Painting a Versys - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Painting a Versys

I am about to purchase a Versys and I see many people on this site have repainted their bikes. How would I go about changing the color of my bike. Do I have to buy special paint? Does it require sanding? What's the different steps in painting the frame versus painting the tank? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
what is the colour of the bike you are buying?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adahma View Post
I am about to purchase a Versys and I see many people on this site have repainted their bikes. How would I go about changing the color of my bike. Do I have to buy special paint? Does it require sanding? What's the different steps in painting the frame versus painting the tank? Any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you!

If you've never painted a bike before, let me tell you its not a project for beginners. the key to a good paint job is the prep work. Not only that but you need a dust free environment (paint booth) and spraying the paint requires some skill to get a decent finish. I hate to burst your bubble but you might want to have it done professionally.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

The blue 2009
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Vs View Post

If you've never painted a bike before, let me tell you its not a project for beginners. the key to a good paint job is the prep work. Not only that but you need a dust free environment (paint booth) and spraying the paint requires some skill to get a decent finish. I hate to burst your bubble but you might want to have it done professionally.
I agree, just take the parts you want painted to a pro. you'll be happy you did.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:33 PM

Try a search.

We discussed it quite a bit in the 'who's got the best looking verysys' thread.

I bought a green one with the intention of painting it black. The green one has the black side trim and wheels, so that was a no-brainer. Even the new ones don't have black wheels, they put silver wheels with the black body work.

But yeah, based on your questions, take the parts off and take them to a body shop to paint. For a good acrylic enamel or urethane shoot and polish, expect something on the order of $5-$600.

If you're in CA I'll do them for you, I charge $50 an hour for however long it takes, plus materials. I spent $100 for paint, but only used about a quarter of it. Make you a special deal on black.

If you want to do the prep, take it apart yourself and get a few sheets of 3M bodyshop paper in 500 grit and knock the gloss off. Get some quotes for carry-in parts to paint. Disassemebly is pretty easy. You end up with the two fairing halves, the tank, and the two rear trims under the seat.

They'll probably want you to bring it back after assembly for polishing since it's done by machine and the parts are too small to hold on to. JMHO, YMMV.

Chris Brown
In SoCal
2009 V - custom black-on-black - SOLD
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I was just curious. I am a do-it-yourself type guy and I didn't know if this was a huge task. Thanks for the input. Does anyone know what a good deal would be to pain the parts? I just want them painted one color. I don't want any design or artwork.

Thanks again!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:36 PM

I painted my hugger with Colorite rattle cans. I did all of the prep that they suggested, but it still didn't turn out as good as I would have liked. It would have cost less to have it done professionally.

Steve

I bought a motorcycle because my wife said that I couldn't! Now I have two and she still says I can't have another one!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sounds like a challenge to me!

Now I have four!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 01:30 AM

I painted my red 08 but just the cowling and it was easy to remove and cheap to have it done by a pro. Looks great and i think i have the best looking V i have ever seen. But thats my love affair.

cheers
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 10:07 PM

i painted mine charcoal and the tank matte black. Its easy . take your time and do it right. Like you im a do it yourselfer and i especially love tinkering on bikes and knowing them in side out. I'll post pics of my transformation from green to charcoal/matte black.
For the time being visit a autopaint supply store. they are typically full of useful info and will give you affordable but good product.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-30-2010, 11:00 PM

my painted bike

here are a couple quick pics from the garage tonight. day shots to follow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg side view.JPG (185.2 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg tank view.JPG (116.5 KB, 122 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode