GI Pro gear indicator installation - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
GI Pro gear indicator installation

I recently picked up a GI Pro gear indicator. I am always trying to shift up into 7th gear, and downshifting turning onto side roads, want to make sure im in the correct gear. I chose the GI Pro from http://www.healtech-electronics.com/ becase it is true plug-and-play.

As far as installing the Indicator I did not bother taking any pics as all it takes is plugging into the diagnostics connection under the seat, EASY!

For mounting I wanted a very clean setup. The indicator comes with double sided tape on the back. You could just stick it to the dash, but that would be ugly.

I have a Speedy's GPS mount, and looking at it decided the indicator would be mounted to that. But how?

My solution...

Pic of the indicator and a piece of thick sheet metal.

If you have a Speedy's mount, you know the front face screws onto the "legs" to attach to the windshield mount. My plans were to sandwich the sheet metal between the Speedy face and legs.

I took some measurements to see the size of metal needed to hold the indicator, and also to fit in the sandwich.
(the small section on the left will be sandwiched, the section on the right is to hold the indicator.)

Ready for the sawzall with metal blade.

After measurements being taken and spots marked for holes to be drilled for screws.

Here is the Speedy's GPS mount with the Indicator mount on the side. In order to keep the spacing on each side of the GPS mount between the face and the legs I used 2 small washers that were equal to my sheet metal. I also painted the indicator mount black to hid it a bit(but the paint was after this pic).

Here are some finished install pics.

All mounted. I ran the wire out from under the dash at the windshield mount.

From the seat.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Beautifully crafted. Now go enjoy your rides without the 7th gear problem.

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:12 AM

Nicely done! I too try to go the extra mile to make a clean install.

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Hmmmmm what do you find thats so ugly?????

[

2009 Blue Versys.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett

Last edited by weljo2001; 07-31-2010 at 10:24 PM.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weljo2001 View Post
Hmmmmm, Nothing.

In my reply I said "I too try to go the extra mile to make a clean install." Meaning I like the fact Hawkshot fabbed a bracket so it would not look like such an after thought. Hawkshot said "You could just stick it to the dash, but that would be ugly." I agree. If I wanted a gear indicator, I would not just stick it on the fairing with double sided tape. I would take the time to make it look like it belongs.

I think the manufacturer should persue making a semi-flush mounting option where one could cut a hole in the fairing and mount it with no wire showing. See below for the kind of mount I am talking about....

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Doesnt look ugly there. I just was not a fan of any of the spots were I would just stick it somewhere.

Thanks for answering those questions.

08' Versys
Givi racks with V35 sides, and V46 Top-case, Garmin Zumo 450 GPS, Powermadd Handguards, Motowerks GPS Mount, Peg Lowering kit, Flat Foot, Arrow Exhaust, Adjustable Levers, GIPro Gear Indicator, Oxford Heated Grips
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
Doesnt look ugly there. I just was not a fan of any of the spots were I would just stick it somewhere.

Thanks for answering those questions.
Your Welcome Anytime

2009 Blue Versys.
Sold

My Farkles...

My Video Channel

My Photos...

I'm not a Gynecologist. "But I'll Take A Look"

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth...
Mike Tyson

"Ya'll can go to hell, I'm goin' to Texas!"...Davey Crockett
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Put on your little stirrups and ride your V to your favorite gay bar
Nice
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:13 PM

So how much is the indicator? That is going to be the difference between me living with it or putting it on there.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
So how much is the indicator? That is going to be the difference between me living with it or putting it on there.
+1
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
Nice
+1
post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
$140.....More than I wanted to pay, but for the true plug and play over tapping into wires I was ok with it.

08' Versys
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 PM

Sweet, I am so stealing your setup.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAWKSHOT99 View Post
I recently picked up a GI Pro gear indicator.

I see a gear indicator in this youtube video.

At the beginning, the indicator shows "5" before roll on the throttle then "1". Also at the 1:48 mark, it appears to read "6" as he starts to roll on and then it changes to "1". Is this normal? What does it say while in Neutral?

The gear indicator seems to lag behind the shift, but not long. Does yours do this? I guess it might take a little time for the computer to talk to the indicator?

Thanks!
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:38 PM

the computer only sends a signal to the indicator when the clutch is released and 0 for neutral.

"The things you own end up owning you." - Tyler Durden

post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn Kirk View Post
I see a gear indicator in this youtube video.

At the beginning, the indicator shows "5" before roll on the throttle then "1". Also at the 1:48 mark, it appears to read "6" as he starts to roll on and then it changes to "1". Is this normal? What does it say while in Neutral?

The gear indicator seems to lag behind the shift, but not long. Does yours do this? I guess it might take a little time for the computer to talk to the indicator?

Thanks!
When the clutch is engaged the indicator does not work. The bike does not have a gear indicator built in like some bikes. The bikes on board computer does computations between RPM's, and speed to decide what the gear is. If the clutch is pulled in the 2 do not match and it will not know what to display, so it reads whatever the last known gear was.

In the vid- At the beginning he is just barely moving when the indicator reads "5". The he jumps on the gas hard into a wheelie and it switches to "1". He was most likely driving in 5th, and downshifted all of the way to 1st holding in the clutch, then ran it up through the gears again.
There is about a 1 second lag on the indicator after a shift. It is not exact but way before you would be ready to shift again.

08' Versys
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 07:10 AM

Thanks Hawkshot... Makes perfect sense, just had no idea. Kinda like the idea more after seeing one in operation.

The indicator is not listed anywhere as fitting the 2010. Has anyone installed one on the 10?
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to buffamazon
I see people sell these used on ebay occasionally. Not thinking its a part that would hurt any being used. I'd love to have one!

09 Versys In Go-Fast Green
Acerbis Pro Pack Handguards
Ogio Tailbag
Ogio Saddlebags
Vortex 44T Sprocket
Wolo Bad Boy Air horn
Trackside 12 volt power adaptor
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:56 AM

I had one on my old track bike. It would show the next highest gear when you were up near redline. I bought it mainly for the timing retard eliminator that was built into that model. Never really paid much attention to the gear indicator.

I LOVED their Speedo Healer product. You could calibrate your speedometer after gearing changes and such. It also had a top speed recall button. It was fantastic. Can't tell you how many times my track buddies would say, "Man, I hit 160mph on the front straight" and I'd be right behind them with my speedo showing a true 135 or something like that. I can tell you that if you're TRUELY doing 160mph on a motorcycle, that's damn fast. I've got up to 149 at Road Atlanta (calibrated speedo) and it was pretty dang swift.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:47 AM

Hello.

Are happy with mine, good little thing to have

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode