Why spoked wheels - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Why spoked wheels

Been reading lots of ADV bike reviews (just for kicks, not thinking of getting something else) and it seems for an extra charge or when you buy a more off roadable model, you get spoked wheels. What advantage do they offer for people doing tougher off road rides? Can you still get a tubeless tire on spoked wheels. I can see myself plugging a puncture on a tubeless tire and getting it reinflated, but changing a tubed tire (unless it is on a bicycle) is beyond my pay grade.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 03:45 PM

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
you can put a tubeless in a spoked rim but the big reason is they can take a ding and get fixed and cast rims like to crack , also a tubeless tire doesnt have a bead that seals like a tubeless does
AdamG likes this.

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

Last edited by silviefox; 01-27-2016 at 03:47 PM.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 06:54 PM

To add to what Silviefox has said, it's A LOT cheaper to replace a spoke or two than an entire cast wheel should it, or they in the case of spokes, get damaged while thrashing around off the pavement. The wilderness can be terribly unforgiving.

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 07:26 PM

Garage
oh might i also add that it adds more low end weight making a better center of gravity

yes im a guy.

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 PM

Garage
Off road wheels are a lot stronger than cast wheels so the chances of getting damaged are a lot lower.

You can get tubeless off road spoked wheels. The higher end bikes have tubeless.

My Versys Travels:

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:56 AM

Garage
I think that spokes whell look "very good", might even go to "sexy" !

LOP
silviefox likes this.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 05:25 PM

Gotta agree with LOP. Don't know who owns this one, but I like it...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg versys with spoked rims.jpg (120.8 KB, 2654 views)
Jim Nazium likes this.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 07:23 PM

we have cast wheels on our bikes because they're cheaper to manufacture...if you can afford it spokes are the way to go...
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
Gotta agree with LOP. Don't know who owns this one, but I like it...
That is VERY nice!

Arion

"Plan? Plan! There ain't no plan."
Pig Killer, Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-28-2016, 09:50 PM

Garage
Cast wheels are super easy to keep clean. Spoked wheels are not. For road riding only, I think Cast is the way to go. Don't hit any atomic potholes, and no worries. Offroad is a different story, but taking the Versys into any real offroad sitiations is a poor choice in my opinion.

'09 Versys
'01 ZR7S
'79 Yamaha XS650
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 04:29 AM

Yeah, sportbikes have cast wheels because they are cheaper.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 06:32 AM

they are better for the road and every day use. they tend to be lighter also since a lot of the spoked wheels use steel rims for strength.

you can get aluminum rims for spoked wheels but then you lose a lot of the strength. the spoked rims are trailside repairable and the steel rimmed wheels are less likely to get a bent lip.

trade offs on all fronts.

now running tubeless tires offroad with a TUbliss system might be the best combination.
TUbliss Motorcycle Dirt Bike Durable Tires | Nuetech

works as a rim lock, spoke seal, and runflat all at the same time.
saddlebag likes this.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 08:26 AM

Garage
cast wheels will carry your 450# Versys anywhere the bike would be reasonably expected to travel.
turn8a and kohburn like this.
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:06 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrocks View Post
cast wheels will carry your 450# Versys anywhere the bike would be reasonably expected to travel.
but i dont ride in anyway reasonable or how expected

yes im a guy.

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:23 AM

I prefer cast wheels . For me less maintenance. I know I suck at it but it has always for me been a pain in the ass to true a spoked wheel.
kohburn likes this.
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 09:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by silviefox View Post
but i dont ride in anyway reasonable or how expected
then you will trash some wheels, cast or spoked, no matter.

road conditions that look likely to damage a wheel are the same places that are extremely inconvenient to have any moto damage, like wheels. my thinking is this... "i need to ride this bike outta here, don't break it."
kohburn and BEACHBUM like this.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 01:42 PM

In addition - spoked wheels tend to absorb nasty bumps rather than crack or dent like a cast rim. They are springier than cast wheels, and ride better in the dirt.

Depending on the spoked rim design, it may or may not be able to accept a tubeless tire (without adding a inner tube).

But, if the spokes are attached to the rim via an external flange, then its tubeless.

And some tubeless spoked rims have a inner band that seals the spokes from the tire area, thus holding the air in without the use of an inner tube.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-29-2016, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
now running tubeless tires offroad with a TUbliss system might be the best combination.
TUbliss Motorcycle Dirt Bike Durable Tires | Nuetech
That is fookin ingenious! Probably wouldn't be as good with street tires since running them so low would surely wear them out a lot faster, but at least one could use it to seal spoked rims and then run standard pressure.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arion View Post
To add to what Silviefox has said, it's A LOT cheaper to replace a spoke or two than an entire cast wheel should it, or they in the case of spokes, get damaged while thrashing around off the pavement. The wilderness can be terribly unforgiving.
Running cast wheels is OK off-road, but you should NOT air-down, as that removes protection from the rims. Check on jdrocks' rides, and experiences w/ tire pressures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkovo View Post
Cast wheels are super easy to keep clean. Spoked wheels are not. For road riding only, I think Cast is the way to go. Don't hit any atomic potholes, and no worries. Offroad is a different story, but taking the Versys into any real offroad sitiations is a poor choice in my opinion.
Again - see jdrocks - MANY thousands of miles on dirt and gravel on cast wheels, w/ (I believe) NO issues of bent rims.

Riding two days back, on desert dirt, I hit a VERY large hole which made one 'helluva' bang.... Front Tourance 130/80x17 at 36 psi - rim still OK.
kohburn likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 01-30-2016, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trialsguy View Post
...Depending on the spoked rim design, it may or may not be able to accept a tubeless tire (without adding a inner tube)....
Years ago I spent a couple of days converting the wheels on my KLR 650 (an '04) to tubeless, and they worked VERY well after that, tubeless. In fact, after sitting all winter in Canada in the garage, when I got back in the spring, the pressure was still w/in 5 psi of what I'd left them w/, and that was w/ Shinko 705 tires on.

AIN'T all that difficult...!

silviefox likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode