Wiring Accessories- Let's See Your Solutions - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Wiring Accessories- Let's See Your Solutions

I wanted to get this thread started to see how everyone wired in accessories using a fuse block or otherwise, how cleanly you were able to do it, and where you located everything.

Currently I have:
Oxford Heated Grips
12v Socket
LED Fog Lights

They are all wired directly to the battery which works, but is kinda ghetto (see my avatar)

I'd like to add a fuse block, but there doesn't seem to bee much space. The damn wiring from the Oxford heated grips pretty much ruins any chance of locating the block near the battery.

Anyways...Show me what you all did!

2014 Versys ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 02:01 AM

Here is mine on a 2015 650

post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 03:51 AM

Garage
Nice job MJ

I bought a fuzeblock and installed it but never found a use for it. The heated grips went straight to the battery, the LED daytime running lights only draw 300 ma so I wired them direct to the headlight, the Wolo airhorn was wired using a relay and the USB socket was powered from the accessory point. Removed the fuzeblock. Anyone in Australia wanna buy it?

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacucaracha View Post
I wanted to get this thread started to see how everyone wired in accessories using a fuse block or otherwise, how cleanly you were able to do it, and where you located everything.

Currently I have:
Oxford Heated Grips
12v Socket
LED Fog Lights

They are all wired directly to the battery which works, but is kinda ghetto (see my avatar)

I'd like to add a fuse block, but there doesn't seem to bee much space. The damn wiring from the Oxford heated grips pretty much ruins any chance of locating the block near the battery.

I like to use Gerbings heated connectors and I don't get too worried about things looking tidy. I splice the male to my Battery Tenders so they double as an outlet to charge the battery. There are only two. One the I dangle out beneath the seat once it gets cold to hook in my riding gear. The other is longer and goes to the dash where I also spliced a male onto my GPS. All Gerbings connectors come fused, so no need for an extra block. I just hang their terminals directly on the battery. I use a Gerbing's inline switch to control the power to my devices as necessary.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Connector 1.jpg (84.2 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg Connector 2.jpg (107.0 KB, 150 views)
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 07:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums...tml#post940961

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 10:22 AM

waterproof sealed fuse box for 3 fuses
3 Way Waterproof Fuse Block Box Holder w Clear Cap Motorcycle Boat ATV Car Truck | eBay

universal 12-24 vdc relay with socket, and a lot of soldering and heat shrink tubing.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 10:39 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kohburn View Post
waterproof sealed fuse box for 3 fuses
3 Way Waterproof Fuse Block Box Holder w Clear Cap Motorcycle Boat ATV Car Truck | eBay

universal 12-24 vdc relay with socket, and a lot of soldering and heat shrink tubing.
nice i like that fuse block and am going to get a few for projects to come

yes im a guy.

post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:19 AM

Garage
This past weekend I installed the accessory relay and connected my R&G heated grips to the factory accessory location. My next plan is to add a power outlet and connect it to the factory power outlet location. I guess once all the factory locations are used I will consider a fuse block... Until then I really don't see the point I like the plug and play of the factory locations and it's a relayed connection so my battery is completely safe from accidental discharge...
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 11:41 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I had this on the Versys.....Termin-8 Easier Than A Fuseblock - Powerlet Products

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I installed a "Fuzeblock" on my '08 and my '09 (since 'deceased'...), because that way I didn't need so many wires going to the battery, "stacking" connectors.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I bought a PDM60 cheap

PDM60 | Rowe Electronics

Small, powerful and programmable.
Will fit anywhere as it is quite small.

Have not fitted it yet.
post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 06:06 PM

lacucaracha -Could you post a pic of how you mounted the controller for the heated grips? The Oxford controller is quite large and i'm curious as to how and where other folks did their install.
Thanks, cyclejohn

Quote:

Currently I have:
Oxford Heated Grips
12v Socket
LED Fog Lights

post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclejohn View Post
lacucaracha -Could you post a pic of how you mounted the controller for the heated grips? The Oxford controller is quite large and i'm curious as to how and where other folks did their install.
Thanks, cyclejohn
Here ya go. I just used 3M double sided tape and put it on the handlebar clamp. The little bracket the kit came with wouldn't fit anywhere. It's kind of a Mickey Mouse, but I haven't had any issues with it separating in 2 1/2 years of rain or shine.

2014 Versys ABS
post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:13 PM

Garage
I HATE tapping wires into other electrical wires on a vehicle. Yes you can maybe get away with it ok, but to me its not worth it.

On my first car I did alot of tapping into other circuits. Everything worked great for quite a while, but then the gremlins start showing up. Trying to back track after problems arrive and figure out what wire tap caused your problems sucks.

On the V I s=installed a Fuzeblok under the seat. Serves 2 great purposes. First, It is impossible to leave something on and kill my battery. Second, if electrical problems arrive, I can disconnect each item, or the entire Fuzeblk to see if it has anything to do with the problems. Plus its not a rats nest of wires on my battery....

Stuff I have on my Fuzeblok- GPS, Additional headlights, cigarette plug in my top box, and Oxford heated grips.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-2016, 09:52 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post

On the V I s=installed a Fuzeblok under the seat. Serves 2 great purposes. First, It is impossible to leave something on and kill my battery. Second, if electrical problems arrive, I can disconnect each item, or the entire Fuzeblk to see if it has anything to do with the problems. Plus its not a rats nest of wires on my battery....

Stuff I have on my Fuzeblok- GPS, Additional headlights, cigarette plug in my top box, and Oxford heated grips.
my reasoning exactly

yes im a guy.

post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 03:18 AM

Garage
No rats nests on my bike
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigitt View Post
I bought a PDM60 cheap

PDM60 | Rowe Electronics

Small, powerful and programmable.
Will fit anywhere as it is quite small.

Have not fitted it yet.
I have one, too. I've got my grips, GPS, Screaming Banshee horn, and heated jacket liner connected. At the moment it's just a mess of wires but when the weather warms I'm going to come up with a cleaner solution.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-06-2016, 08:19 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Here ya go. I just used 3M double sided tape and put it on the handlebar clamp. The little bracket the kit came with wouldn't fit anywhere. It's kind of a Mickey Mouse, but I haven't had any issues with it separating in 2 1/2 years of rain or shine.

I just attached the bracket to the hand controls on the left side, I'll grab a shot of it tonight when I get home.

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 01:12 AM

Garage
AME grips are awesome, turn themselves off, come back to the same setting when you start the bike, individual controls for each grip, no big ugly controller on the handlebars. Nice one AME
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-07-2016, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheftyler View Post
I just attached the bracket to the hand controls on the left side, I'll grab a shot of it tonight when I get home.
I attached the bracket of mine to the handguard clamp on the left side. I'd pretty much run out of ideas for where to put it when it occurred to me that it would fit there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3011.jpg (41.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3010.jpg (32.5 KB, 80 views)
3dog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode