2008 Versys Mirror problems - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Exclamation 2008 Versys Mirror problems

I bought my Versys about five weeks ago and have had to take it back to the dealership 3 times so far to have the mirrors worked on. I've had them reinstall and re-tighten the mirrors, replace the original set of mirrors with new mirrors and I'm still having a problem with them moving when I'm going over 50 miles per hour. Has anyone else experienced this problem? The dealer has one more try - this weekend they're going to try to chemically weld the aluminum cone to the mirror post in hopes that will fix the problem.

Apparently this is a manufacturing problem but I haven't seen or heard of a new design.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:05 PM

I have over 6k miles on mine, and my Mirrors have never moved unless I move them.

Todd
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:15 PM

Yep its a common problem. I've even tried Locktite, but still having problems. Its makes me feel like a moron, I have very tool known to man and still can't get these things cranked down to a workable level.

Machog

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 10:18 PM

What's the consensus on bar end mirrors? I'm from a dirt background, so no experience with street mirrors. I saw Golfmuch has them with the Acerbis guards...nice looking setup. maybe he'll post a few more pics for us...hint, hint.

BTW, I'll be picking up my new V in a day or so! Let the farkling begin.

/neil
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:38 PM

I have had the "mirror" problem also. I was pretty frustrated crusing on the highway and not being able to see anything but my helmet and chest in my left mirror. I ended up making a gasket out of thin fiber gasket material (not the cork stuff). This gasket goes between the bottom mount and the mirror, sandwiched between the two hex sections. It has'nt moved since, and the extra thickness was perfect to give it a tight fit. Even crusing at 75 or 80mph it stays in place. Still have trouble seeing around my shoulders but that's another problem.....scott
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 05:25 AM

This past Saturday I installed the SW-Moto mirror wideners. Wow, what a difference. I can see behind me without twisting all over. They are pricey, but worth the price to me. It doesn't help with the goofy mirror attachment system though.
Bob
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 04:22 PM

Left mirror only

I too have had a mirror problem. But only the left one. The dealer put some loctite on it the second time I took it in. If it happens again, i'll try the gasket solution. Thanks.
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 04:33 PM

Same thing for me, the left mirror. The nut has rounded edges on it which keeps from getting a nice tight torque on it. I will try the gasket idea, sounds like a winner.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 04:46 PM

I have seen a few pics where folks have used bar end mirrors. has anyone tried fairing mounts? I was trying to figure out today if the lower hieght might make it easier to see around the sides, no rider's shoulders in the view. My only thought might be that if you have side cases they might block alot or rearward view.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 05:25 PM

I put KZ750 mirrors on my bike from Emgo. I used locktite and have had no problems.These mirrors are wider so you don't see your shoulders. Look very similar to stock. Total cost including shipping was around $32 dollars.Emgo does not sell direct to consumer you will have to find an internet dealer.
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 05:38 PM

Speedy's Mirror Extenders

Hi guys,

If any of you is still tired of looking at your shoulders instead of at what's going on behind you, I wanted to let you know that I make mirror extenders.
They are made of 6061-T6 aluminum and are balck anodized. Once installed, they extend the mirrors by 1.875 inches (47.6 mm), which makes it a perfect extension distance. Of course, you can twist them, so they don't extend the mirrors as much. The price per pair, including mounting screws, is $27.00 plus $5.00 for shipping within U.S.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mirror extenders .jpg (26.8 KB, 506 views)
File Type: jpg Mirror extender installed .jpg (42.0 KB, 324 views)
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whubman View Post
I put KZ750 mirrors on my bike from Emgo. I used locktite and have had no problems.These mirrors are wider so you don't see your shoulders. Look very similar to stock. Total cost including shipping was around $32 dollars.Emgo does not sell direct to consumer you will have to find an internet dealer.
Any chance you have a pic of how they look on your bike and where you purchased them?
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-05-2008, 07:41 PM

Triumph Tiger 1050 mirrors fix all mirror issues. Can see behind and they don't move unless you want them to. Bit pricey but worth it.

Bill
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Versys
F650GSD
FLSTSCI
XR650L
Tri Scrambler
XR50
SRX600
Zuma 125
T100R
Aero 50
EZ90
PA50
States by MC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice on the mirrors. I'm going to try the gasket route in hopes that it will save me from yet another trip up to the dealership.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by actar911 View Post

As for adjustment, when you take the mirror off the bike, if you turn it upside down, you will see a nut inside that can be lossened and then the mirror rotated. It's a trial and error, where you have to lossened, arrange, tightened and put it back on the bike and see.

took a bit of time, but worked well in the end (except for the vibration in the left mirror) and also had to use the locktite on the mirror to stop them from lossening up.

This post from another thread helped me with the mirrors quite a bit ... I plan on posting a how-to thread with pictures in the near future because I have to go through this process again ( dropped my bike! ).
post #16 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 06:00 PM

Another simply fix is to unscrew the mirrors and put a lock washer on.

'09 Versys -Green

TET'68 Survivor
post #17 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 07:36 PM

dallasdon - ever go out to Strokers? I hear there is a ride, Dime-bag Darrell tribute ride. Leaving from Strokers on Sunday, with a ride somewhere out in dallas. $30 - which includes a BBQ lunch.
post #18 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:10 PM

I've had no trouble with the mirrors. I have noticed that occasionally when one mirror is buzzy, the other one is usually clear - kinda odd.
post #19 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 08:40 PM

Exclamation

I had a similar issue when I first got the V. My left side mirror did not want to stay put at any speed over 45ish. Took it to the dealership, they tightned it up and all, but still had the issue!
So I took the entire left mirror assemnly off myself, and then put it all back together real nice and tight. It hasnt had that problem since then.
I do however get mirror vibrations, which are annoying, but not so bad as to make the mirrors unusable.

post #20 of 41 (permalink) Old 08-06-2008, 10:23 PM

Am I the only person coming off of a Sport bike with no rearward visibility and a Supermoto (no Mirrors)?

I had the loose mirror problem (which I fixed by removing the mirror and tightening the bolt), but am still pretty happy with the rearward visibility on this bike. I'm just amazed to actually see anything behind me. I'm a pretty wide guy too so I don't see where the problem is I guess.

Not bagging on anybody, just wondered if anyone else sees fine out of their mirrors or if there is something terribly wrong with me?

Oh how I hope nothing is wrong with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in