Auto Chain Oiler-WARNING. - Kawasaki Versys Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Auto Chain Oiler-WARNING.

This is purely my mistake but as a world of precaution thought I do share my stupidity to all in the forum who are using Automatic Chain Oiler. The below images will show the danger of the oiler if its set a bit high.

I was taking a ride after about a week of not riding and not seeing the bike due to outstation work. Though i saw the chain a bit dry so I set the chain oiler at 3 dose per km. I did a about 80km when i felt the back moving away each time i took left turn. So I pull and want to check if anything was wrong with the back , and to my surprise the back tire was soaking with oil form the chain oiler. I usually set to 1 dose if i didn't oiler the chain manually the night before ride. But what I saw was a bit scary.

Switch the oiler off to 0 dose and wiped off the excess oil on the tires and took a slow ride home.

To all friend using Automatic Chain Oiler just be careful not to set to high a dose or leave the oiler ON for too long a period. i have been using the oiler since i got the bike, but this was the first screw up by me- of course and not the oiler
Just thought I share this as its a bit dangerous with wet oil on back tire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 05:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Its good that you caught it and were able to adjust your riding style A bit slower and with more caution allowing you to be able to stay upright. So your mistake being earased by having the smarts to stop and check things out, caught the problem, and made the nessesary adjustments for your safety.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
Think of all that cleaning you have to do now FastO

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:34 PM

I half to add that i don't think auto oilers are safe for this exact reason. I've never had to worry about oiling my chain while i ride. I try and oil my chain about every 300-600 miles. I've never had a chain failure. Ride it, when its dry oil it, then go ride again.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
Think of all that cleaning you have to do now FastO
Yeap! its a days work to clean the mesh up.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 03:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to kiwi 41
I must be very slack on oiling my chain as early in the year done a 2500km ride and checked every thing else out but forgot about chain maintenance. At least my lovely wifes bike has a drive shaft. Since you clean and oil your chain so well fastO you have inspired me to at least oil before going on a long trip.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:29 AM

Glad you're A-Okay.

My V Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ride safe,

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi 41 View Post
I must be very slack on oiling my chain as early in the year done a 2500km ride and checked every thing else out but forgot about chain maintenance. At least my lovely wifes bike has a drive shaft. Since you clean and oil your chain so well fastO you have inspired me to at least oil before going on a long trip.
I put a couple thousand on my cbr600rr chain before i ever cleaned or lubed it and never had a problem with it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post
I put a couple thousand on my cbr600rr chain before i ever cleaned or lubed it and never had a problem with it.
It's been awhile since I had a chain on a streetbike, but I didn't lube them too often. Going to look at a used 2010 V tomorrow, hope I can get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O-ring_chain
The o-ring chain is named for the rubber o-rings built into the metal rollers of every link in this particular type of metal chain. Chain manufacturers began to include this feature in the 1980s as a way to improve lubrication to the links of power transmission chains, a service that is vitally important to extending the working life of chain. The o-rings fit into the gap between the rollers and the links that surround each roller and hold the entire chain together. These rubber fixtures form a barrier that holds factory applied lubricating grease inside of the rollers while still applying sufficient lubrication to the chain body. Further, the rubber o-rings prevent dirt and other contaminants from entering the inside of the chain linkages, where such particles would otherwise cause significant wear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode