Another hp question - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 06:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another hp question

Hi guys, I'm new here but not new to bikes at all and currently have a small herd of yam. rd's and rz's. I'm a big guy and test rode a used versys and i'm seriously consider buying one. I see most bikes as a blank canvas but would like to think i would't mess with a one of these...too much. My question is for the guys who have dyno'd their bikes. Could I get 10 more hp out of a versys with a pipe,commander and maybe ninja cams and compression raise to equal the ninja and naked bike? Please don't tell me I'll miss low end ect. I ride 2 strokes-no low end. I've heard cranks are weak link-anyone such as Falicon helping out with that? What I think I'd be happy with is a solid 70rwhp. I know many will say by a ninja or the like. I've been thru all the big bores and want to make a back rd. burner,harley pounder!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:11 PM
djg

Can't answer your question, but I still miss my first bike, a '75 RD350.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 07:31 PM

for what you're willing to spend/go thru, might as well go turbo....

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Ok then-just for the record-who turbo's them. 70 rwhp. shouldn't be too tuff. and oh yeah, this thing will NEVER run with my 421cub/rz350! I don't want to get beat by a decent sv 650 though!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 10:14 PM

Unless you're drag racing, getting beat is not about the motor.

Not long ago I was on a ride and ended up waiting at the end of the road on an RC51, Superhawk, Gixxer 750, and a ZX-10R.

I tend to ride "the pace", keeping my speed around 70-80mph....straights and turns (except the REALLY tight ones). The big power bikes tend to be more "point and shoot". Teeter totter through the turns then light the fuse on the big engine.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-01-2010, 11:52 PM

My stock Versys eat Harleys (and a few others) in the twisties and most sweepers every weekend.

I'm with Trackrider it's not just the engine that makes this bike a great ride.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitewl View Post
I've been thru all the big bores and want to make a back rd. burner,harley pounder!
I'm with Boricua on this. If you want a back road harley pounder all you need is a Ninja 250. Even that may be overkill for the job...

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 02:38 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:16 AM

I'm generally right behind more power for fun - check out v2sam's posts, but its more satisfying beating stuff on standard machinery

But even with a Er6/pc/full arrow/gsxrk6 forks/brakes, SC tyres on 180 wheel general weight loss, rearsets. quickshifter, he still only marginally pulled away me on the straights on my V. (vid somewhere) So for whatver the Er's have extra plus the mods, must be in the region of 70hp? its an expensive route that wont get you around the canyon much/if at all faster.

Later he upped to 85hp which is a serios gain http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...ead.php?t=5862 but he was on wets so never got a chance to compare directly on track.

for canyons, get some decent tyres, BT090's are supeerb, hold your breath and go for it would be my advice, as the bike is more than capable.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 AM

0-60 in 3.6 seconds and the 1/4 mile around 12 seconds. Do you need anything faster?
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 133bhp View Post
for canyons, get some decent tyres, BT090's are supeerb, hold your breath and go for it would be my advice, as the bike is more than capable.
I usually find that I agree with Tony, but can't say I will recommend holding your breath. If you start getting low on oxygen, your brain doesn't process the information as well and you are likely to make a mistake. So, yes on the sticky tires, stock bike and go for it, but don't forget to breath...

Gustavo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
I usually find that I agree with Tony, but can't say I will recommend holding your breath. If you start getting low on oxygen, your brain doesn't process the information as well and you are likely to make a mistake. So, yes on the sticky tires, stock bike and go for it, but don't forget to breath...

Gustavo

figure of speech, but could have been worse, was going to suggest closing your eye's too Although i have come back in from a track before now unable to swallow my mouths been so dry!

but 3.6 on a V? dont beleive it, thats 120hp'ish territory on road gearing. MY K6 thou is hovering around 3 sec. More like 5 sec I suspect.
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
All jokes aside on breathing, somtimes find myself when riding twistys hard that have been holding breathing or breathing very shallow due to concentrating, need to mentally speak to myself to breath an relax.
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eparker202 View Post
0-60 in 3.6 seconds and the 1/4 mile around 12 seconds. Do you need anything faster?

It's not about NEED my friend....

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
figure of speech, but could have been worse, was going to suggest closing your eye's too Although i have come back in from a track before now unable to swallow my mouths been so dry!
Yes, I know you were joking, but you know that this is a real problem. I have seen lots of guys come off a track session (20 minutes) and they are red and have a headache due to not breathing for most of the lap. Same on backroads with technical sections (and what technical means can be different, depending on skill level), some people just literally hold their breath for miles as they concentrate on the technical challenge ahead. I figured it was a good opportunity to remind people that they need to exhale once in a while...

Gustavo

post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustavo View Post
Yes, I know you were joking, but you know that this is a real problem. I have seen lots of guys come off a track session (20 minutes) and they are red and have a headache due to not breathing for most of the lap. Same on backroads with technical sections (and what technical means can be different, depending on skill level), some people just literally hold their breath for miles as they concentrate on the technical challenge ahead. I figured it was a good opportunity to remind people that they need to exhale once in a while...

Gustavo
Thats exactly right Gustavo, had not been out for a while on bike and was holding breath big time while I was pushing it, you actually have to tell your self to breath.
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Thats exactly right Gustavo, had not been out for a while on bike and was holding breath big time while I was pushing it, you actually have to tell your self to breath.
Sounds like the instructions for Scuba diving - keep breathing, esp. out.

The exhale is more important than the inhale

Although I have had Miss Jaffa (Burnt Orange 2007 Versys) for a while, I still have a lot to learn.

"The happiest people donít have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything."
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:58 PM

Holding your breath? Just inhale and scream yeeeeeehaaaa!

Warning: Screaming inside a full face helmet can cause hearing loss. Make sure you wear ear protection while you run the twisties at high speed.
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boricua View Post
Holding your breath? Just inhale and scream yeeeeeehaaaa!

Warning: Screaming inside a full face helmet can cause hearing loss. Make sure you wear ear protection while you run the twisties at high speed.

Hahaha!! Voice of experience??

I scream, yell, woo hoo & sing!!

What can I say, I love riding this bike!

post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 08:43 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:

but 3.6 on a V? dont beleive it, thats 120hp'ish territory on road gearing. MY K6 thou is hovering around 3 sec. More like 5 sec I suspect.
Closing your eyes does enable you to breathe, IF excessive wind pressure on your eyes triggers a reflex which prevents you from breathing in...

The 4.86 second 0-60 mph and 1/4 mile elapsed time (12.96 sec) and trap speed (99.15 mph) do not represent the Versys' true performance: "Although the clutch did not fade, launching the Versys during the 1/4 mile testing proved a challenge. If launch rpm were too low, the engine would bog, and if too high, would result in an instantaneous wheelie. Granted, drag racing was never intended to be one of this motorcycle's strong suits, but I do wish that the results of this testing could have been a better reflection of the parallel's twin performance."

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval...versystest.pdf

"The engine re-tuning (compared to Ninja 650R) results in 59.4 hp at 8400 rpm on the Area P-No Limits Dynojet dyno, down 5 ponies from the 650R's 65.7 hp at 8600 rpm. The Ninja also offers bigger torque numbers (45.5 to 42.0 ft-lbs), but it can't match the wonderfully flat and consistent curve of the Versys. Torque output from the retuned engine is almost identical from 3800 rpm all the way to 8100 rpm. It also crosses the 40 ft-lb. mark by 5800 rpm, while the peakier Ninja has to wait until almost 6500 revs."

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactur...est-71476.html

The Versys does have great usable and tractable power across the rev range. Just an exhaust upgrade with PCIII or V is good for over 5 horses more at the rear wheel: http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...highlight=dyno
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode