Lots of oil around front sprocket area. Normal? - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Lots of oil around front sprocket area. Normal?

I am still relatively new to chain-driven bikes. As of late, I've noticed a very slowly developing oil slick under the bike. It's about a half-dollar size at this point. I grabbed a flash light and checked under the bike to find oil pooled at the lowest point of plastic engine guard. I wiped it with a finger and it was black oil of some sort. It has been several weeks since I last oiled the chain (bike has been sitting a lot) and I used WD40 as the chain lube.

There just seems to be a lot of oil sprayed around the front sprocket area. Hopefully I am worrying over nothing.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg frontsprocket2800x600.jpg (321.6 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg frontsprocket12800x600.jpg (300.3 KB, 213 views)

Last edited by blazblu82; 12-23-2015 at 08:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 08:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
To me it looks like you're skimping on the lube.
Oil is cheap...drive sets are spendy.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK DOG View Post
To me it looks like you're skimping on the lube.
Oil is cheap...drive sets are spendy.
I'm not going to oil it if the bike isn't getting used; or, at least, not as often. Even when I do oil, feels like I'm using half a spray can of WD40 on the chain.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 09:42 PM

Although there are as many opinions on oil as there are chain lube, in my humble experience WD40 does not stay on the chain for any appreciable length of time. Whereas a decent chain lube will coat, lube and stay on the chain for a longer period of time, thus giving you better longevity of the lube. Your choice, your chain.

Now as far as the potential for an oil leak. Clean up the area as best as possible, run the bike as normal, then re-examine. Perhaps then you will be able to determine if you have an oil leak or the WD40 is just making a mess of things. Best of luck!

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 10:37 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
ya take some wd40 and rags and brush scrub every thing up nice and clean ride it a couple days then examine it w/e the oil is the highest is were your leak most likely is

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 11:21 PM

Garage
WD is a good cleaner... not so good as a lubricant. theory is an O ring chain never needs lube, but I use various chain lubes (after cleaning). one of my bikes has an oiler.

looks pretty wet to be WD unless its pretty recent. a tight chain is known to make the countershaft seal leak.

as above.... clean it and watch close

if I'm answering your question I assume the basic points have been addressed, such as: did you do a compression test? is it still on fire?

Last edited by Beezerboy; 12-23-2015 at 11:23 PM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 03:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
WD is a good cleaner... not so good as a lubricant. theory is an O ring chain never needs lube, but I use various chain lubes (after cleaning). one of my bikes has an oiler.

looks pretty wet to be WD unless its pretty recent. a tight chain is known to make the countershaft seal leak.

as above.... clean it and watch close
i use wd40 on my chain.. dont think of it lubing, like you said a sealed chain doesnt "need" oiling, but you do need to keep it clean to keep grime from breaking the o rings, wd40 and a lite whipping and it slows rust and cleans gunk off..

yes im a guy.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I spent some time earlier cleaning the best I could. I might get that auto-oiler system some time down the road. It won't be for this V, I may be finding myself trading it for a new V with luggage IF the lowering blocks work out.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:05 PM

Is your countershaft seal not leaking engine oil? It sure looks like it is.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

The chain has about a full inch of slop in it on side stand.
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:32 PM

[QUOTE=Beezerboy;1033417]WD is a good cleaner... not so good as a lubricant.
Thanks for mentioning this. If the internet has history right?? WD40 was worked up and made to be a Water Dispersant and they got it the way they wanted it with the 40th try. Yes it does some lubing because I think it has fish oil in it. With my history with bicycles here in the desert (lots of dust), I use a chain lube with a Teflon (or similar) compound in an evaporative base on my motorcycle chains. Anything with oil or wax just collects the dust. Glad to know that the chain really only requires cleaning and that WD-40 can do that gently (and smell good too).

Forty years away from 2 wheel fun. Sure is great to be back smelling the roses!!!
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

I switched to WD40 based on another member's use of it and getting some extreme mileage from their chain.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 04:40 PM

Yeah but, what about your oil leak at the countershaft seal?
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
I don't know. Bike has less than 8800 miles on it and it's 4 years old.

I did ride around the block earlier and checked the front sprocket a few minutes ago and found oil pooled at the black plastic underbelly guard again. Basically, a straight shot down from where the shifter pedal connects. Oil was jet black.

Would the stationary fall I had earlier this year cause the countershaft seal to leak?

Last edited by blazblu82; 12-24-2015 at 05:14 PM.
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
I don't know. Bike has less than 8800 miles on it and it's 4 years old.

I did ride around the block earlier and checked the front sprocket a few minutes ago and found oil pooled at the black plastic underbelly guard again. Basically, a straight shot down from where the shifter pedal connects. Oil was jet black.

Would the stationary fall I had earlier this year cause the countershaft seal to leak?
No... You'll want to remove your countershaft sprocket and inspect. You may be able to clean out some dirt or contaminant in the seal lip which might be causing the leak.

Last edited by invader; 12-24-2015 at 07:52 PM.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
No... Were your sprockets and chain already replaced before? You'll want to remove your countershaft sprocket and inspect. You may be able to clean out some dirt or contaminant in the seal lip which might be causing the leak.
Yes, this.. Sure sounds like a Countershaft seal leak. However seems odd for a bike with so few miles on it, even more odd with a street bike in general. I have replaced a few in my time but never on a street bike, always on My Dirt Bikes that routinely see mud and water grinding around that seal, even then it was rare.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 07:55 PM

After removing sprocket, you can try removing any crap in the seal by running a Seal Mate tool or Kodak film around it to pull it out, if the seal appears to be intact... Otherwise, the seal can be replaced and the countershaft's seal contact surface inspected.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015, 08:01 PM

Garage
Quote:
After removing sprocket, you can try removing any crap in the seal by running a Seal Mate tool or Kodak film around it to pull it out, if the seal appears to be intact... Otherwise, the seal can be replaced and the countershaft's seal contact surface inspected.
i found a cut down milk jug made a good fork seal tool

yes im a guy.

post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Also check higher up on the engine...

I might be that the Crank Case breather tube has come unstuck from the engine or was not put on correctly last time the airbox was removed.

Crank Case breather hose is about 3in long and goes from bottom of airbox to top of gearbox.

If you like running high revs then you might be spitting out oil.
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015, 12:30 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
I'm not going to oil it if the bike isn't getting used; or, at least, not as often. Even when I do oil, feels like I'm using half a spray can of WD40 on the chain.
I use WD40 from the gallon cans, into smaller spray containers, and spray the TOP of the bottom-run of chain so the WD40 goes into the sideplates. BTW - YOUR countershaft area looks JUST like mine, and I have used NOTHING but WD40 on the chains of my THREE Vs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezerboy View Post
WD is a good cleaner... not so good as a lubricant.
I guess that the 56,xxx MILES I got from my OEM chain on the '08 (on WD40) must've been just bullsh*t luck?

Quote:
See my reply above - FWIW - I do NOT think you have a countershaft seal leak. IF you did (do), your engine-oil level will be decreasing.... Is it?
silviefox likes this.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode