Tire Replacement - Mixed Brands? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tire Replacement - Mixed Brands?

I have 900 miles on my Versys. My rear tire went flat while riding down the Interstate at about 70 mph. By the time slowed down and pulled off the Interstate the tire was completely flat, and I could smell burning rubber. There is a hole in the center of the tread, with an imprint of a roofing nail head around it. Questions - 1) Should I replace the rear tire with something better. 2) If so, do I need to be concerned with how the bike will handle with mixed brands, with the orignal front tire, and an upgraded new rear tire?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 04:24 PM

I think you'll get a wide range of opinions on this question. I'll go ahead and get my shot in and say that mixing brands is generally okay.

1. Does it make some difference in handling? Probably.
2. Is the difference enough to affect the normal driver? Probably not.
3. Is the difference always bad or could mixing sometimes be better than matched? Sometimes better, but hard to predict.
4. Is mixing old and new bad within the same brand? No. It's very common to do because rear tires wear out quicker than fronts.
5. Does DragonBreath ever voice opinions with little or no facts to back them up? Definitely.

There you go. That's my 2-cents. For those of you scoring at home, the 2/5 or 0.4-cents per list item.

Chris in Oneonta, NY
08 Versys that replaced my beloved 07 KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

>>>> states on a bike <<<<
>>>> East Coast done <<<<
>>>>> Westward HO! <<<<<
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2008, 09:24 PM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
My 2 Cents. I always mix My tires. On purpose. I always run Metzler M3 on the front and Michelins sport on the rear. In 2006 I went through 14 tires in 12 months.(2 bikes) 2 from nails. But I found out what works for us. I get 12000 miles out of the metzlers every time and they never cup. Get 6000 out of the Michelins. My rule for tires, Don't put front tires on your bike that grip too much better than the rears unless you are VERY experienced. For the same reason race cars have bigger tires on the rear than the front. Get too much grip on the front and your butt will pass yourself before you know what happened.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 AM Thread Starter

Golfmuch,

Thanks for the tire info!

I see from your profile that your V has the Spencer seat mod. I am looking to solve my seat problem for longer rides (sliding foreward & lack of thigh support). How do you like your Spencer seat mod? How much did it cost for shipping both ways? Did it solve the sliding forward and lack of thigh support issues on long rides?

Dave
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-08-2008, 09:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to golfmuch
Spencer seat mod helped a little. I tore into it a couple weeks ago and took the hump out, shaved it down at a 45 angle and rounded the rear piece. Then I shimed the front slot 7/16 inch to raise it. All that helped a little. did the trick on the sliding forward. Now my total combo ia Underarmor heat wear(academy sports) Beads from Beadrider and I can ride 8 hours in Alabama heat. Did so last weekend, rode 360 miles no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode