Opinions on Scorpion Trail 2 tires? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
Fly-Sig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 990
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Opinions on Scorpion Trail 2 tires?

Anybody run the Pirelli Scorpion Trail 2 tires? On paper (or computer screen) these look like a good tire.

How do they turn in, how stable are they, and how do they feel compared to the oem Dunlops?

Currently I am torn between the Trail 2 or the Michelin Pilot Road 4 for my '15 650LT. I ride 90% street, which is half highway and half around town, with some fun twisties once in a while. The other 10% is dirt/forest roads.

Next summer I plan on doing many fun trips which will be a combination of everything. Highway riding a few hundred miles with either a really fun paved mountain section and/or a day of dirt and gravel roads. The dirt will include some mountain dirt roads, but not full on adventure enduro Dakar crazy stuff. I'll still commute to work, etc.

On balance I don't want to have street and highway performance lower than the oem Dunlops, but do need to gain significantly in dirt traction and handling.
Fly-Sig is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Member
 
invader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kapuskasing Ontario Canada
Posts: 7,827
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
invader is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 03:29 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
The guy I bought my V from was pretty anal about everything he did with it. (He sold it because he is moving to Ecuador and the tariff to take it along was prohibitive). He also researched the heck out of everything he did. Short story, he put the Scorpion II's on it after the OEM's wore down. So, I guess one vote from an experienced rider, although I don't know how much dirt road he did. As for me, not at a point to tell a Scorpion from an Avon from a Pilot 4. Keep us posted on your search.

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cjcintucson is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-09-2016, 05:51 AM
ggg
Member
 
ggg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: south australia
Posts: 135
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
i had a set of scorp syns, they were great on and off road, i changed to bridgestone 023's

the scorp's had a softer side wall which added comfort over the bumps, only issue is they worn a little quick , i liked them
ggg is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-10-2016, 05:17 PM
Member
 
twowheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 3,343
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I had the first version of the Scorpion Trails. They are now on version 2. Was not happy due to fast wear and poor pavement feel.

Best tire I have used so far, wrt feel and wear is Michelin Pilot Road 3, getting Pilot Road 4s next tire chance.

Last edited by twowheels; 01-10-2016 at 05:19 PM.
twowheels is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome