Riding Position - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Riding Position

I hope someone can help we with this. I have not ridden much in the last 20 years. My last all street bike was a Honda Shadow so more of a cruiser style bike. I am finding when riding for more that a few minutes, that both of my hands are going numb. Ive tried relieving any grip I may have on the bars but this does not seem to help. Ive also added the grip buddies thinking it was the vibration. Its particularly bad on my throttle hand. I noticed tonight that I do tend to push the bars when Im riding placing pressure on my palms thereby cutting off circulation to my hands. I think this is what is causing my problem and my hands going numb. Is it my riding position? Should I adjust the rake of the bars back to try and get myself to sit more upright? Im 511 and weigh 240 lbs if that is any consideration. I just love this bike with every ride I take and am looking forward to some longer rides if I can keep my hands from going numb. Thanks for any help!

09 Versys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 09:44 PM

its almost certainly the fact that you are gripping too tightly on the handlebar which is vibrating very strongly. im having the same problem but i cannot grip it less tightly or it would begin to throttle back. i found that if i just rest my palm on the trottle the numbness goes away...so what i will be doing is adding a cruise control for use on prolonged length of time at the same speed. And i will be adding the throttle buddy thingy.....http://throttlerocker.com/
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:00 PM

I had the same problem mainly on the throttle side. I put a throttle lock on and use it all the time..even on short rides and that seemed to have solved my problems.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:18 PM

do you wear gloves ?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackberry View Post
do you wear gloves ?
Generally I do not. Haven't noticed if this makes any difference but could try that.

09 Versys
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 PM

I've had my Versys for 3 days and tried 'raking' my bars back tonite. I feel like I'm reaching a little too forward. Anyway, we can't rake them back too much because there are clearance problems between the bar switch housings and the gas tank when at full left or right.
So I'm still stretching forward more than I'd like. Not sure if I need different bars, or perhaps a riser so I can tilt 'em back a bit more.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:19 AM

Ride faster.
You'll croutch at over 80 to get clear air, and upright at slower speeds. Sounds like 'death-grip', a common ailment for those getting back into it. Affects dirtbikers something horrible - they get armpump.

I'm 5-10, 175.

I was getting over 125 miles at a sitting on my last trip. My butt got more tired than my hands. I open them regularly and stretch my fingers. Easier to do with the left hand if you're trying to keep the throttle on. I did not find it too fatiguing though, it's something you get used to. BTW, I wear bike shorts with the padded crotch. Helps my butt bones. Still way more comfy than my KTM dirtbike.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 05:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Can say Green Versys from instuctors on track days that a lot of riders hold on to tight or use a death grip, The bike in motion will stay up on its own, we had to go around the circuit twice with minimal of grip, eg releasing your finger grip and also practice with just throttle hand into straights and corners. Practice riding with a ultra light grip, don't fight the bike.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 06:53 AM

you might want to try some of the rox risers with the rubber dampers.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:03 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to offcamber
I have the same problem riding my GS500 which has leans you farther forward than the V. I put on risers that brought the bars up and back about an inch. It did help but as other have said you have to may a conscious effort not to grip or lean to hard on the bars.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 07:29 AM

I have had the same problem and I am about the same size as you. I can usually get rid of the numbness by resting my hand on top of the grip and placing my fingers on top of the lever. A death grip, as mentioned above, is probably a lot of the problem. Vibrations will add to it, so try to relax your hands.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:06 AM

@ Green Versys: how are your wrists, hands, arms, and neck in general. Ever get tingling in fingers, especially the little finger of your right hand. When you are on a computer for a couple of hours, do your wrists get tired? If generally you are fine without any symptom of carpel tunnel and/or overuse of wrists in awkward positions (most of the people use a keyboard in the wrong position), then it is just because you are holding the handlebars too tight without gloves. Use good gloves and take it easy on the handlebars. If you are worried you will loose the bike, find a large empty aprking lot and practice riding it with one hand (either one). The bikes move on their own in a straightline even when you release both hands. I do not recommend attempting this though.

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Versys View Post
I hope someone can help we with this. I have not ridden much in the last 20 years. My last all street bike was a Honda Shadow so more of a cruiser style bike. I am finding when riding for more that a few minutes, that both of my hands are going numb. Ive tried relieving any grip I may have on the bars but this does not seem to help. Ive also added the grip buddies thinking it was the vibration. Its particularly bad on my throttle hand. I noticed tonight that I do tend to push the bars when Im riding placing pressure on my palms thereby cutting off circulation to my hands. I think this is what is causing my problem and my hands going numb. Is it my riding position? Should I adjust the rake of the bars back to try and get myself to sit more upright? Im 511 and weigh 240 lbs if that is any consideration. I just love this bike with every ride I take and am looking forward to some longer rides if I can keep my hands from going numb. Thanks for any help!

the bars are too high on these, depending tall you are? (I;m 5'11) . causing you to have to keep a light grip and take the weight of your whole arm. I rotated the bars back as far as possbible, levers down and has helped. although not perfect.

try aligning your levers with your natural wrist/fingers outstretched. typcially mean moving them down. Can get a taller seat which will change your arm postion too.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Can say Green Versys from instuctors on track days that a lot of riders hold on to tight or use a death grip, The bike in motion will stay up on its own, we had to go around the circuit twice with minimal of grip, eg releasing your finger grip and also practice with just throttle hand into straights and corners. Practice riding with a ultra light grip, don't fight the bike.
+1, this bike is a dream and definitely needs little input. A light grip is best and easy with practice. Maybe a riser. perhaps even different bars. If none of this helps, maybe some questions at the doc's office are in order. I would hope it's not any sort of physical condition.

V-Zee
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
A motorbike or push bike for that matter will continue on its own as long as there is forward momentum and into the turns it only takes a very slight pressure on bars to counter steer and you can also practice using the rest of your body. You can get into a very good rhythm the more you practice and can be a lot of fun and the Versys is great for that and thats why I call it a funvee. You said in your original post Green Versys that you push the bars, try when cornering dropping your elbow, if going left bend, drop left elbow.
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 01:47 PM

I have had the same problem. I have done the following:
1) Don't hold on too tightly.
2) Get a throttle rocker so you can just rest your hand on it a lot of the time.
3) Get a throttle assist device so you can release your grip a lot of the time.
4) Get gel gloves (Olympia makes them) to absorb some of the vibration.
5) My doctor told me that my wrists are bent when I sleep and that I should wear wrist braces when I sleep to keep them straight, thereby releiving stress on the nerves. That really helps when I do it. If I don't, I can notice it within a few days. The wrist braces are the type you can get at a pharmacy that have a sort of splint inside and have velcro attachments.
6) When my hands do go numb, I use the throttle assist and hang my arm straight down and they recover quickly (Both hands but don't let go of both grips at the same time.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 03:26 PM

Gloves are a HUGE help. Get some gloves and a Throttle Rocker or Crampbuster. Then you can can kind of flatten your hand out and rest it on top instead of gripping the whole time. Only in the open of course, not in sketchy conditions or traffic.

Sarcasm is a privilege.......not a right.

08 Versys....1st bike and love it!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

First, thanks for all the feedback! This morning I rotated the bars back as far as I could and still clear the farings. I then took a 50 mile ride with my Olympia Gel gloves. The bar attitude change did help in that I did not feel I was pushing on the bars as much. I did rest my hands quite a bit as others have recommended placing my fingers over the controls. I do work on a computer all day but no signs of carpal tunnel (Yet!). All of this did help but not perfect. I don't thing I have a death grip but perhaps a combination of all of these. I will continue to check my grip and see if this is the cause. Could just be my posture when riding. I think I may also need to sit upright more and not lean forward.

09 Versys
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 04:53 PM

Do check your posture on the computer too. You never know, the fatigue might be carrying over. Just like riding the bike first thing in the morning wouldn't be tiring but if you have been sitting on a chair for 8 hours and get on the bike again, the seat starts hurting in 10 minutes.

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 07-31-2010, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Versys View Post
Generally I do not. Haven't noticed if this makes any difference but could try that.
If you weren't wearing gloves then that wasn't it. But if you were they might be too tight. Being a little snug and then angling your wrist might be just enough to make your hands numb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode