Just Out - LeoVince SBK Exhaust Installed (w/pics) - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just Out - LeoVince SBK Exhaust Installed (w/pics)

Saw this new can at MOTOGP in Laguan Seca last weekend and it fits the bike like nothing else out there. High quality as one would expect from the Italians. Stainless and carbon fiber, nice bark but not loud, nice and throaty. Just a hair more than the stocker. Less than half the weight, easy half hour install. I removed the stinger/insert just to see (race mode) and it not bad at idle but gets pretty raspy at higher revs. Too loud for my tastes. With the insert it's E-spec'd for Europe legal. With helmet at speed it's very mellow.

I rode this bike 800 miles last weekend, up to Monterey and back and had an absolute blast. It had 600 miles on it since December, so I put more miles on it in one trip than I had in 6 months. I love this bike. It is an absolute blast in the twisties. Rode all the country roads, just a little freeway. GPS said max 112, average 61.

These are in stock at Leovinceusa, but you have to call them as they are not on the US site, just the euro site: www.leovince.com.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD

Last edited by CJBROWN; 07-31-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:28 AM

Looks good, I like it.

Do you notice any difference in the power, less of a dip in the 4-6k rpm?
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:33 AM Thread Starter

Have not put any miles on it yet, just a few blocks up the street and around the block tonight. I'll try to get out over the weekend and report. Seems smoother though, revs a little easier. The ol' butt-dyno is influenced by sound you know.

Chris Brown
In SoCal

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:29 AM

looks good, but also looks like it blows right on the rear tire?
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 06:19 AM

If I ever put an exhaust on a Versys, this is by far the best choice. Do they make it in a full-system set up?

'I use my cigar smoke as idiot repellent'

Yeah, that’s a statistic sample size of 1, category “anecdotal evidence”, but there it is.

"You just got killed by a Daewoo Lanos motherfu#&er!!" -Red, from Pineapple Express.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:56 AM

Yep, the only aftermarket exhaust I would get.
How much did you pay for it if you don't mind me asking?

Any chance of an audio recording?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 08:24 AM

Looks great Chris, the sound as you describe it makes me get a little nostalgic for some aftermarket exhaust.....

-------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jake Sabre
2009 Kaw Versys
40 years riding, 2 years MX racing
20 bikes owned over time, 3 MC shops worked at
Couldn't live without 2 wheels and a motor
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter

There is a recording at www.leovince.com but it's not very good. The other thread we had going on this had comments about why they never let it idle. I've never been impressed with sound recordings for exhaust notes on vehicles over the internet. There are too many variables and they are never an exact representation of what you're going to hear in person.

There's another thread about how quiet the stock pipe is. Too quiet in fact. I didn't want anything too loud though, and some of the conventional cans are too loud. Plus I never liked the way they just stuck out the side of the bike. This one is mellow, and super tucked in, just like some of those moto-gp race bikes.

In my second and fourth pic you can see that the exhaust stream clears the rear tire well, but yeah, a couple of them appear to direct it at the tire. Anyway, it's a non-issue. The only thing I would say though, for a gravel machine the carbon fiber end cap might get beat up. The glass work is very nice though, it clears the tire by almost an inch, and it's under the swingarm. I suppose if a hugger can survive this exhaust end cap will too.

List price for these is $499. I don't think I would have been so excited about it at that price. They were handing out discount cards at the races so that put it a lot lower, plus $8 UPS and tax in CA of almost 10%. If you're out of state then no sales tax. For Europe or other countries you would go through the main leo vince site I posted above. For US visit www.leovinceusa.com for their contact info. I imagine they routinely discount them. Their coupon was for any product good through August 31. Since they didn't/couldn't bring product to the vendor showcase at the races, they wanted to get buyers to jump on it this last week after they got home.

Installation notes...
You have to remove the bolts for the right footpeg and rear brake MC carrier. No biggie, 3 bolts so you can lift it enough to get the long mounting bolt out for the stock muffler. The stocker is a tight fit getting it off the head pipe, it does hit the tire before it comes off. I just kept pulling down and back and it popped off, there's enough give in the headers to get it off without messing with the back tire. The new installation is cake, I used blue locktite on the mounting bolts as the nuts weren't nylocks.

BTW, I don't know if they have head pipes for a full system or not, you would have to contact them directly. I know a single header for a dirtbike single is like a grand. It could get a pretty expensive for the bit of performance gain you might get. The stock headers aren't too bad at all.

Chris Brown
In SoCal

Last edited by CJBROWN; 08-05-2010 at 06:46 PM.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 09:58 AM

Hmmm...........kinda ugly at first glance.....but sorta grows on me. The squared off design I think would go better with the 2010 models as opposed to 07 - 09 IMHO. Although gotta give em' credit for thinking outside the *ahem* the box.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even if nobody is watching.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:47 AM

Looks great CB — but that sticker has to go...

~~ Live Like You're Dying ~~
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post

No way.
If you remove stickers from aftermarket exhausts then you just have an insanely overpriced aluminum tubing.

Cheers for the report CJBROWN.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I just kept pulling down and back and it popped off, there's enough give in the headers to get it off without messing with the back tire.
There's no need to mess with the rear wheel at all. And you don't have to fight with it either. Simply loosen (not remove, just loosen) the 2 nuts on each header. You don't need to remove antyhing to get to them as they are readily accessable. They are not on very tight either.

Looks good! Glad you enjoy it, The more I look at the paint job, the more I like it. Hmmmm, wonder what that would look like with satin silver in place of the satin parts of black and leave the gloss black as it is.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardware View Post
Agree!
post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=Ivan V;99849]No way.
If you remove stickers from aftermarket exhausts then you just have an insanely overpriced aluminum tubing.
[QUOTE]

That's what I'm talkin' about, uh huh.

I don't know why these things are so expensive. Well, I guess I do. I've seen jigs made up to fabricate exhuast systems. A lot of engineering, tooling, mock-ups, testing, and then setting up to produce copies, all for a very limited number of prospective buyers. And you have approvals to obtain, distribution, advertising....and there has to be some profit. Oh well.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
A lot of profit
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:26 PM

This thing have a cat in it? Looks like it's large enough. I'd love a slightly more aggressive exhaust note (a power bump never hurts, either), but am not so excited about increasing the amount of pollutants my bike spews out. Yeah, I'm a bit of an enviro-weenie, although I usually call myself a conservationist. Sounds less left-wing wacko.

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 10:55 AM

I've been waiting for this to come out. I will have to put it on my list of parts to buy, though it probably isn't going to be the top of the list. Looks great IMHO!
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

I really like the way it tucks up under the bike, but I'm not sure about the square shape. Maybe if I saw it in person.

I tried to find the sound clip on the website, but I can't seem to. Anybody have a direct link or even better, a youtube link of theirs??

post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

Well, the shape isn't exactly square. Many of the motogp race bikes are sporting exhaust and under-fairings with this type of profile. It fits the bike well. Here's a drawing from their euro site:

Here's the you-tube link for the sound byte:

Chris Brown
In SoCal
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-02-2010, 07:22 PM

I like it. Looks good, sounds good. The Versys twin doesn't usually sound very nice with a free flowing pipe (to my ears anyway) but this one is smooth sounding without being too raspy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode