broken the mold here and gone a different direction than most folks. Bottom line is, do what makes ya happy and what is fun!

Edit: I forgot to say I bought a slip-on and LOVE it. But, I don't love it because it gave 5hp more (coz it didn't). I love it coz it changed the character of the bike and it no longer sounds like my wifes' Singer. I may install headers...and probably a tuner as well, but for different reasons than you. I may put the headers on just to say I did. I probably will install a tuner to get rid of the lean stumble at minimal throttle settings below 3500rpm.

Last edited by jcstratt; 08-13-2010 at 09:13 PM.
post #3 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 09:48 PM

Yeah, x2.

You're not gonna feel it with the butt-dyno. I love mine and it sounds great, but I bought it more for sound than any performance upgrade I got. Mid range does seem a little more punchy though. I get a slight burble just off decel when you start to throttle up. It's kind a cool actually.

All it all it makes the bike more fun to ride. But doesn't do much to lift the front wheel. At least I don't think so.

The stock exhaust system is really nicely designed, and of quality materials. The problem is the bike sounds like a lawnmower.

To me, an exhaust system on a bike is like wheels on a car or truck. All mine are aftermarket custom. It's just a way of life.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

post #4 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 10:09 PM

Martin,

The biggest difference will be the 20+ pound weight savings. If you just want to give it a try give me a buzz in the PM. I have something you can give a try.

Bob

Japanese scientists have created a camera with such a fast shutter speed they now can photograph a woman with her mouth shut.
post #5 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Wow - thank you all for great input and info. It's all pointing towards keeping the stock exhaust for me then and save the $$. I dont mind at all the sound of the stock pipe. I actually quite like it.

I greatly appreciate the detailed explanations.

Jcstratt - I've tried the Z1000, and as much as I liked the power, I absolutely disliked how it handled and felt compared to the V. I kinda felt like I was riding a little minibike. The only thing that beats the V in my book so far is the Ducati Multistrada 1200 (great power - great comfort/handling), but thats quite out of my price range... heheh.

Bicyclebob - PM sent
tm7583 likes this.
post #6 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:07 AM

to be honest with the full leo vince exhaust with header and slip on you will get 8-10hp depending on how you tune it and what airbox mods you make. i got a 7hp increase at the wheel with certain mods... without getting a header if you were to do all of my mods you may get up to 12hp increase wich will be noticable.
post #7 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 12:36 AM

Ever try a Triumph Street Triple, Martin? The 675cc one.
post #8 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

No, I have never tried anything from Triumph (yet)...
post #9 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 01:41 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstratt View Post
Ever try a Triumph Street Triple, Martin? The 675cc one.
+1 on the Street Triple. If practicality hadn't been a purchase factor, I'd probably be riding one right now. Dynamics-wise, it's everything I love about the Versys, only more so. Although the seat is even worse.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #10 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 03:27 AM

A lot of squids around hear swear that their bikes became much faster after they put Akrapović or Arrow or some exhaust.
And my mechanic just smirks and tell them it's the sound.

Talking of Triumphs, there is a new coming out soon - a 3 cylinder, 800ish cc adventure bike. Something in the BMW 800GS and KTM 990Adv range. A lot of people are holding their breaths.

Cheers.
post #11 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 05:52 AM

replacing the OEM exhaust is more about asthetics. you may get a very slight improvement in performance, several have suggested the low revs are less fussy and slightly quicker pick up. but mostly its about changing the sound of the bike for its OEM sewing machine to something more bike like. of course if you prefer you could become a semi Harley wannabe and go with straight pipes. but after you've seen the South park episode possibly not
post #12 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 09:51 AM

I thought the V was surprisingly quiet with straight pipes. It's loud sure, but nothing like an XR650 or XT600 with an open ended Supertrapp and no where close to an HD with short shots.

The Street Triple will inspire some serious hooliganism for sure. It may even inspire some jail time. Don't get me wrong. I love how the V rides and handles, but it's near nutless. I ride mine pretty much pinned wherever I go.

Last edited by jcstratt; 08-14-2010 at 09:55 AM.
post #13 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 11:20 AM

For what you're looking for, and in that budget, I'd consider a quick-turn throttle. It won't give you any more power, of course, but it will make the power the bike does have more immediately available, and that can often have surprisingly pleasing results.
post #14 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 09:50 PM

If intend is for a new can, a new air filter like, DNA,BMC or Pipercross will let the engine breathe better.

If I had the extra dough, would upgrade the suspension up first but that's me.

Benefits of a new can:
1. Power on the low and mid rpm range
2. Weight reduction
3. Looks
4, Sound

Good Luck

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #15 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 10:46 PM

I like the muffler Kawasaki put on the Versys. It was included in the price and it doesn't wake my neighbors when I leave for work early in the morning.

Don
"ride more, worry less"
2005 Suzuki GSXR1000 (slightly bent) - Track
2000 Honda VFR800 - Street
post #16 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hacktracker View Post
I like the muffler Kawasaki put on the Versys. It was included in the price and it doesn't wake my neighbours when I leave for work early in the morning.
+10....was included in the price.... I almost forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder and was always leaning on YoshiMura.

post #17 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 06:43 AM

I put a Scorpion on mine with no muffler , and the only complaints have been from fellow riders who say its too loud !
post #18 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
An aftermarket exhaust is kinda like an engagement ring.
It looks good on her
She sounds much sweeter
If you trade her in for a newer model it might fit that one also or you could sell it to one of your buddies.

Last edited by weljo2001; 08-29-2010 at 09:24 AM.
post #19 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan V View Post
A lot of squids around hear swear that their bikes became much faster after they put Akrapović or Arrow or some exhaust.
And my mechanic just smirks and tell them it's the sound. .....
Squids? I thought those were Navy folk!

Martin,
Just take mine (or Bob's) out and you'll see... I replaced mine because I got a sweet deal on the Two Brothers pipe ($150) and I wanted the knuckleheads around us to hear me...

I noticed a teensy bit more low end yank and a smidgen at the top, but nothing thats worth a new-ish 500 dollar pipe.

+7 for weight savings!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dai5 View Post
I put a Scorpion on mine with no muffler , and the only complaints have been from fellow riders who say its too loud !
Funny.... nobody on the "Mt. Baker ride" wanted to ride behind and right of me! *nudges Martin*

Last edited by Jack425; 08-29-2010 at 09:38 AM.
post #20 of 62 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:42 AM

Talking about engagement ring...

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/20...cycle-jewelry/

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode