Anyone want *MORE* teeth on their rear sprocket? - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Anyone want *MORE* teeth on their rear sprocket?

I hear a lot about people going down to 44 or 43T rear sprockets for increased top speeds, lower RPM at higher speeds, more use of each gear etc. But I think I'd want it to be the opposite - I want more POWER on each gear. I'd like the option to raise the front wheel by twisting the throttle in basically ANY gear if I wanted to - just not just in the 1st gear. Can you get rear sprockets with even more teeth than the stock 46?

Am I nuts? Anyone else feel this way? I love the stock torque in first gear. Am I riding the V at too high RPMs for it's own good? (Usually between 6k-9K). I rarely ride at really high top speeds because of the insane traffic around where I live (WA), so if anything I'd like more torque in each gear than anything so I can zip between lanes and really accelerate an whatever gear I'm in.

Any insights/ideas/comments welcome. Thanks!

(Oops - realized this should have been posted in "Modifications - Performance") how does one move it?

Last edited by Martin Lindhe; 07-20-2010 at 09:47 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 10:21 PM

I can see some folks liking that alot. The only bad thing about it is that the shorter ratio gearing will make that initial low rpm thottle crack jerk (you know, that on/off switch type throttle response of fuel injection) will be more pronounced. Outside of that, whether its fun or not is entirely up to the preference of the rider.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcstratt View Post
The only bad thing about it is that the shorter ratio gearing will make that initial low rpm thottle crack jerk (you know, that on/off switch type throttle response of fuel injection) will be more pronounced.
You mean the sudden jump of acceleration when it feels like the bike is gonna take off at light speed? I LOVE that feeling

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:22 PM

I'd be very interested to hear about people's experiences if any one has tried this.

one of the future bikes: 2020 Ducati MS
Current Bike: None
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Past bikes:
Kawasaki Versys 2010
Honda Shadow 750
Yamaha Virago 1100
Honda CG 125
Honda CD 70
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 PM

I like the stock gearing, I do a pretty even mix of freeway and town and find the gearing spot on.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Lindhe View Post
I hear a lot about people going down to 44 or 43T rear sprockets for increased top speeds, lower RPM at higher speeds, more use of each gear etc. But I think I'd want it to be the opposite - I want more POWER on each gear. I'd like the option to raise the front wheel by twisting the throttle in basically ANY gear if I wanted to - just not just in the 1st gear. Can you get rear sprockets with even more teeth than the stock 46?

Am I nuts? Anyone else feel this way? I love the stock torque in first gear. Am I riding the V at too high RPMs for it's own good? (Usually between 6k-9K). I rarely ride at really high top speeds because of the insane traffic around where I live (WA), so if anything I'd like more torque in each gear than anything so I can zip between lanes and really accelerate an whatever gear I'm in.
Don't know if you're nuts for wanting shorter gearing; that's a lot of personal preference. But the thought of living between 6-9000 RPM kind of makes my head hurt, mostly because I don't think I could handle the noise. Does seem like a lot of extra wear and heat to save oneself a couple of downshifts. Tear her down at 50,000 and let us know how she looks!

Jon
'09 Versys in Blue
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:24 AM

for wanting to wheelie in any gear - and on a versys! - probably nuts! but I ran a 14t on track. and was perfectly doable in town too.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Hehe ok maybe not ever gear, but first, second and third?

So you're saying I might be on the wrong bike for that type of throttle response?
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:55 AM

No, Martin. I wouldn't say you're nuts.

You want to try out a new dimension in your riding pleasure.
Minus besides the extra acceleration would be higher rpm and less fuel economy.
Plus more wear and tear and heat generation.
That set-up would serve best on twisty high altitude roads.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ride safe,

post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:10 AM Thread Starter

I can live with less fuel economy and higher wear. I just want even more acceleration between 0-60 mph. I rarely get to go faster in this damn area anyways because if slowpokes in front of me.

My question is simply, would gearing down a V give me what I'm lusting for, or am I trying to make the V to something it's not?
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:25 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
to gear down or not to gear down that is the question. I geared up with 44 rear. you may be on your own here Martin. The V has more than enough zip to pass anyway
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Aha, well I just might have to be pioneer guinea pig on gearing down a V then

I know the V has "enough" zip to pass and accelerate. But I want more than enough hehe...
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:30 AM

Give it a go. If you are happy with the mod, No one can tell you otherwise.
My take, the V is not a bike built for speed.

Cheers, Martin.

My V Blog:

Ride safe,

post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Will be very interested if you do Mr guinea pig
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlee29 View Post
Give it a go. If you are happy with the mod, No one can tell you otherwise.
My take, the V is not a bike built for speed.

Cheers, Martin.
yep that true, test rode a BKing the same time I test rode the V
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Ok so if I take the plunge to do this unorthodox downgearing experiment, should I increase rear to 48t? Or leave the 46 t rear stock an install a 14t or 13t in the front?

Or, seriously, am I just doing something stupid here?
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

If you don't like how it turns out Martin, its no big deal to put your old sprocket back on. found myself doing the rear pretty easy the front would would take a bit more effort to get off. Go on Martin down gear your bike or it will annoy you until you try.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Ok so if I take the plunge to do this unorthodox downgearing experiment, should I increase rear to 48t? Or leave the 46 t rear stock an install a 14t or 13t in the front?

Or, seriously, am I just doing something stupid here?
No biggie, they are just gears and sprockets. If you don't like it, put the old one back on again and you are out at most $50.

133bhp already ran a 14T sprocket without a problem so you can certainly do that. A 13T might give an awfully small bending radius for the chain, and also have your chain run a lot on the guides that are placed just before the sprocket. On top of that, the gear reduction might be too much, see below.
15/48 is a 4.2% reduction. (Similar to the increase with a 44T gear, which many people say is the nicest up-gear ratio)
14/46 is a 6.7% reduction. (I have this and I find it right at the edge of how much change in gearing there should be)
13/46 is a 13.6% reduction. (Might be well off the deep end. And perhaps just what you are looking for! )
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

The small bending radius of the 13t may be the issue, proceed with a lot of caution and the 13.6% reduction is a **** load of difference.
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
I can live with less fuel economy and higher wear. I just want even more acceleration between 0-60 mph. I rarely get to go faster in this damn area anyways because if slowpokes in front of me.
Martin - are you saying you are accelerating at full throttle and the bike doesn't accelerate fast enough? I can see how the current gearing won't allow a power wheelie in 2/3 just by cracking the throttle, but that's not the same as not having enough acceleration.

Gustavo

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode