Would a DC outlet from a Vulcan fit in a Versys? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2016, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Would a DC outlet from a Vulcan fit in a Versys?

I refuse to pay $80+ and don't trust the <$5 chinese ones on ebay. I noticed the OEM Vulcan DC adapter is only $35. It looks the same as the Versys one, does anyone know if it would work?

09 15 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero Voyager 12 Volt DC Power Outlet | eBay

There's also one that comes with a relay for $3 more
http://www.ebay.com/itm/KAWASAKI-201...9WVgux&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Chappssss; 03-13-2016 at 10:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 08:33 AM

There's nothing particularly complicated about a 12V outlet, cheap or expensive. Any waterproof 12V cigarette adapter from anywhere, even WalMart, will be fine for you. Lots of people use ones from WestMarine.

Maybe you're trying to plug directly into a harness versus splicing into an existing 12v line, if that's your question I can't help you much but that's not how I'd do it anyway---I'd save the harness for a different application.

Relay is only necessary if you're splicing into a line that can't provide the power you're looking for---but you're looking for a phone or camera, not a refrigerator, so you should be OK.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 10:54 AM

That is not the OEM one; that is just another chinese socket.

I have this one on my bike, it has survived 55,000kms:

Bikemaster Power Outlet Socket 151668 12V 15A Cigarette Lighter Power Supply | eBay

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Süsser Tod View Post
That is not the OEM one; that is just another chinese socket.

I have this one on my bike, it has survived 55,000kms:

Bikemaster Power Outlet Socket 151668 12V 15A Cigarette Lighter Power Supply | eBay
Yea I know that isn't the OEM one, I was just using it as an example because it had a better picture of it by itself
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdventureSeeker View Post
There's nothing particularly complicated about a 12V outlet, cheap or expensive. Any waterproof 12V cigarette adapter from anywhere, even WalMart, will be fine for you. Lots of people use ones from WestMarine.

Maybe you're trying to plug directly into a harness versus splicing into an existing 12v line, if that's your question I can't help you much but that's not how I'd do it anyway---I'd save the harness for a different application.

Relay is only necessary if you're splicing into a line that can't provide the power you're looking for---but you're looking for a phone or camera, not a refrigerator, so you should be OK.
The relay makes it so you don't have to wire it directly to the battery. This video gives a good overview of hooking it up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETZsq3AILr4
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2016, 01:19 PM

well, you'd be fine to splice it into any 12v power source that was ignition-on either way, relay is for if you're needing to manage heavier draw and/or don't want it permanently energized.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-16-2016, 09:02 AM

I bought the Vulcan version for my 2014 Versys, just a bit of fiddling on placement behind the fairing panel. If you are handy at making brackets and things, it is easy. Plugs right in. Doesn't sit up as high but works fine.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-05-2016, 08:34 PM

Garage
On my bike(s) I've always just setup a fused harness (Running straight off the battery) and then something(a cigarette adaptor,etc) that connects to that harness. $15 total after shipping and it's fused! I've always used battery tender brand just because I'm familiar with it and seems to be of good quality.

Harness
Amazon.com: Battery Tender 081-0069-6 Ring Terminal Harness with Black Fused 2-Pin Quick Disconnect Plug: Automotive

Cigaratte lighter adaptor
http://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tender...ilpage_o08_s01
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-06-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappssss View Post
I refuse to pay $80+ and don't trust the <$5 chinese ones on ebay. I noticed the OEM Vulcan DC adapter is only $35. It looks the same as the Versys one, does anyone know if it would work?

09 15 Kawasaki Vulcan Vaquero Voyager 12 Volt DC Power Outlet | eBay

There's also one that comes with a relay for $3 more
Kawasaki 2015 2016 Vulcan s DC Power Outlet and Relay Kit 99994 0541 99994 0510 | eBay

On the power outlet that comes with the relay - the relay would definitely work - it is the same part number from OMRON. The outlet looks the same, but in the picture with the relay, it looks like there is something attached to the rear. As long as this is easily removed, the socket should work.

It looks like the wiring will plug right into your existing harness (on a '15). I was able to do the install without removing the fairing. Just remove the black plastic cover under the windshield (two screws and two pushpins). Install the relay - you will see the bracket and connectors on the left side (when viewing from the front facing the rear of the bike). You can remove the existing plug for the accessory connector with a short Philips screwdriver. Install the power socket and plug it into the harness. The connectors are taped to the stock harness. It is easy.

Be aware that the bars come very close to the socket when you make a sharp right hand turn. Make sure whatever you plug in has clearance. I ended up using a right angle USB connector to clear the bars.

Last edited by Green Streak; 05-06-2016 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Add section to wire relay in first.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode