Yesterday I had to remove a leaking fork (AGAIN!) to get the dealer to change the fork-seal (AGAIN!).
First time they did it, the tech put in too much oil which I discovered riding a desert dirt road - the forks were VERY resistant to bumps, ALMOST solid...!
By the time I got home the fork was leaking again, so I took it back to have the CORRECT level of oil checked, bringing MY SERVICE MANUAL, some of the same ATF, and a caliper to measure the levels. Got it all done, re-installed the fork which NOW was 'plush' again, but soon was leaking oil. Obviously the seal got "hydraulicked" when I hit the bumps w/ TOO much oil in it! I phoned them, they admitted their fault and that they would change the seal again when I brought the fork in, which I told them would be soon, as I wanted to change-out the TKC80 knobbie.
I've seen articles talking about using "zip-ties" around the tire, making it easier to install, so I figured I would "give it a shot", buying a pack of 100 11" zip-ties at Harbor-Freight a week ago for $2. A member here mentioned that he'd found that probably 50% would NOT lock (MY experience too, a few years back), but I thought I'd give it a try. (And ALL 34 ties worked perfectly, so H-F must have found a better supplier!)
The rotors were getting near the 'wear-limit', so I bought two more rotors thru Ebay, and planned to change them at the same time, thus "killing three birds" at one time.
The wheel (minus the old rotors) and the Tourance 130/80 I'd removed in October '14 w/ 18,xxx miles on it were set in the sun. After the TKC80 was nice and warm, I 'broke' the bead then sprayed some WD40 along the two beads, then got out the tire-spoons (incidentally I HAVE used WD40 as a tire lube before!). Could NOT believe how quickly and easily that TKC came off!
I wiped down the rim, inside and out, then attached 17 pairs of zip-ties around the Tourance, cinched them up so the two beads were very close, and lubed the beads w/ tire lube.
I positioned it on the rim, put two spoons in, twisted, then another spoon. Twisted IT - the tire SLIPPED RIGHT on!!! W/out a doubt - THAT was the EASIEST tire install ever for me, particularly as I've found the Tourances to be VERY hard to mount.
I cut, then removed the zip-ties, aired it up to 'set' the bead, refilled it w/ 'dyna-beads" and filled it to 36psi - DONE in minutes!
I had already 'chased' the threads where the rotor bolts go (LOTS of some sort of red thread-locker from the factory), then run the rotor-bolts thru a die to clean them, so installing the new rotors (blue Loctite) and torquing them was a ten minute job.
Now, once I get the fork repaired later today I can re-install it and the wheel tomorrow!
BTW - here's what a TKC80 w/ 8,467 miles on it (AZ miles...) looks like...!