Location of air intake for starting fluid - Kawasaki Versys Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By invader

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 03:40 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Question Location of air intake for starting fluid

Hello -- stupid question #1 for me, please redirect me to the proper thread if available.

Bike: 2008 Versys, ~ 30K miles

Problem: battery ran too low to start, likely as a result of a voltage regulator problem (which I believe I discovered on this forum). Attempted to bump start the bike (twice) with a push from a buddy, but failed.

Replaced battery with a fully charged one, and on first attempt to start smelled a strong gas odor, usually indicating a flooded carb if it had a conventional carb. I believe these are throttle body injection (or similar) so not sure this analysis is valid. Bike did not start. Held throttle wide open for second attempt, still no start.

Question: would like to try starting fluid to get it started, but really haven't done any work on this bike since I bought it roughly 2 years ago (other than oil changes & chain adjustments), and have no idea where the air intake can be accessed...! How do I squirt some starting fluid in there w/o taking the tank off?

Thanks,
uwillard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Uwillard, I WOULD NOT use starting fluid on the bike. If it smells of gas already why would you want to add more to the mix? I would have your buddy attempt another jump start or even a pull start. IF the plugs are fouled or bad your going to have to pull the tank to change them anyway.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeff Reichel Palmer, ALASKA
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
There is no inappropriate temperature to ride a motorcycle…just inappropriate layers of protection.
2011 ADVersys
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:02 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
the bike is fuel injected with auto choke. dont touch the throttle just push the start button...

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Answer: because the bike's stuck in a garage at work and don't have the room or tools to do what you're suggesting.

It no longer smells like gas, that's dissipated. Given that, do you know the answer to my question?
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2015, 05:14 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Even if you wanted to, you'd still have to remove the fuel tank and airbox, then it'd be evaporated by the time it was reassembled and ready to start... Your main problem is probably weak spark. What you need to do is remove fuel tank and airbox to replace your spark plugs and inspect your coils for corrosion buildup. While you're there, you should also check your valve clearances, and adjust if out of spec. Exhaust valve clearances are likely insufficient... Then you can start it, and have the throttle bodies vacuum synched.

How did you address your charging voltage problem?

NGK CR9EIA-9 spark plug https://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raf...ktemplate=true
Beany likes this.

Last edited by invader; 12-21-2015 at 05:20 PM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwillard View Post
...Question: would like to try starting fluid to get it started, but really haven't done any work on this bike since I bought it roughly 2 years ago (other than oil changes & chain adjustments), and have no idea where the air intake can be accessed...! How do I squirt some starting fluid in there w/o taking the tank off?...
I WOULDN'T use starting fluid - you might cause an explosion in your air-box.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Problem solved

Thanks to all, appreciate your comments. Got a good charge on the battery and was able to start the bike yesterday after a small bit of cranking. I'm not expecting this to reoccur after I figure out the source of the charging issue...

... on that note, will run the voltage regular diagnostic (youtube video I believe) and will report back on that as well. Read somewhere that the 2008 models often burned thru VRs.

Thanks,
uwillard
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:37 PM

Could the battery just be beat. My 2008 battery was reading good voltage but was bad.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 01:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
All Versys 650 2007~2015 burn out stators over time, especially with the stock shunt type R/R instead of aftermarket series type R/R.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-22-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by invader View Post
All Versys 650 2007~2015 burn out stators over time, especially with the stock shunt type R/R instead of aftermarket series type R/R.
You are 100% correct. That's why I was concerned when I could not get
my 2008 started. I always keep it on a tender and the tender was showing the battery fully charged .And a volt meter confirmed it. Even with a volt meter on the battery and cranking the starter it still showed good volts. Jumped the battery and got the bike started. Replaced the battery and knock on wood everything is good.( for now) lol
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
I WOULDN'T use starting fluid - you might cause an explosion in your air-box.

I could see that if the timing was off...otherwise just how.

Is the fuel pump running, you should hear it for a sec after you turn the key....one of the more informed members on the forum might know....is there any kind of inertia switch on the bike....I really don't know. All FI cars have them to keep the pump from running if there is a sharp hit to the car.

Modern engine should not need starting fluid....old engine in correct trim should not need starting fluid.

That said I have used it in the past....or a splash of gas in a carb to wake an engine from the dead.

Before the rebuild on my 8N the thing was addicted to the stuff. And I remember a few of the aircraft tugs just would not start without a quick sniff in the cold weather. Really a short sniff of it will get it going....but if you do have to use it to get the engine running there is something wrong....it was compression on the diesels and the old Ford.

It can take a while for the plugs to dry out, and some bikes just do not want to be push started.

Keep us updated.

Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant'
is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
....one of the more informed members on the forum might know....is there any kind of inertia switch on the bike......
There IS a "bike-down" inertia switch, mentioned in your OWNERS MANUAL.

Ed

'08 V AZ, '15 V650LT BC
Ride to D2D 2013, June '13

Ride to D2D 2015, June '15

Ride to D2D 2016, June '16

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 05:39 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to silviefox
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddiecopeman View Post
There IS a "bike-down" inertia switch, mentioned in your OWNERS MANUAL.
ya but that only effects the motor when it is running, and once you cycle the key 3 times it restarts (atleast my ninja and seca were that way)

yes im a guy.
Silvie=latin for. Of the forest /woods. Fox= Vulpine (also my middle name)

"closed mindedness causes bliss in simple minded people"
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-23-2015, 09:44 PM

Using Starting fluid could have dire consequences. Such as causing a fire.....!

COG# 5539
IBA# 15034
Team Oregon MC Instructor
"2linby" Get it? "Tooling by"

"Everything is simple, nothing is easy".
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpgt72 View Post
I could see that if the timing was off...otherwise just how.

Is the fuel pump running, you should hear it for a sec after you turn the key....one of the more informed members on the forum might know....is there any kind of inertia switch on the bike....I really don't know. All FI cars have them to keep the pump from running if there is a sharp hit to the car.

Modern engine should not need starting fluid....old engine in correct trim should not need starting fluid.

That said I have used it in the past....or a splash of gas in a carb to wake an engine from the dead.

Before the rebuild on my 8N the thing was addicted to the stuff. And I remember a few of the aircraft tugs just would not start without a quick sniff in the cold weather. Really a short sniff of it will get it going....but if you do have to use it to get the engine running there is something wrong....it was compression on the diesels and the old Ford.

It can take a while for the plugs to dry out, and some bikes just do not want to be push started.

Keep us updated.
Seems to be an electrical issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwillard View Post
Thanks to all, appreciate your comments. Got a good charge on the battery and was able to start the bike yesterday after a small bit of cranking. I'm not expecting this to reoccur after I figure out the source of the charging issue...

... on that note, will run the voltage regular diagnostic (youtube video I believe) and will report back on that as well. Read somewhere that the 2008 models often burned thru VRs.

Thanks,
uwillard

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki Versys Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode