KQR Saddlebag Mod - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

KQR Saddlebag Mod

So...

I think that Kawasaki (Givi) did a fairly good job with the KQR bags - in my opinion, they look good on the bike, have ample storage space for the average rider and are easy to install and take off of the bike.

That being said, they did a poor job of attaching the internal straps that prevent the bags from opening too far. The internal straps were only held on with two little screws that barely penetrated the plastic by an eighth of an inch...

Both of mine have already failed. The right, when my daughter pulled on it and the left when it was (accidentally) allowed to open under its own weight. The right hand saddlebag opened past the point of no return (plastic tabs near the hinge) and I had to tap out the rod that holds the two clam shells together.

A quick solution:

Drill out the holes on the internal straps, drill holes through the cases, secure the straps with stainless hardware (and a couple of drops of blue threadlocker). Voila! Problem solved...

Has anybody else experience similar issues with their bags? It would have sucked if mine had failed while somewhere out on the road...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 08:50 PM

Garage
Are they waterproof?

My Versys Travels:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

That's a good question. I only have 1,500kms on mine so far.

I have ridden in the rain once so far and they did not leak, but time will tell.

Anybody else?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-20-2016, 09:15 PM

They would be if you used a touch rtv silicone during the install
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Bought my Versys Touring, 2nd hand with v35 panniers including same crappy issue.
Has not been fixed. only used the panniers about 4-5 times in the last 3 years. i know the issue and I work around it. they were never meant to hold weight but I know loading up the outside half will rip the poor straps out if you forget to hold onto them when opening.

I would put some silicone sealer under the bolt head then tight them up just to weather proof them more.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-21-2016, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

The bolts are such a tight fit that I can't see any water getting in.

Sealant is a good call nonetheless.

Can anybody speak to how waterproof these bags are? Has anybody experienced a leak via the seam?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy83 View Post
So...

I think that Kawasaki (Givi) did a fairly good job with the KQR bags - in my opinion, they look good on the bike, have ample storage space for the average rider and are easy to install and take off of the bike.

That being said, they did a poor job of attaching the internal straps that prevent the bags from opening too far. The internal straps were only held on with two little screws that barely penetrated the plastic by an eighth of an inch...

Both of mine have already failed. The right, when my daughter pulled on it and the left when it was (accidentally) allowed to open under its own weight. The right hand saddlebag opened past the point of no return (plastic tabs near the hinge) and I had to tap out the rod that holds the two clam shells together.

A quick solution:

Drill out the holes on the internal straps, drill holes through the cases, secure the straps with stainless hardware (and a couple of drops of blue threadlocker). Voila! Problem solved...

Has anybody else experience similar issues with their bags? It would have sucked if mine had failed while somewhere out on the road...
On my G35s I have the same issue.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 10:18 AM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
wow talk about an after thought huh?

nice fix id put some hot glue on the hole befor sticking the bolt in to water proof it (because that tinny gap could just let tons of gallons a second in lol

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-22-2016, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

All of this "potential leak" talk has convinced me to add a little Seal-all to the bolts. Good to go now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode