Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

This has been done to death but....

7K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  Frisco 
#1 ·
Right, I have read the thousands of threads that have gone back and fore with regards to a new wind shield, however I cannot seem to make head nor tail of which one will be best for me.

I am 6,1, 34 inside leg. I get bad buffeting at the moment and have the stock shield upside down in it´s lowest position and that seems to be the best it´s gonna get.

I have been looking at the European market, and here we have puig,ermax,vario,givi..off the top of my head.

Can anyone with similar build and height give me an idea?

Thanks!

#14 ·
Is the aftermarket MRA Vario taller than the OEM Vario? I've got the OEM version and haven't been able to make it work for me at 6'0"/34" (very close to the OP's measurements). Alternatively, someone suggested adding some more spacing behind the lower pair of bolts to get some extra tiltback. Haven't tried it yet, but I like the idea, at least as an alternative to dropping 100USD+ on a Madstad.

#5 ·

Kiwi 41 on my bike. Maybe kiwi41 can through in some comments on the wind effect.

Present set up.Givi tall screen with LIP.

I am 5'9" and should work for you in high setting-IMHO. BTW you need to spend some time on the setting of wind screen to find your sweat spot. Its call fine tuning.

Hope you will find one for your liking.
:cheers:

#15 · (Edited)
I took the stock shield and a givi with the stock upside down. Drilled a set of holes in each windshield and bolted together making a taller windshield and covering the gap at the bottom. I'm 6'2" 33 inseam and this works great. Doing 90mph on the freeway and it was a nice calm ride.:D

#16 ·
Seem to have forgotten what my thread was about after seeing that last pic....errrmmm:D

Anywho, for someone who would be too scared about drilling the shield and would think that it would look a bit strange anyway,having 2 shields together, does anyone else have any suggestions.

I am a bit disappointed to here the vario doesn't do the job since it is the one I like aesthetically the most from the aftermarket shields.

Does anyone know about the Ermax or Puig?

#17 ·
spainy;173152 Anywho said:
Drilling the holes were a piece of cake. If you don't want the 2 shields together you can just drill a givi to raise the height.

#19 · (Edited)
Drill the holes with a cement drill bit. Works great. There is a video of the method on my website.

BTW if you want to try one of my old shields that I have laying around the garage just paypal me enough money to ship a 4 lb box that is 19" x 16" x" 6" to you and I will send you one.

#21 ·
I am 6ft4, have the windscreen in the middle position and I find it just fine. I've never even tried the highest position. My head doesn't get buffetted. Yes, it sees the full strength of the windstream, but it never seems hard work on the neck. I've done 350mile rides like and never really needed another windscreen. Not sure that helps *you* but just thought it would be a different point of view....

#22 ·
#28 ·
You don't' want screen that large on the Versys.
Those brackets aren't designed to hold it. It's even more difficult on rough roads.
You will go slower and use more fuel.
You won't get any clear air coming into your helmet or washing the rain of your visor.

#32 ·
Nope, nothing underneath. Just the MRA with the stock adjustable mount. I keep mine on the highest setting that is why there is a gap at the bottom. Here is a pic of it straight on:

They sell an adjustable mount for it, but I am pretty sure mine is mounted on the stock equipment.

I did not see the windscreen I have on the link you posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.